The EU and passengers who can't carry their bags

Paul Kennedy

Read the following on the ConservativeHome website, did think of putting it in he "Daft" topic, but felt it deserved a topic of its own, no doubt it will encourage others to list some more EU daftness.

"On my way to South Africa via Virgin Airways, I was assisted by a very nice lady with my luggage. Her role was to help passengers who faced walking difficulties. As we chatted she told me she had done the job for ten years but was soon to be made redundant. When I asked why, she said that an EU Directive had decreed that airlines were no longer allowed to provide assistance for passengers with difficulties.

The EU Directive meant that only airport operators (e.g. BAA) would be allowed to organise assistance for passengers. Apparently this had come about because a couple of years ago, a disabled passenger had sued Ryanair for charging for wheelchair assistance. So instead of dealing with one problem, the EU passed an all-encompassing directive.

If anything symbolises the heavy handed nature of the EU, this is it. Now thanks to the EU, passengers will have to rely on the competence of BAA - which from experience will fill anyone with trepidation. Interestingly, my soon-to-be-redundant helper maintained a wonderful cheery disposition despite knowing she was to lose her job soon. She added that Mr Branson had had no idea about the EU Directive and had been shocked!"

A fact I can't deny...but there are many of us who are deeply concerned by the excesses of the EU and do genuinely want to do something about it.

AS I think most people know, I'm a small government person...leaving people who can, to get on with their lives without state interference and micro management of their lives.

This from the Daily Mirror...who else:

Met chiefs called him "very stupid" after the Mirror filmed him breaking four road laws - including going past a red light - in 22 minutes.

They will send a cycling expert to give safety tips. But Tory London mayor hopeful Boris Johnson had no sympathy for him and declared: "We should have zero tolerance of cyclists when they break the rules."

Maybe the Met should send a security expert....with lessons on how to avoid journalists.....or worse others who might wish to do Cameron harm....or were they security men following him on their bikes on the film clips I saw.

It's all very well talking about EU Directives - but can you actually name the EU Directive in question? Me and a few lawyer friends looked this up and we can't find any such directive.....sounds like someone has been taking the mickey here.....

Generally it is not the EU Directives that are at fault but the way that they are interpreted.

For example some public sector organisations have got into their head that every post must be competitive (thus getting rid of the concept of promotion and succession planning) and increasing recruitment costs and staff turnover. This has been blamed on an EU Directive - however the Directive in question doesn't say anything of the sort.

And hey if we weren't part of the EU what would the ignorant Brits blame things on then?

It comes under:EC Regulation 1107/2006 If I have read it correctly, responsibility for assisting disabled passengers on and off planes FREE OF CHARGE lies with the airport authority. However the airport authority may allow airlines to take over this responsibility. The point being that disabled passengers shouldn't have to pay extra to board planes, which is a reasonable enough expectation. It's a pity that the greed of some operators has given the EU the opportunity to wield its sledgehammer again. :roll::roll:

Ah ha, this piece of legislation is a Regulation rather than a Directive. Regulations are binding in their entirety and directly applicable in all member states and take effect without further enactment. So in this case it is not subject to interpretation by UK Civil Servants, nor does it need additional UK legislation.

As was previously mentioned the UK does tend to enact Directives based on the more extreme/catch all interpretation.

That's right, but the fault is the UK's, if our Ministers can't control their Civil Servants or agree to everything they are told by them, then we will aways end up having an OTT interpretation of EU Directives. In order to get their way, I understand senior Civil Servants often say to Ministers something along the lines, "Ah but Minister if you don't legislate in this way then you will be personally liable.....and you might lose your house and any savings you have....indeed you might be made bankrupt, at which point you can no longer be an MP....or a Minister of State"

Can be somewhat compelling do you not think. :wink:

When I fly to Cyprus from manchester, I can take one piece of hand luggage and one clear bag Etc....

When I fly from Cyprus to Manchester, I can bring what I want as long as it goes through the scanner.

When I fly to Cyprus from manchester, It can take ages to get through security checks, When I arrive in Manchester take ages to get through security checks.

When I arrive in Cyprus I have maybe a 2 minute delay, when I leave Cyprus there is no delay.

When at Manchester the staff are all sour faced at Cyprus its all smiles.

EU regulations can work in some countries very well. That is apart from the UK.

[ 24.03.2008, 13:18: Message edited by: Steve the original ]