Plastic bags?

observer

With Asda home delivery, when you do your order online you are asked if you want your shopping in bags. If you tick "yes" you are charged for an appropriate number of bags depending on the size of your order.

So if you tick 'No' what does it come in then ?

I just found the info on Asda's website (it's the little things in life that trouble me) although it doesn't actually say what happens if you chose the 'no bags' option for home deliveries. 

I guess all the stuff comes in their plastic delivery boxes and the driver has to wait while you unpack so he can have his boxes back, or maybe you have to unpack on the doorstep into your own carrier bags :lol:

If you opt for carrier bags with your order they charge a flat rate of 40p.  So if you did a HUGE shop you'd get some bags for free  :lol: 

Heres what they say....god I'm so boring at times

Do the new carrier bag charges apply to Home Shopping deliveries

You can avoid the carrier bag charges by checking the “no bags” option when you order. If you wish to have your shopping delivered in bags we will charge a flat fee of 40p.

What about Click and Collect?

If you collect from a manned Click and Collect point (e.g. in store) then you can choose to collect your shopping bagless and bring your own bags, or pay a flat fee of 40p for you to pick up in bags.
If you collect your shopping from a remote location (e.g. a locker) we cannot unfortunately offer the “no bags” option so you will need to pay the flat rate fee of 40p.

Will I still be charged if I use self serve checkouts?

The charges apply to carrier bags at all checkouts including self scan checkouts.
ou will be asked at the start of the checkout process if you have your own bags or if you would like to buy one. If you choose the second option you will be asked how many bags you wish to purchase.

and here's where Asdas bag money (less vat) for is going..... which is good to know :D

We’ve teamed up with Iceland, Morrisons and Waitrose to pledge that the proceeds from the new 5p carrier bag charges in England will fund the construction of a new world class dementia research centre.

Building the new centre is a £350 million project and is £100 million short of its target. It is hoped money from the carrier bag charges across all four retailers could meet this shortfall.

Well I reckon a large proportion of the £100 million shortfall will come from my pocket because I am always forgetting to take bags..... I am a very impulsive shopper. Went into town today to buy Janice Hayes new book and to go to the bank. Bought the book, had to buy a carruier bag. Walked past Debenhams, went in, bought stuff, had to buy a bag....

Good job they are building that dementia centre too as that will come in handy as well by the looks of things!!

:lol: :lol:  You and me both Baz although I have to say considering I've bought so many over the last few weeks I don't actually seem to have many in my cupboard. 
Guess Mr Dizzy has been using them for black bin rubbish again.  Bugger I really likes my Asda coca-colan ones too :(

I didn't know JH had a new book out.  What's it about or is it just repeats of what's already been in all the other books again? 

Believe me PJ if I ever do design one that works you will be the very first person on it  :lol: :P

Judging by how you are coping with the pretty simple fact that carrier bags are no longer free all the time,  I will be staying put for the foreseeable future :wink:

I know they aren't free now PJ, blimey I've bought enough over the past few weeks to know that by now but I just can't get myself to carry round my 'for life' ones in my jeans pockets and even remembering to put a stash of them in my car and remember to take theme into a supermarket with me is just as hard with my shopping habits. 

Past caring though to be honest now but hey the way I'm going I'll may have wing or the new dementia building named after me for my very generous contributions.  If you have used your own then you are not contributing and are a right meanie  :P 

I'm sure Morrisons and Tesco must know how many bags I've already bought thanks to my store cards they swipe at their tills whenever I shop there.  Do Asda have similar cards as I'd like one now please :D  I might email them all to ask under a FOI exactly what I have bought over the past year..including carrier bags :lol:

Anyway please leave me alone now as I'm actually very bad mood (hard to tell eh, but I hide it well)  but the slightest little thing could easily push me over the edge tonight though and I may flip.  I'd hate to think that I may take my anger out on some poor little unsuspecting and innocent carrier bag :shock::wacko:8):lol:

After reading and absorbing the mindblowing information in this topic I believe ALL plastic mines on this planet should be closed down immediately and I for one have decided to cease using any item that contains plastic and yes that means margarine also, and as a non swimmer I shall never paddle in the sea again, thank you all for ruining my life, I am so depressed that I have decided to go and hang myself, that is if I can find a hemp rope.

After reading and absorbing the mindblowing information in this topic I believe ALL plastic mines on this planet should be closed down immediately and I for one have decided to cease using any item that contains plastic and yes that means margarine also, and as a non swimmer I shall never paddle in the sea again, thank you all for ruining my life, I am so depressed that I have decided to go and hang myself, that is if I can find a hemp rope.

you should have started your boycott of using anything made from plastic with your keyboard :wink:

Just a thought ,but how can Asda etc decide to use the bag charge less VAT to fund a hospital ? I thought the 5p was a government green levy to help in our efforts to save the planet. If these companies have a say in what they do with the money then what is to stop them just boosting company profits with the bag charge ?

Davy, it is doing a bit of both. As we have read on here and seen in other countries where the bag charges have been introduced, there is a significant drop in the amount of bags being used and ending up in landfill. Also the small percentage of shoppers who choose to purchase a bag will be giving to a worthy cause. It's a sort of win win scenario.

:lol: :lol:  :lol:  

Just a thought ,but how can Asda etc decide to use the bag charge less VAT to fund a hospital ? I thought the 5p was a government green levy to help in our efforts to save the planet. If these companies have a say in what they do with the money then what is to stop them just boosting company profits with the bag charge ?

Here's what it says on the Governments website Davy51

How the proceeds will be used

This is not a tax and the money from the charge does not go to the government.

We expect retailers to donate the proceeds of the scheme to good causes, but it is for them to choose what to do, and which causes to support.

Retailers will need to report to us about what they do with the money from the charge, and we will publish this information each year.

from here..... https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/single-use-plastic-carrier-bags-why-were-introducing-the-charge/carrier-bags-why-theres-a-5p-charge

and here's their video, tiny bit at the end re where the money goes

• 1 month later...