Plastic bags?

observer

Cherry picking a newspaper report of 7 years ago PJ? And not mentioning the part about shipping emissions being less than cars, industry, housing and agriculture. As for CO2 being a pollutant, this is a much disputed area. CO2 is necessary for life as it is plant food, and is at an historically low level at present. The recent increase in atmospheric CO2 has led to an observable greening of the planet with large areas of the Sahel for example being returned to agriculture and crop yields world-wide increasing.

You seem to be a denier of anything and everything you don't wish to believe.  The fact is that shipping and its solution of our oceans is getting worse not better.  As for the age of the article, it shows how little shipping has done to clean its act up.  Are you honestly saying that no pollution from shipping exists?  If so you are seriously deluded. That it produces less co2 than cars has no bearing on the fact that it produces twice as much as aviation. Many unscrupulous ship operators are deliberately discharging bilge into the oceans merely to save money . Even if we deny the effects of co2 you still have the soot and sulphur emissions, but I suppose none of that is true either.

You seem to be a denier of anything and everything you don't wish to believe.  The fact is that shipping and its solution of our oceans is getting worse not better.  As for the age of the article, it shows how little shipping has done to clean its act up.  Are you honestly saying that no pollution from shipping exists?  If so you are seriously deluded. That it produces less co2 than cars has no bearing on the fact that it produces twice as much as aviation. Many unscrupulous ship operators are deliberately discharging bilge into the oceans merely to save money . Even if we deny the effects of co2 you still have the soot and sulphur emissions, but I suppose none of that is true either.

Utter claptrap. Newspapers give out alarmist stories like this because good news doesn't sell newspapers. I sail on these waters and the evidence is there in front of my eyes every day. You would think from that article that an enclosed area of water like the North Sea would be a stinking, lifeless cesspit but nothing could be further from the truth. There are whales, dolphins and seals aplenty, and the sheer number and diversity of seabirds in evidence would astound you. And of course the fishing vessels that are the bane of my life wouldn't be there if there were no fish to catch. You need to go out into the real world and look at the evidence with your own eyes rather than believing cut and paste journalism in the Grauniad. Soot and sulphur emissions are being dealt with by international legislation Only last week I was told that the EMSA is using drones to "sniff" the exhasts of ships in European waters to catch any who are breaking the law. They already use spotter planes to catch any ship illegally discharging waste, and the fines are very heavy.

Did I deny that there are still some ships breaking the law? No of course not, but you would have it that the situation is getting worse when in actual fact it is getting a whole lot better. Crude oil tankers used to wash their tanks straight overboard into the sea, not any more. All ships used to throw all their garbage overboard, not any more. Ships used to burn high sulphur fuel oil, not any more. It isn't easy getting the whole world to agree on international regulations but the shipping world is getting there, and the cowboys are being pushed out of contention by shippers not wanting to be associated with their illegal practices. Global shipping is a massive industry and policing it is a difficult task but great effort has been put into it and the results are there to see for anyone who wants to use their eyes.

Slight digression: according to a news item, the 5p's will be used for "good causes, providing an estimated £750million. Slightly puzzling, if the objective is to reduce, if not end, the use of plastic bags, in the interest of the environment. Unless of course, the "good causes" will be complimentary action to clean up the environmental damage from plastic bags. :unsure:

Slight digression: according to a news item, the 5p's will be used for "good causes, providing an estimated £750million. Slightly puzzling, if the objective is to reduce, if not end, the use of plastic bags, in the interest of the environment. Unless of course, the "good causes" will be complimentary action to clean up the environmental damage from plastic bags. :unsure:

Does seem rather contradictory I agree.  I wonder if any of the 39p I paid for my large re-usable bag at Morrisons today goes towards charity.  Yes despite all they hype and reminders I forgot to take one of the ones I already have as usual  :oops:  :lol:

Odd though as they usually have re-usable bags of all sizes and prices available to buy and hung up at all the tills but today they only had a few (about 10) and they were on one stand away from the tills.  Either people had been buying them all day which was why there weren't many or they'd moved them out of sight to aid selling off all the 'now' 5p ones.

Reminder to myself though....never put all your shopping on ONE 39p bag.  I really struggled to lift the blummin' thing out of the trolley into my car because it was so heavy and my back and arm is really sore now :(

Meet my new re-suable bag which I've named 'Bob'....... odd I know and no doubt he will have a new brother or sister soon when I forget to take him next time too  :lol:

morrisons%20shopping%20bag_zpsax25thva.j

Presume you mean "reduced" use?  In which case they wouldn't be getting as many 5p's for these "good causes".   There was one customer interviewed who didn't seem to mind paying the addition, so I guess he'll continue to pollute the waste tip !   Diz, Bob looks cute, but he'll need some siblings !  :lol:

I'm sure Bob will have an ever growing family very soon, he will be the big brother as no way am I going to buy/use that size again unless it's for light items.

At one time you could just get empty boxes of all shapes and sizes from the ends of the tills at Morrisons to use.  I wonder why they stopped doing that as we could just put them in our blue bins and they wouldn't have to pay to recycle them all....or do they sell them to recycling companies now ?   Oh the happy days of getting those boxes and turning them into boats, cars, dens and stuff for our lad when he was little. 

Re people paying 5p now and still sending the bads to pollute the waste tip I'm sure long term it will be worse at landfill though as like I already said I used to use my plastic bags (most said biodegradable/degradable on them) for putting waste in prior to going in the black bin.  Now I'll be using more of the others like black bin sacks and as I always tend to buy the stronger ones surely they will take way longer to break down,

And don't forget the council advice for the summer to double bag food waste to prevent maggots and flies.

Local spar are donating their 5p's to a charity (cannot remember which one) but did buy a bag and must say that the ones they are now selling are a lot more substantial than the free ones they gave you.

When doing a supermarket shop i leave the bags in teh car and then pack them there. save having to carry heavy bags to the car and makes it a bit quicker at teh till as i don't have to stand there packing, just straight back into the trolley,pay and off to the car. It tends to get me a bit wound up when i stand there whilst people sort through the shopping putting stuff into bags and then waiting as one of the less crushable items was the last thing they took out of the trolley but needs to be the first thing to put in the bag.

as i remeber aldi always charged for thier bags and have large window ledges to allow shoppers to pack their bags away from the till. speeds customers through the till and the more customers they can get through the more they are likely to get going back to shop there

I do the same as you Sid, much quicker and easier to sort the packing away from the till. As for bin bags, some generous person is forever putting white ones with charity logos on through my letter box. They are quite substantial enough for a week's rubbish 8) :cool:

Just visited one of a large S/Markets, and was given several small clear plastic bags, I checked that they weren't 5p each, and was told there was no charge. Although small, these bags are still plastic, so what's going on?  Pair of shoes the other day, shoe box placed in plastic bag - no charge; totally confusing.  :unsure:

• Downvote 1

:lol: :lol:  Now there's a thought though, most supermarkets have done away with the £1 coins you have to put in trolleys and I know Morrisons near me have so I could just walk my shopping home in one of their trolleys. 
I wonder if they would mind as long as I take it back next time I go :wink:

And don't forget the council advice for the summer to double bag food waste to prevent maggots and flies.

Correct, but now we'll all probably use thicker bags to do it rather than flimsy free carrier bags from the shops. And still all going to landfil....

Local spar are donating their 5p's to a charity (cannot remember which one) but did buy a bag

and must say that the ones they are now selling are a lot more substantial than the free ones they gave you.

Our little local corner shop are now selling there same naff bags that often don't make it to the car without splitting for 5p. Obviously I haven't bought one and I just carried my

bits to the car (getting good at it now and didn't drop any). Someone did have to open the door for me and I was only able to grunt my thanks though as I was carrying a loaf

between my teeth. Their 10p bags are quite strong though but they have been selling those for ages anyway and I've never bought one before so not going to now.

When doing a supermarket shop i leave the bags in the car and then pack them there. save having to carry heavy bags to the

car and makes it a bit quicker at the till as i don't have to stand there packing, just straight back into the trolley,pay and off to the car.

Surely if you timed it though that way would be taking a longer to do as you are doing an extra 'back in/out' of the trolley cycle

It tends to get me a bit wound up when i stand there whilst people sort through the shopping putting stuff into bags and

then waiting as one of the less crushable items was the last thing they took out of the trolley but needs to be the first thing to put in the bag.

You need to relax and not let things wind you up :lol:  Maybe when you are stood in a queue waiting while someone packs their bags you should look at is as a blessing as you are

having a little rest.  When I get my stuff out of my trolley I just put it in groups on the conveyor so dead easy and quick to pack. ie fridge stuff goes together, tins go together etc and all in

order of weight pretty much. Doesn't take any time to do it at all and hardly any effort, well ok so maybe that's cos the person in front is usually being slow or having a chin wag with

the cashier

as i remeber aldi always charged for their bags and have large window ledges to allow shoppers to pack their bags away from the till. speeds customers through the till and the more customers they can get through the more they are likely to get going back to shop there

Yes they have always charged but blimey going through their tills is like an olympic sport :lol:    They are all timed though and if one till operatives doesn't meet the time target NONE of them get their bonus.  They must get more stressed than you do if there's a slow person packing.

Crikey.... just realised here I am wittering on about carrier bags at 1am in the morning and it's black bin day tomorrow and I've not put my bin out, best go and do it.  They will be here for it in 6 hours and no way will I be up then now :lol:

Oooh remind me never to go out at 1am to put my bin out My bins fine but look at 2 of my neighbours bins.  I had an extra bag that wouldn't fit in mine so was going to put it in one of theirs if there was space as there usually is.

Covered in maggots and they were VERY active.  Do they come out at night when it's damp or something  YEUCH !!  

Wouldn't mind but the bin lids were fully closed so how on earth did they get there ?   The neighbours will be mortified if they are still there tomorrow and I'm sure they must have no idea about what has been lurking.

Got to feel sorry for the bin men tomorrow morning too if they are still there and god knows how the open bins left out 24/7 will be !!

Maybe we need to trebble bag....anyone got any thick heavy duty carriers bags spare.....

IMG_3564_zpste9nwkpp.jpg

IMG_3565_zpsrectie9b.jpg

Are you all coping ok without your placky bags then and remembering to take one with you when you shop :lol: 

I'm failing miserably already and had to buy a little brother for my bag 'Bob' from Morrisons yesterday as I blummin' forgot to take him to the shops with me.  I also relented and bought a 10p one from the corner shop tonight which I named 'Cecil' and have to say it is really sturdy, was nice to carry and will last way longer than if I'd bought 2 of their 5p thin ones. 

Well it would have lasted longer if I'd not just found it tied up with tonights meal leftovers and other rubbish in ready for going in the black bin.  Mr Dizzy has killed Cecil :shock: :shock: :( :sad: