CANCELLED - Last Vulcan Bomber to fly over Runcorn/Widnes - Saturday

Dizzy

EDIT FRIDAY.... THE FLY PAST HERE HAS BEEN CANCELLED :(

Might be of interest to some on here.....

THE last remaining flying bomber designed by a legendary Widnes born aircraft designer will fly over the Silver Jubilee Bridge at the weekend as a tribute.

The Avro Vulcan will take to the skies over Runcorn and Widnes on Saturday, September 19, and is due to appear over the bridge at 1.40pm

more info here....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/last-flying-vulcan-bomber-fly-10077865

It's passing over Widnes on it's way to the Southport Airshow which is running this weekend and it will be the last chance to see this incredible aircraft in the air before they ground it for good.

The event is on for two days but the Vulcan is only flying on Saturday. http://www.visitsouthport.com/whats-on/air-show/southport-air-show

I've been to several of the shows there and can highly recommend it for a brilliant day out but you need to get there early as early as possible because the roads get gridlocked. 

I'm the one doing the wing walk on the typhoon so give me a wave.

Bill :)

The fly over the Jubilee Bridge has been CANCELLED this afternoon :( :sad:  

"due to concerns regarding public safety and the very strong likelihood that there will be extreme traffic congestion in the local area"

more here..... 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/planned-flypast-widnes-designers-jet-10084568

There's an air show over Southport this week-end, not sure which planes are involved?

I'm not sure either Obs the shows website says Vulcan bomber is definitely going to be there and so are the red arrows.  I wish I could go as I've seen video's and photos from previous years shows and it looks fantastic.

They did raise a lot of money, but the parts for the Vulcan have now massively exceeded their original design lifetime limits and there just are no spare parts to keep it going. Mind you, there is a consortium now that is trying to get a Concorde flying again by 2019

I would love to see that again :)

They did raise a lot of money, but the parts for the Vulcan have now massively exceeded their original design lifetime limits and there just are no spare parts to keep it going. Mind you, there is a consortium now that is trying to get a Concorde flying again by 2019

I would love to see that again :)

well that was a waste of money then, can't parts be manufactured?

Concord, I understand why concord was withdrawn from scheduled flights but why was it completely retired? Richard Brandson was one of a few who offered to keep it flying.

There was a story  a few years ago to get Concord flying again by 2012 but I believe the Concord type certificate was surrender so it could never fly again for air travel, it could only fly at air shows, to get the air certificates back would cost £100 milion pounds I am told and all the parts were disposed off too.

IN the 50s and 60s, they come up with passenger supersonic air travel, jump jets and jumbo jets. 50 years on only jumbo jets have been developed, disappointing

Southport Airshow - 19th September, 2015.
The co-Captain was Martin Withers, who took the Vulcan into operational flying when he flew her down to the Falkland Islands and dropped twenty one 1.000lb bombs on the Port Stanley runway.

'Don't cry, because it's over, Smile because it happened. But if you can't do that, At least smile through the tears.'

https://youtu.be/LPCGT_DXh_Q

Did a fire protection design for the AV Roe plant outside of Stockport in the early sixties, spent a month there. Saw the production line in operation and watched a test pilot doing 'circuits and bumps' on the inplant airstrip during lunchbreak - amazing sight. Even saw a couple of mechanics knocking a soccer ball around on the wings of a parked Vulcan.

Certainly was a big aircraft! I watched it turning from Southport after it's flypast at what must have been somewhere near Blackpool and it looked just like a giant moth in the sky.

You can watch all the videos you like but what you won't get is the sound that this plane makes that literally shakes your whole body and the totally bizarre time differences between what you're observing v what you're hearing.

Quite a lot of people had already left on Saturday before the awesome Typhoon (Euro fighter) arrived for the last flight of the day and this was soooooooooo loud it had young kids screaming and dogs going berserk.

I dont think this plane would ever need to drop bombs, it'd scare most people to death just with the noise!

Bill :)

Did you go and see it at Southport Hill Cliffe Walker :D

Not so lucky, Dizzy - but only knew about the event after seeing your notice about it not flying over the Jubilee Bridge.

Watching the 11 minute YouTube link was one the highlights of my weekend - I lead a sheltered life these days,  :wink:

that is, when I'm not walking past Jacob's Well and the Park Lane reservoir.