New law on smoking in cars ?

observer

Can't all the cctv road monitoring cameras everywhere pick them up somehow ?

You only have to look at the appeal pictures "do you recognise these people susupected of....." in the G******n to work that one out and they are taken whilst they are wandering around on foot.

As a thought do speed cameras still use film or have things now progressed to using a hard drive and internet connection in these modern times.

You only have to look at the appeal pictures "do you recognise these people susupected of....." in the G******n to work that one out and they are taken whilst they are wandering around on foot.

As a thought do speed cameras still use film or have things now progressed to using a hard drive and internet connection in these modern times.

Speed cameras now usually use digital imagery so they can run 24/7 and never run out of film..... a full time cash cow :)

Ever wanted proof that the Police are using speed cameras as a means to generate money and not as a weapon to promote safer driving?

Watch this video of a Police car parked on the hard shoulder of a three lane motorway or A road. The copper is stood next to his car with a speed camera.

The hard shoulder is for emergency use only and by parking here to generate income, the police man is causing a greater danger than those he would argue he is preventing....

The TV news tonight said Police forces have said that they wont be enforcing the new smoking ban but will instead be taking a 'non-confrontational approach' in the hope to 'educate' people.

Surely if all the adverts and other warnings over the years haven't stopped people smoking in cars with young children this approach is unlikely to have any effect either.

Sort of makes a mockery of the new law making it illegal if even the police aren't going to enforce it.  

I can't find the actual news clip on-line but this says similar to it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11900025/Police-will-turn-blind-eye-to-new-smoking-ban-in-cars.html 

This happens a lot Dizzy.... look at the 20mph limits, the Police can't/won't enforce that law or the mandatory speed limits that go with it. Even the mobile phone law only has about 7,000 convictions a year on average.... I must see that many myself over a year!

Seeing as they haven't invented a camera that can detect mobile phone use or smoking in cars, the police would have to deploy more resources (which they might do every so often when they have a purge) but they just don't have the resources anymore as many forces have left policing the motorist to the cameras and have cut down on the number of actual traffic cars

Dereliction of duty is , sadly, not a rare thing in our Police force, doesn't make crime ok though.  Perhaps the proliferation of mobile phones with cameras and video and concerned citizens can help stop this totally unnecessary activity by scumbags.  Get them on Facebook and twitter and shame them :wink:

Legislating for it is superficial imo, and as now been proven, cannot be policed. If you people had the courage of your convictions, you'd go for a total ban, but alas that might interfere with a nice tax take by HMG. A much simpler solution would be to class smoking, texting or even eating whilst driving, as dangerous driving; and a level of liability accorded in any accident or insurance claim.

Dereliction of duty is , sadly, not a rare thing in our Police force, doesn't make crime ok though.  Perhaps the proliferation of mobile phones with cameras and video and concerned citizens can help stop this totally unnecessary activity by scumbags.  Get them on Facebook and twitter and shame them :wink:

But if you were to take a photo or video with your cameraphone whilst you yourself were moving (or even stationary at traffic lights or a junction), you are also breaking the law

But if you were to take a photo or video with your cameraphone whilst you yourself were moving (or even stationary at traffic lights or a junction), you are also breaking the law

Who mentioned taking photos or video whilst driving,  it is possible to do things not in a car you know, like walking for instance, and smoking.

Legislating for it is superficial imo, and as now been proven, cannot be policed. If you people had the courage of your convictions, you'd go for a total ban, but alas that might interfere with a nice tax take by HMG. A much simpler solution would be to class smoking, texting or even eating whilst driving, as dangerous driving; and a level of liability accorded in any accident or insurance claim.

Right so as most people at some time in their day speed, and obviously the police don't catch them all should we make it a free for all on the roads where we can go whatever speed we fancy?  No, as that would lead to avoidable injury and deaths, much like smoking in a car with children as passengers can.  There is nothing but laziness, ignorance and negligence stopping a driver pulling over, feeding his habit outside the vehicle and then driving on again.  As I said, indefensible except by loons

Good news for all, the ban appears to have had an effect.  This morning I was dropping my daughter at the school and on Monday and Tuesday the 2 serial scumbags had rolled up in their cars smoking with their children as passengers.  Today, neither the woman in the Mercedes or the man in the Fiesta were smoking.  I know it's anecdotal and a small sample but that is a 100% success at this school :wink:  It's not hard is it?

All this enforcement should be interesting. There was a lady being interviewed on today's  BBC news from the Police Federation saying that, due to all the cuts , enforcing smoking bans will be very low on a policeman's "things to do today" list

Furthermore ,Merseyside Police have announced that 300+ PCSO jobs are on the line plus mounted police jobs. That could be just the template for other forces to follow suit.

Furthermore ,Merseyside Police have announced that 300+ PCSO jobs are on the line plus mounted police jobs. That could be just the template for other forces to follow suit.

I suppose they could always raise a few quid selling the horses to the French

All this enforcement should be interesting. There was a lady being interviewed on today's  BBC news from the Police Federation saying that, due to all the cuts , enforcing smoking bans will be very low on a policeman's "things to do today" list

That sounds like a similar news interview I saw today which was followed by a mother of 3 saying she smoked in her car with her kids present (presumably young kids as she didn't look very old) but then she continued to say she would NOT stop doing it 'as she was addicted'. It really made my blood boil when I heard her say that.

Yes smoking is an addiction and hard for some to stop etc but for god sake despite the so called addiction it's NOT that hard to wait until you are on your own in a more open space to light up so you are not affecting anyone else ESPECIALLY YOUR CHILDREN !! 

Shame the news didn't name her so she gets the slating she deserves but there will be many more just like her who carry on doing it regardless.  

As someone who packed in smoking 30 years ago, all I can say is WIND YOUR HEADS IN AND STOP THIS STUPID VILLIFICATION OF SMOKERS. Second hand smoke is not the deadly killer that it has been made out to be. Complete over-reaction driven by the media as usual.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1