New law on smoking in cars ?

observer

Most modern HGVs in the UK & Europe now use the urea additive which is also supposed to contribute to improving fuel consumption. 

As for emissions ,i find it hard to believe that VW are alone in duping the powers that be & would expect this trickery to be exposed across the whole spectrum of vehicle manufacturers who are producing similar figures for emissions.

So few peoples car tax will suddenly rise by a huge amount then will it. Wonder if my car is one of those affected? probably not as it does not even have to pass an emission test as part of it's mot and it is only four years old.

The worry is not my having to handle stinking paperwork and cash but the conditions being forced upon the small children having to live in a place that've so rank with smoke everything that comes out of it stinks so strongly of smoke

And the solution to that is ban smoking altogether,gaol anybody that breaks the law, put the kids into care where they may grow up in a safe friendly environment that is stress free.

Latest kick off is the one where the school has been pilloried by a parent because they would not allow her 14 year old to use an electronic cig in school. aparently she got it for him to get him off his ten a day habit which he has had since he was 12 years old. her claim is that it is helping him to kick the habit. Er no it isn't it is just pandering to it.

So few peoples car tax will suddenly rise by a huge amount then will it. Wonder if my car is one of those affected? probably not as it does not even have to pass an emission test as part of it's mot and it is only four years old.

Not just that Sid.... emissions are also used to determine the amount people pay in tax on company vehicles. Diesel car and van drivers who use their vehicles for any kind of private use may well end up with an increased tax bill and it can be back dated for up to 6 years

Now there's a bonus for Gideon :)

Not working - look around when your driving. 

So you accept you were wrong then and people are being prosecuted for using mobile phone whilst driving.  Why did you say they weren't when you had already been shown evidence to the contrary.  Just because emissions are harmful doesn't make the disgusting act of smoking in a car with children inside any less harmful or negligent and thankfully now punishable .

utter bunkem with a chunk of sexism for good measure.  If a copper sees a driver of any sex  head down texting whilst driving along they will pull them, unless they are on an emergency call etc.  You have been shown figures of prosecutions for this yet for some inexplicable reason you seem unable to accept it.  Just because you see people breaking the law it doesn't mean they won't get pulled if caught.  Just accept you were wrong and the debate can move along :wink:

Errm no they won't and don't: texting tends to occur in heavy traffic queues, waiting for traffic lights etc. The offenders will busily text away, occasionally looking up to see if traffic has started to move. The only people who would be able to view this offence, is the driver in front (through rear view mirror); any driver alongside (in the opposite lane) or a pedestrian. Assuming a copper had any intention of spoiling his/her day by stopping the offender, it might involve some chaotic stoppage of traffic - so it won't happen. Baz, I was thinking that too !

Look, its not hard, smoking in a car with child as a passenger is wrong and indefensible.  People who do this sort of thing are beyond shaming out of it.  They are oblivious to how much damage this can do to a child's lungs or they are not bothered.  Their addiction may blind them to the harm they are causing but I doubt it.  They should be pulled,  fined and punished for what they are inflicting on their own children.  

Smoking in a car vs using a phone in a car to call or text.. which is worse or as both as bad?  Obviously the latter could and does lead to a much quicker death for the occupants or others in the same car on on the same road.

If it was up to me though I'd ban anyone from driving who smokes in the car with youn kids, I'd also do the same for anyone who uses their mobile while in so called control of the wheel and those who shaves, use a laptop, put make up on blah blah blah (I've seen them all) then after banning I'd crush their phones etc then their cars...and then them :evil:

The police can't be expected to be everywhere all the time so the prosecution numbers are small and in no way a true representation of just how many idiots do STILL do it and get away with it.  

Can't all the cctv road monitoring cameras everywhere pick them up somehow ?  Surely modern day technology could find a way....

They are not impractical to police, just inconvenient to Police. The Police and speed cameras were catching 115,549 motorists in 2014 but only just over 7000 for using a phone, so which is easier to get a conviction and the all important fine? The police would need to have evidence of someone smoking in a car, photographic at a minimum.... no proof would mean no conviction. Right or wrong, it certainly won't be easy for them

As an incredibly safe driver, I have never been done for speeding so in my opinion, we should have a cull of everyone who has ever been done by a camera for starters.... this would remove a third of the motorists on the road and leave it a safer place for the rest of us :)