New law on smoking in cars ?

observer

Who thinks the wording of legislation up? Seems an adult can't smoke while driving a car; if any of the passengers are under 18. BUT, if a 17yo drives the car, they are allowed to smoke, either on their own or with adult passengers. Well, I'm sure this will be enforced as stringently as the ban on using mobile phones !

But don't you have to be eighteen or over to buy tobacco products?

That being the case then a seveteen year old smoking in the car must have broken the law or caused somebody to brek the law along the way.

next point is that you cannot smoke in your car with anybody in under eighteen but you can smoke in your own home with kids of any age present and the law cannot do anything about it......YET!

hypothetical case then. you have a people carrier with darkened windows in the back. the kids are in there but cannot be seen because the windows are blacked out. you are smoking in the front. how will they know if you are breaking the law or not. will they be pulling everycar over with blackend windows and a smokeer in the front seat? I don't think so.

so another law that is going to be ignored.

I've just been reading something on a taxi website where a driver failed to comply with a local bylaw and was taken to task by the council for a ten pence overcharge.

The council claimed that this minor infringement of the law could possibly invalidated his insurance. It did and he was taken to court, fined £850 and got eight points on his licence. 

I doubt many of us read the fine print on our insurance but it's a scary thought that breaking a seemingly trivial law can have such drastic results.

Bill :)

When they brought in the smoking ban in the workplace, they also said it was to include any vehicle that carried a company name or any HGV from what I recall.... how many prosecutions have there been I wonder and how many for not displaying no smoking signs of at least 70mm diameter in ALL company vehicles capable of carrying two or more people?

http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/regulatory/health--safety/the-smoking-ban-and-company-vehicles/

If they can't police this where it is pretty obvious that a lorry driver or van driver smoking in the cab is breaking the law, what chance of them policing the new smoking in cars with kids law?

Its a disgrace that we need a ban on smoking in a car with a child as a passenger.  Who in their right minds would do such a disgusting thing?

The bloody stupid woman I saw (a passenger in the front of a car) and not only was she smoking but she had a little tot SAT ON HER KNEE !!    :evil: :evil: :evil:

Think we could take bets on how long it will be for the Police to actually decide, whilst on the road, who's under 18, especially if they're in the back with blacked out windows.  Haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted yet, for using a mobile, something we see every day.

This was recieved as a freedom of information request (From 2012)

335gy1k.jpg

As I said, human scum, sadly they qualify as both.  Just read what I put instead of making it up.  I see , as per , you swerve the pertinent question.  Do you or have you ever smoked in a confined space with a child present and if so do you think that is an ok way to act?