Another one bites the dust

Dizzy

True, but it was still in use the builders/developers wouldn't have been prepping it for demolition (or whatever they were doing to it).

Shame though as it was a lovely looking building but until the Jahan indian moved out last year after the whole site was all bought for housing.  The garden centre had to go too.

Such is this thing called 'progress' though......

Seems I'm talking to myself now but I don't mind.

It was a Locally Listed Building.....outline planning application (submitted March 2014 and approved May 2014) had it down for conversion into residential along with the other locally listed building that was part of it.

Works to the former Ship Inn itself were detailed as going to be  'minimised in order to retain the character and appearance of the building'

Obviously that intention was changed somewhere down the line but the various planning docs do make rather interesting reading....

Perhaps we should make a list of all these 'convenient' demolitions. Then request reports from the Police and Fire Service, put these details together with any relevant planning applications and permissions for demolition given by WBC, then post the b***** lot to the European Heritage Minister with a complaint that our cultural heritage/identity is being destroyed?   

So an extra 28 cars coming in and out of an almost blind junction on a daily basis.( that is if there are two cars per household).

surely this was brought up in the planning application?

not to bad if they are turning right coming out of the place but could be a disaster waiting to happen if they are turning left.

So an extra 28 cars coming in and out of an almost blind junction on a daily basis.( that is if there are two cars per household).

not to bad if they are turning right coming out of the place but could be a disaster waiting to happen if they are turning left.

I am sure there were more then 28 cars arriving and leaving the site when it was a pub, or maybe not and that is why it closed.

It is such a shame such buildings are being pulled down, it would have made a nice house. It is not as if the area needs more posh houses.

Why was it historic?

They were considering building an exit road to the crematorium road Sid but it was refused on the grounds that it was a dead end.

Perhaps we should make a list of all these 'convenient' demolitions. Then request reports from the Police and Fire Service, put these details together with any relevant planning applications and permissions for demolition given by WBC, then post the b***** lot to the European Heritage Minister with a complaint that our cultural heritage/identity is being destroyed?   

SHA  if there is a conspiracy here best not rely on police reports as they must be in on it lol

Hmm - just extended our house which required partial demolition/removal of the gable end which looked equally as bad if not worse than this so called collapse - have the Police engineers never heard of Acro props - did they consult a chartered civil engineer. Amateurs in charge of protecting our  heritage :(

I read the article and have I got this right...  The STRUCTURAL ENGINEER on site said the POLICE said the building should be demolished as a matter of public safety ?

Surely the police should have been taking advice from the structural engineer and not the other way round and one would have thought that the council (with it being Grade II listed) would have had to have some say in it too. 

Until I read this latest article I did think that perhaps it was a genuine accident and 'act of god' but certainly makes you wonder eh

No I wasn't implying that PJ I was merely saying that it was strange that the police are said to have been the ones to say 'knock it' rather than others saying it.  

I suppose though when you think about it they [the police] went to an incident where they found part of a building which was right on the edge of a busy main road collapsed with the rubble IN the road.

Their priority, and that of the other emergency services who were there, would have been to ensure the rest didn't fall into the road etc (dangerous) and that it was opened to traffic again asap.  The police probably wouldn't have even know it was a Grade II listed building....but the structural engineers and other workers on the site would have known.  Maybe they didn't say anything though......