Maritime Warrington - Small vessels that were often seen locally.

algy

Maritime Warrington - Small vessels that were often seen locally.

Mary P Cooper leaving Latchford Locks. (Credit to Tony Shaw).

Mary%20P%20cooper_zpsdxhrpwze.jpg

The 'Salford City' bulk sewerage vessel transporting sewage from the Manchester area out to sea, seen here leaving Latchford Locks, Richmonds gas appliance factory by the locks has long been gone. This boat was impolitely known as "the banana boat" or the "Bovril" boat and in fact she and her sister ship were two of the cleanest and smartest vessels using the canal. (Credit to Tony Shaw).

11780047_1153885581294358_51377743832781

Another shot of the Salford City this time unladen and approaching latchford Locks.(Credit to Tony Shaw).

Salford%20City._zps0iphhlmm.jpg

The 'Rinso' a small tanker boat owned by Joseph Crosfields and used for transporting oil for soap manufacture. (Credit to Tony Shaw).

Crosfields%20miniature%20tanker%20Rinso%

Sister ship to the Mary P Cooper, (perhaps it should be brother ship) the Eric Cooper. (Credit to Tony Shaw).

Eric%20Cooper_zpshjbsdnl3.jpg

The Mary P Cooper being towed into the old River Mersey Cutting to be beached somewhere behind Wilderspool Causeway after she had been raised due to her sinking after the collision with the MV Foamville.

ScreenShot002_zpsg6bgwfql.jpg

MSC Nymph passing Walton Lock.

MSC%20Nymph%20passing%20Mary%20Cooper._z

Msc Nymph by Coopers Sand Wharf, Lower Walton.

MSC%20Nymph%20by%20Walton%20Dock._zpslzk

• Upvote 1

Wow great set of photos Algy and I've not seen any of those before.  Two are right where I live :D

On the bottom two you can see the old accumulator tower in the background that used to power Walton and Stockton Heath's swing bridges too.  That's long gone though which is a shame as it looks a nice tower. 

It must have been nice back in the day to see so many different types of ships going down the canal.  They are all pretty much the same these days so get a bit boring.... apart from the multi-coloured  Dazzle Ferry of course.

There was a programme on tv recently about the making of the MSC ...it is available on BBC iplayer or catch up tv & i think it was called "Canals, the making of Britain". There are six episodes in the series covering other aspects of canals too but it is somewhat sketchy. It doesn't even mention the Sankey Canal & if you blink you will miss the Bridgewater.

Thanks Algy, those pictures are great.

On the subject of canals, does anyone know where 'Long Duck Stakes' is. I believe it's on the Sankey canal route but I don't know where exactly. Apparently it's the site of the sinking of the Sacharrisa - a cargo ship carrying sugar from Liverpool. 

all i have found is a reference to the sinking with a date of 1753 from the british history archives.

In 1753 the ship Sacharissa, which … had a cargo of sugar on board, having left Liverpool for Bank Quay eight days before, was wrecked on the Long Duck Stakes near Sankey …; and the ordinary protest, such as is now made on the loss of a sea-going vessel, had to be made on the Sacharissa'; Beamont, Hale and Orford, 229.

may help if anybody can find a map from around that era or slightly later.

That's the reference I saw Sid but I've not been able to find anything else about it.

The thing that struck me was the fact it took eight days to get to Long Duck Stakes - so I was wondering how long it would've taken to do the whole trip to Bank Quay? Was travel along the canals really that slow?

the speed of a horse drawn barge is around 2 - 3 mph.if they manage 8 hours travel without locks that would get you 24 miles in a day. with l;ocks probably about 10 miles a day. so eight days to get from liverpool to bank quay seems about right for a barge drawn by a single horse for the whole journey. using  a single horse meant that you did not travel at night.

for fifty tons of cargo that is not bad going for the times considering that by cart you could probably pull one ton and the journey time would not be much different due to the state of the roads.

Apart from the ref Evils has already posted above the only other thing I can find about it is this, taken from the book by William Beamont Esq titled "Annals of the Lords of Warrington and Bewsey : from 1587 to 1833, when Warrington became a parliamentary Borough"

It doesn't however mention the 'Long Duck Stakes', sorry

Sha%20Sacharissa%20Sankey.jpg

I know it can't be as capitals are used but I can't help constantly wondering if the 'Long Duck Stakes' was an stretch along the river which had some sort of wooden 'stakes' or bits of platform sticking out or the water........ which ducks sometimes sat on.....hence the name :oops: :oops:   My mind works in odd ways but you never know....

As it was a sloop the time taken could be because of the wind conditions at the time. no wind no movement. wind in wrong direction tacking to go upriver would be very difficult and could be why the vessel got into trouble, fifty ton of cargo plus the weight of the ship does not make for sharp turns.

I know it can't be as capitals are used but I can't help constantly wondering if the 'Long Duck Stakes' was an stretch along the river which had some sort of wooden 'stakes' or bits of platform sticking out or the water........ which ducks sometimes sat on.....hence the name :oops: :oops:   My mind works in odd ways but you never know....

Have you tried Iceland Dizzy, probably near the emu steaks & kangarro burgers.