Any more Warrington history Algy?

Sha

Algy is a walking local history book so I hope he has as I used to really enjoy the history stuff on here, especially the murders ha ha, but also all the old photos too.  It always used to be my favourite place to be :D

I've got some about the unveiling of the Bridge Foot Cenotaph and Memorial in 1925 but I can't find a way to upload it all. 

The original is quite hard to read unless you zoom in (which you can't do on here) so I sat and typed it all out but then realised I can't upload pdfs or word docs and if I save as a jpeg it opens too small to read on here :(

Maybe I could save it in smaller sections as jpegs or something. 

I'll try as it's fascinating to read and quite moving too.  It also tells why they chose the spot at Bridge Foot for it too which has convinced me that it should NEVER be moved from its current location despite what some say.

Maybe time to start a new topic :D

Ahh I never thought of doing in that way Evils.  I typed it all out in word before converting to pdf, just adding a bit I missed though, but it's huge and spans two pages so it would be one heck of a forum post if I copy and paste it.
Worth a try though :D

Downside is that doing it that way though will just allows every man and his dog looking in to copy and paste it too and then convert to pdf and used as their own.  I know it's not my info but when I've spend hours searching microfilms then typing it all out I'd be mega peeved if someone just did that.  It seems to be happening a lot lately with most things that are interesting on here where they just get copied and uploaded to facebook groups by others (non members usually) with NO back reference to where they actually came from.   I often see photo's and other info from this forum appearing elsewhere that way too and it tends to annoy me a little.

I even had a message yesterday alerting me to some of mine from here that have been uploaded too but I'm not a member of the group they have gone on so I can't say owt.   Bit rude though eh :evil::lol:

...but then again I guess it does mean that people who never join or post do look in a lot and clearly think we are an interesting bunch  :lol: :lol:

Sha, sorry I haven't been around for a while, a good while back I was tempted to join Facebook and fell for it , I really should come back more often, you gang are still the best  even the Mr knowalls on here are honest and don't stab you in the back, enough said!.

The Murderer Crippin and his Connection with Warrington.

Here is one I posted on here a few years ago some of the newbies won't have seen it though. It is perfectly true.

In 1910 Hawley Harvey Crippin killed his wife Cora with Hyoseine, dismembered her body and buried itunder the floorboards of 39 Hilltop Crescent, London. Then he tried to abscond to America with his girlfriend Ethel Le Neve. He was apprehended with the help of the newly invented radiotelegraph andreturned to Britain to face trial. What has this to do with glassblowing?, Hyoseine or Scopolamine in small amounts is used to subdue the various urges of “nymphomaniacs”.Crippin could not cope with his wife’s demands on his time and energy, added to which he had another girlfriend, and so he overdosed his wife. When he realised she was dead he panicked, chopped her up and with Ethel disguised as a young boy the pair took on the name of “Robinson & son” and fled to Antwerp. As they boarded a liner bound for America, suspicions were raised and the Captain made contact via the radio telegraph to the Police in England. By the time the liner was passing Ireland their true identity was known. The liner was slowed down as a second liner containing the Police passed them in the Atlantic. ThePolice boarded the vessel off thecoast of Canada and arrested Crippin and returned him to Britain to stand trial. The ship making the return trip and docked at Liverpool. Crippin was then brought by train to Warrington to await a train to London. As he stood on Bank Quay station he would have seen the Mersey Flint Glass Works which was just adjacent. Suddenly he made a dash for freedom across the railway lines into the works towards the glass furnaces – closely followed by the Police. Hiding in the furnace inlet flues he found there was one way in and one way out – with the Police at the entrance! He gave up and was returned to the station to board the train to London for trial and subsequent execution.

It is ironic that Crippin and Ethel should have taken the name of Robinson and that his final attempt to escape was at the Mersey Flint Glass Works, of which the proprietors were – Robinson and Son!

ScreenShot003%202_zpsxfhyzlsv.jpg

• Upvote 1

could you not put a watermark on the text in word?

Yes but as I would only be copying and pasting the text from the word document the watermark would not be relevant or show. 

Seems stupid that there isn't a way to upload pdf's or word docs to here :( 

Very many thanks Algy. So pleased that you are back!

I hope you don't let that Facebook tempt you away again.

The story of Crippin is brill. It really gave me a lift to read it - not because I'm into gory murders though!  It's just great to have something really interesting to read - it takes the mind off the mundane.

Warrington has some fantastic history. I think little gems like this should be displayed about the town.  A notice at Bank Quay station "Crippin was here!" with the story, would be really interesting for travellers passing through. It would certainly give them something to remember Warrington by - rather than the dingy station.

A leaflet containing a collection of these stories 'Algy's tales of Warrington past' would be great to read on the train. I certainly enjoy reading them on here!

Looking forward to more of your posts!   

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Dizzy,,

Many thanks this helps a lot, I am researching family history and have an ancestor who lived in Littlemores Row in 1871 and now I can locate the position.  If you can also tell me the where to find the original document that would be great?

Hi and sorry I meant to put a link to the full map in my post but I forgot too.

The have been made available by The National Library of Scotland and are free to view.  You can navigate around the full maps too and zoom right in,  they are great :D

Here's the link to the England and Wales section....

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/info1.html