Immigration?

observer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMMIGRATION AND HOUSING - "the issue that dare not speak it's name"; but was well covered by ITV tonight, where some interesting statistics came to light. :roll: But it gets worse: the number of houses required to accomodate immigrants alone, over the next 20 years is estimated at 200 PER DAY! :roll: As for the poor refugees: an Afghanistan couple were shown, who had fled the Taliban in 1998; OK fair enough. BUT, the Taliban are no longer in control in Afghanistan, due to the brave efforts of British soldiers fighting and dying out there. SO, now the coast is clear, this Afganistan family can return to there Country of origin - but will they? :confused:

Originally posted by observer:

As for the poor refugees: an Afghanistan couple were shown, who had fled the Taliban in 1998; OK fair enough. BUT, the Taliban are no longer in control in Afghanistan, due to the brave efforts of British soldiers fighting and dying out there. SO, now the coast is clear, this Afganistan family can return to there Country of origin - but will they? :confused:

Would you want to return to a country that is largely rubble, is still a battleground in places, has very few public and social services. :confused:

Obs

have a look at the way NI used to be!! we had Soldiers all over the plave but the IRA ect were still in control of the people.nightly talks with the locals were very effective and scared the people, we may be in Afghanistan but we are by far not in control of the situation thats why so many are getting killed...

I wouldnt want to return to such a place untill i knew my Family were safe no matter where they went or what they did..

Only then can you think of returning these familys back to their homeland..

Steve

So on that basis, the whole civilian population of Afghanistan should be transfered over here?! :roll: Tosh! If these characters had any back-bone they would stay and fight for their beliefs in their homeland. :o Or, as international law allows, flee to the NEXT nearest "safe" Country - so get out your Atlas. :o

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Goonerman:

Yeah, like the way I quake at the sight of the Polish men hogging the bus, errr, not! They are too hard-working and have been through far too much to be thinking about attacking the natives, they simply want to survive and get a better life.

The frightening thing about Poles (frightening to those who are inclined to be scared of 'foriengers')is they look just like us.Now, how scary is that????? :D:D

Originally posted by muttzy:

Originally posted by observer:

According to National Insurance figures: 2.5 million "workers" have entered the UK since 2002. :wink::wink::wink:

It would be interesting to see figures regarding the net contribution that people coming to live and work in the UK over the last few years have made. I'm not sure whether such figures are available given the complexity of the calculation, suffice it to say that for our tax and benefits system to survive, and given the numbers of people involved, overall they do need to be net contributors in the medium to long term. The worry would be if they were short stayers who, for example, avail themeselves of our "free" healthcare in a substantial way. I understand from a senior NHS person I know, that our maternity services are in fact under some degree of pressure in some parts of the country, due to the influx of, in particular, Eastern Europeans. I also understand some Education Authorities are also experiencing similar problems.

A sensible balance and an objective analysis on a regular basis is what is required, bearing in mind that the situation seems to vary widely across the country.

[ 24.07.2007, 16:44: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Again Mutzy dodges the point: 2.5 million workers - what about their dependents who require education, hospitals and housing etc? :confused: And what about the "illegals" that the Government can't even identify - no tax from them matey! :confused:

Originally posted by Peter:

Also their contribution is offset by their claiming and receiving child tax credits for infants still living in Poland.

Ahhh sup up :D:wink:

Migrant workers 'help UK economy'

Migrant workers have boosted the UK economy, with their influx not having a negative effect on employment or wage levels, the TUC has argued.

Foreign workers made a positive net economic contribution, it said, with their share of tax paid exceeding the cost of supplying public services.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6766003.stm

If that is the case then all well and good, however I'm not convinced whether we really know either way as the figures are so complex to calculate, and in so being we end up with rather subjective views. My fear, based on door to door canvassing and surveys I'm involved with, is that the more pessimistic opinion is in the ascendancy, and if there is a down turn in the economy such opinions will turn into resentment and all of it connotations in some areas of our country.

The world is much smaller now than it used to be.

how long ago was it all the "Micks" comming and taking our jobs.

I remember in the early eighties, germany having a boom and it was good sense to go "auf Wiedersein" or now the high earnings that can be obtained doing six months in Saudi on oil rigs or doing mobile phone networks.

we brits have spread ourselves accross this tiny planet so much, so what if there are pickings to be had here from migrant workers, let them come, earn money, send it home...thats what I would do in their possition.

we should be more concered about the ones that come over here and scrounge... we have enough indigenous scroungers thank you very much, we can send for replacements once we have got rid of those.