330,000 this year.

observer

So? Anyone from an affected area is entitled to travel to the next nearest safe country of safety, which in the case of Pakistan, would be Iran or India; rather than travel half way around the world to get where THEY want. Anyway, it seems that photo has done the trick, with Cameron and the press now doing a U-turn on the issue - pathetic. Makes me wonder why we didn't have a mass exodus from the UK, when the IRA were kicking off; perhaps we're made of sterner stuff !

Anyone is allowed to claim asylum anywhere not just in a neighbouring state.  

The photo has indeed pricked the conscience of a great many people which is a good thing in my opinion.  Such a pity babies have to be pictured washed up dead to do so.

Many millions of Britains have emigrated to live and work abroad.

Like they did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria?  

I was thinking the civilised world in terms of a UN multilateral operation. As you say though following Uncle Sam into the middle east has caused mayhem in the region...maybe he should be left safely at home in his rocking chair.

Something missed in all this is that Mr Cameron has agreed to take some registered refugees from the camps bordering Syria, not a slack handful of the marauders causing mayhem whilst moving westwards through Europe. Any helping hand to them will be seen as a precedent-setting green light for more to move through Libya and Turkey until they get where they think they want to be. Unfortunately, that means parasitic human traffickers rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of thousands of dollars whilst the migrants seeking an improvement in their standard of living continue to play inflatable roulette on the Mediterranean Sea. A firm hand is needed on the tiller to stop this tide of misery, but I fear we are too late. The Yvette Coopers and Emma Thompsons of this world should not be getting airtime to spout their vacuous, uninformed nonsense without a reasonable and balanced dissenting voice to counter the deluge of one-way, liberal received wisdom to which we are subjected.

• Upvote 4

The Yvette Coopers and Emma Thompsons of this world should not be getting airtime to spout their vacuous, uninformed nonsense without a reasonable and balanced dissenting voice to counter the deluge of one-way, liberal received wisdom to which we are subjected.

what a joke, surely you have heard of such things as The  Daily Mail,  in fact I would be rather surprised if you weren't a reader of it.  You know, Antsthenes was known as the absolute dog, spookily apt.

• Downvote 2

You have to get used to (and ignore) his name calling Ant; as he hasn't any solutions to offer on most things. btw. The father of child that drowned, has now returned to Syria (the place he was fleeing for his life) to bury them. He should imo be charged with infanticide through reckless endangerment. His case for asylum has already been refused by the Canadian Gov, which says a lot about his case.

• Upvote 3

You have to get used to (and ignore) his name calling Ant; as he hasn't any solutions to offer on most things. btw. The father of child that drowned, has now returned to Syria (the place he was fleeing for his life) to bury them. He should imo be charged with infanticide through reckless endangerment. His case for asylum has already been refused by the Canadian Gov, which says a lot about his case.

You like to pretend to have solutions but you don't.  

Errm, your allegations of bigotry, racism etc are your trade mark; without any knowledge of what actually constitutes racial catagories; just knee jerk ranting. Your solution to the migrant problem is basically to kick the door open even wider, and thankfully, it's your younger contempories who will inherit the consequences of such myopic ideas. Now perhaps you'll tell us what the father of the dead child was fleeing for, if he can go back home to Syria to bury his family?

you are and heve been bigoted for years on here or do you deny it?  I understand perfectly what constitutes racism which is why I call you a bigot.  Unlike you seem to believe you have the ability to do, I cannot read minds but I do know that the country the family fled from is torn apart by war.  I presume they were escaping this.

Errm, your allegations of bigotry, racism etc are your trade mark; without any knowledge of what actually constitutes racial catagories; just knee jerk ranting. Your solution to the migrant problem is basically to kick the door open even wider, and thankfully, it's your younger contempories who will inherit the consequences of such myopic ideas. Now perhaps you'll tell us what the father of the dead child was fleeing for, if he can go back home to Syria to bury his family?

That thought struck me too Obs & how quick has he got there with 3 corpses was it ? I know grief can cause some strange reactions ,but without a lot of help from someone or some organisation that would have been near enough impossible.

The father of child that drowned, has now returned to Syria (the place he was fleeing for his life) to bury them. He should imo be charged with infanticide through reckless endangerment. His case for asylum has already been refused by the Canadian Gov, which says a lot about his case.

Must admit I did find it odd at first that the father has returned to his home town in Syria to bury his wife and two young sons.  But actually the more I read and think about it the more I can understand why he has now.

They had been in Turkey for 3 years and were trying to get to Greece.  Their ultimate plan was to get to Canada to family who were hoping to help them with asylum.

He said he had no intention now of trying to get to Europe alone after loosing his family.  Outside the mortuary he is also reported as saying  " I just want to see my children for the last time and stay forever with them"

Maybe going back to his home town in Syria through choice and taking his family with him to bury there is the only he can sure he can still be near them, well their graves anyway, and to 'see' them every day :( 

Had they been buried in Turkey or another country then he may well have found himself sent back to hi home country and unable to ever visit their graves, who knows :(  

Tragic and heartbreaking and there will be many many more like this until something is done about it 

As Antisthenis quite rightly says there are plenty more 'parasitic human traffickers' promising a way through and just waiting for the next desperate lot who want to take their chances :(   Four have been arrested with regards to this case....   not sure how on earth it can be stopped though.

If life is so unsafe for him in Syria, that he endangered his family to flee; it's a fairly simple question to ask, what is he now doing back in Syria, if it's so unsafe? The reality is, that the majority of these people are economic migrants, who can't believe just how gullible and naïve we are, to allow this to go on.

If life is so unsafe for him in Syria, that he endangered his family to flee; it's a fairly simple question to ask, what is he now doing back in Syria, if it's so unsafe? The reality is, that the majority of these people are economic migrants, who can't believe just how gullible and naïve we are, to allow this to go on.

utter bunkem and you know it.  It would however suit your narrow minded view of all forriners to see them as liars cheats and chancers.   These refugees and asylum seekers are fleeing war torn countries and risking their lives to do so.  The views of the people in power are changing and a realisation has hit them that something more needs to be done to help. It is right and proper to help the less fortunate, especially wealthy nations.  The father of the dead toddler , who's stark image  has come to symbolise the desperation of the refugees and galvanised support from public and political leaders alike, returned home to bury his family in their home town Kobane.  He has nothing to lose anymore.  Have you heard of Kobane?  A little info for you it has a massacre named after it.  It is a Kurdish town which ISIL have been attacking .  But you are right, a perfect environment in which to bring up a family so why flee?

and for your information,  Mr. Abdullah Kurdi and his family were never rejected for asylum status by Canada.  That was his brother.

The Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada confirmed Thursday it never received an application for Abdullah.

"An application for Mr. Mohammad Kurdi and his family was received by the department but was returned as it was incomplete as it did not meet regulatory requirements for proof of refugee status recognition," the agency announced. "There was no record of an application received for Mr. Abdullah Kurdi and his family. Canada did not offer citizenship to Mr. Abdullah Kurdi."

I don't know obs and only he can ever answer that.  All I know is that if I had done what I thought was the right thing for my family like he did which resulted in them drowning, a horrible death I'd imagine, then I just wouldn't care what happened to me from that point on, in fact I'd just want to die and if that meant returning to my war torn country with the chance of a bullet through my head, being blown up or whatever.... then I'd be glad  :(

• Upvote 1

Well they're on TV News every night now, and all there to be viewed.  All appear to me to be well dressed (under the circumstances), seem to have and be using mobile phones, and not short of cash.  They are moving through one place of safety (Turkey) to the next (Greece), then up through Macedonia, Serbia and Hungary; when (in law) the first place of safety is where they should apply for asylum. Sadly, the bleeding hearts in Europe, led by Merkel have encouraged this exodus, contrary to EU policy and international law, and are thus not only responsible for what has happened to date, but by allowing those currently in Europe to complete their journey, they are encouraging the rest to follow suit, all 4million in Turkey alone. Crazy doesn't even come near to describing it. It's noticeable also, the high number of males of military age; apparently not prepared to fight for the kind of countries they want, but bent on "looking after Jack", perhaps good recruits for the Tory Party when they arrive !