Historic villages could be wiped off the borough map!!

Gary

Sid, it's about the ratio of Councillors to electors. Some areas of the Town have had increasing housing development in recent years, hence increase in population level, distorting the ratio.  You could argue, that the ratio could be increased, in order to reduce the number of politicians overall, and save some money.

Do you ever wonder if there is any point at all in having borough councillors?

It seems to me that it's actually just a few council officers who make all the decisions and a handful of councillors of mixed political persuasion merely give them the nod.

If the public could just vote on who was to be employed for these officers posts we could dispense with councillors altogether.

Do you ever wonder if there is any point at all in having borough councillors?

It seems to me that it's actually just a few council officers who make all the decisions and a handful of councillors of mixed political persuasion merely give them the nod.

If the public could just vote on who was to be employed for these officers posts we could dispense with councillors altogether.

Ah, but because of a system called democracy, those officers would then become elected politicians....and so the circle would continue.  With regards to "give them the nod".......didn't happen with the Collegiate loan........ And to your first point, I sense there are Borough Councillors who think that from time to time.

I still can't quite get my head round these proposed changes and how they would work or affect us all.

If it does go ahead then for example...will the residents in Walton where one bit will transfer to Stockton Heath Parish and the other part to Appleton Parish then have a new address of 'Stockton Heath' or 'Appleton' or will they still keep Walton?

Presumably Walton Parish Council would no longer exist either.  They are good, are non political, and do seem to actually get things done.  As they know the Walton Area so well and have done for many years would they be split depending on which ward they cover and join the two other Parish Councils so their knowledge goes with them?

little panic in my head.....the thought of me perhaps coming under Stockton Heath Parish Council's wing fills me with dread, I may have to move !!

Paul K, you are the Borough Council for Walton, Stretton and Halton so will your position go too?  You are the only Borough Councillor out of the ones I've ever had dealings with that has EVER done something asked of them or resolved any issues that I have brought to attention.  I know that if I ever contact you you will ALWAYS act immediately and try to resolve things.  So far you have a 100% success rate on my list and I thank you for that :D
Some others in the past haven't even bothered to reply to me and some just say 'sorry theres nothing that can be done' and fobbed me off.
I'm not being a creep or groveling to you as if you were bad I'd tell you straight and say it on here too.  I still don't like the Conservative party though and nothing you can do or say will every change my view on them  :lol: 

Right I'm off to have another look at the proposals and the interactive map of changes to see if I can make sense of them :blink: 

I still can't quite get my head round these proposed changes and how they would work or affect us all.

If it does go ahead then for example...will the residents in Walton where one bit will transfer to Stockton Heath Parish and the other part to Appleton Parish then have a new address of 'Stockton Heath' or 'Appleton' or will they still keep Walton?

Presumably Walton Parish Council would no longer exist either.  They are good, are non political, and do seem to actually get things done.  As they know the Walton Area so well and have done for many years would they be split depending on which ward they cover and join the two other Parish Councils so their knowledge goes with them?

little panic in my head.....the thought of me perhaps coming under Stockton Heath Parish Council's wing fills me with dread, I may have to move !!

Paul K, you are the Borough Council for Walton, Stretton and Halton so will your position go too?  You are the only Borough Councillor out of the ones I've ever had dealings with that has EVER done something asked of them or resolved any issues that I have brought to attention.  I know that if I ever contact you you will ALWAYS act immediately and try to resolve things.  So far you have a 100% success rate on my list and I thank you for that :D

Some others in the past haven't even bothered to reply to me and some just say 'sorry theres nothing that can be done' and fobbed me off.

I'm not being a creep or groveling to you as if you were bad I'd tell you straight and say it on here too.  I still don't like the Conservative party though and nothing you can do or say will every change my view on them  :lol: 

Right I'm off to have another look at the proposals and the interactive map of changes to see if I can make sense of them :blink:

Just to clarify what is a confusing matter. All Parish Councils will remain as will their current boundaries as the Boundary Commission are only looking at Borough Wards. What will happen if the Draft Recommendations go through is that in the case of Hatton, Stretton & Walton Parish Councils and their residents, rather than being in their own distinct Borough Ward, as they are at the moment, Hatton, Stretton and a section of Walton Parish Councils and their residents will be in the Appleton Borough Ward......along with Appleton Parish Council, and a section of Walton Parish and its residents will be in the Stockton Heath Borough Ward....along with Stockton Heath Parish Council. Another example would be Lymm, there the Draft Recommendation is to split the existing Lymm Borough Ward and have two new Borough Wards - Lymm South and Lymm North & Thelwall, so Lymm Parish Council would be in two Borough Council Wards rather than the Lymm Borough Ward it is in at the moment.

You are correct Dizzy, if the Hatton, Stretton & Walton Ward ceases to be, then yes, as at May 2016, so will my position as a Borough Councillor..... Thank you for your kind words.

PS  the following is my submission that I sent to the Commission:

For the attention of Mr Richard Buck, Review Manager, LGBCE.

29 August 2015

Dear Mr Buck

Re. Warrington Boundary Review – Draft Recommendations

I refer to the Draft Recommendations published on 25 August 2015, and would like to comment on the recommendation to erase the Hatton, Stretton & Walton Ward from the Borough.

It is accepted that Hatton, Stretton & Walton, whilst geographically large, does have a small electorate. Nevertheless, as the following figures will show, the Ward, does currently, and is projected in 2020 to come within the 10% variance to average that the LGBCE sets as an important criteria when deciding on Ward patterns.

As at the date of this letter, the electorate for the Ward is 2,539 (which is fractionally greater than the 2014 figure of 2526 submitted by Warrington Borough Council). The current figure is therefore 9.7% less than the average of 2,812 and within the 10% criteria. Projecting forward to 2020, the Warrington Borough Council July 2015 Strategic Housing Land Available Assessment (SHLAA) for the Ward, lists 149 sites that are deliverable. It would therefore be entirely reasonable to assume that those 149 sites would increase the electorate for the Ward by 200, resulting in a 2020 electorate of 2,739. That would result in a variance to the 2020 average of 2,912, of  -5.9%, and well within the 10% criteria. On that basis, there is no reason for the existing Hatton, Stretton & Walton Ward to be subject to any change at all.

With regards to equality of votes, might I respectfully suggest that what residents most want is quality of representation, accountability and recognition of the area in which they live. As a distinct Borough Ward, as it is now, that is exactly what the residents of Hatton, Stretton & Walton Ward receive. In my opinion, that will not be the case, when and if, the Ward is broken up and the names of the three Parish Communities are erased from the Borough Wards. In the LGBCE Guidance Literature, it is stated that; “A good pattern of Wards should: reflect community interests and identities and include evidence of community links”. There is also inference within the guidance, that having a greater number of Councillors in a Ward dilutes accountability, I agree with that. It therefore follows that a single Member Ward, such as Hatton, Stretton & Walton gives perfect accountability.

Specifically looking at the proposal for Walton, it is to divide it between both Appleton and Stockton Heath. That will be confusing for both its residents and Parish Council, leading, I would suggest, to ineffective representation and accountability at a Borough level. With regards to the use of the description of Lower Walton by the LGBCE, locally the area is known by residents as Walton, with Lower Walton being north of the Manchester Ship Canal and part of the Latchford West Ward.

In light of the above, I would ask that the Draft Recommendation is revised, and that the Hatton, Stretton and Walton Ward is reinstated exactly to how it is now. From my analysis of the numbers, I do not believe that its reinstatement will change the variance to average figure to one that exceeds the 10% criteria, for the Wards of Appleton and Stockton Heath.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my representation. I would be happy to drive you around the Ward and to discuss my representation with you, should you wish.

Yours sincerely

Paul Kennedy

Warrington Borough Councillor for the Hatton, Stretton & Walton Ward

• Upvote 1

Paul - I think you need to reactivate your photo - so people can see who is campaigning to save their villages from disappearing from the boundary map :wink:

Good point Gary, and a bit of a puzzle, my picture is there in the My Profile, but it doesn't appear when I post......help. Mind you when they see my photo...they might not support the campaign   :P

Good point Gary, and a bit of a puzzle, my picture is there in the My Profile, but it doesn't appear when I post......help. Mind you when they see my photo...they might not support the campaign   :P

Dizzy can you help Paul with his profile pic - I recall you sorted it for a few when the forum changed?

Done :D  Your photo was there Paul but for some reason the new forum didn't like the ' in your surname (ie Kennedy's).  I saved your pic and reloaded it without the ' and it's fine now as you can see.
Please note as it's now after 11pm I expect a payment of a bag of twigletts from you and Gary :lol:

Right can I get back to reading the above and trying to understand the changes now please :D

Done :D  Your photo was there Paul but for some reason the new forum didn't like the ' in your surname (ie Kennedy's).  I saved your pic and reloaded it without the ' and it's fine now as you can see.

Please note as it's now after 11pm I expect a payment of a bag of twigletts from you and Gary :lol:

Right can I get back to reading the above and trying to understand the changes now please :D

Thanks Dizzy

After reading the population figures you've given Paul it does seem a bit pointless to dispense with the Hatton / Stretton / Walton ward, couldn't they just enlarge the ward a little?  I'm not sure of the exact boundaries but would suspect that some areas on the edge wouldn't object to being absorbed into that ward.  

( just out of interest - where exactly are the proposed 149 development sites?).

Whatever, if your present ward does get absorbed by Appleton then your voters will be in 'Appleton'. I don't think it's you who will ultimately lose your seat at the Town Hall.  

Gary, you need to introduce Paul to your photographer :wink:  On a serious note, if we increase the amount of Councillors in the Borough a bigger problem than increased costs is that we can't find more than a few decent ones now so will just top up with poor and ineffective hand raisers.