Annoying noise last night

Dizzy

Did anyone else hear a really loud and annoying humming noise last night that went on for ages and if so any idea what it was or where it was coming from ? 

I heard it just after 1am (ish) and had to close the bedroom windows in the end as trying to go to sleep with my fingers in my ears so I couldn't hear it was uncomfortable.

I did not hear anything myself but then I do live at Nantwich. Now I will try to be serious.

Many years ago some residents in Gorsey Lane had a similar problem.

The reason that was put forward was that the noise was created by traffic on th M6 and the unique acoustic properties in Gorsy Lane enabled the residents to hear the noise under certain conditions.

How very strange Terry,  I wonder if that's what was happening here then as I have heard similar noise around the same time before but not as loud as last night.

Saying that it seems from facebook that a lot of other people heard it too, mainly Warrington South area I think) so not down to acoustics on my road.

You always get one smart arse  :lol:

Yes I know what acoustics are but I meant it clearly wasn't a sound that was audible purely because of the direction and layout of buildings on my road as others heard it too ad their layout and direction would be different to mine but we all seem to have heard the same sort of noise.

To me it seemed to be coming from the other side of the ship canal and towards Warrington town centre but hard to tell really. 

2am this morning I opened the bedroom window and the noise was there again.  Just as loud as the night before and I can only describe it as being a bit like hearing a large train in the distance but one that goes on and on and on.
It also had constant peaks of louder noise at close intervals too.  

6.45am .... I could still hear it but not quite as loud.

i remember a good few years ago being convinced that an engineering company near us was working nights & it was more evident when i lay down to sleep so i thought  it must have been travelling through the brickwork of the house as vibrations. Shortly afterwards i was diagnosed with high blood pressure & once that was brought under control the night shift mysteriously ceased.