Recycling - Blue Bin

Coffee

The waste service is decent Baz, one of the towns better services.  Surely you can't possibly expect the Council to be responsible for collecting and disposing of every single bit of waste that every single person in the Borough generates at no extra charge, imagine the abuse and cost?  Perhaps each street could have a council employee whose sole task is to separate and wash and put into the correct bin, all of the residents recyclable waste?  Or at least those residents too lazy or dim to do it for themselves.   That would be ridiculous.  The answer is simple.  Follow the rules and it will be taken away, abuse the rules and get caught then expect it not to be taken away.  There are, as previously mentioned, provisions made for extraordinary waste items and only laziness or bloody mindedness stands in the way.

If you are elderly or suffer from illness there is an assisted collection available to you.  

The Council will pick up your bulky waste (3 items) for £20 and will pick up white goods for free.  

There are 3 Council tips at Gateworth, Woolston and Stockton Heath so nobody is a million miles from one.  

There are also 29 recycling banks dotted around the town and about a dozen battery recycling banks too.  

Not bad I say.

p.s.  If you feel that the item you are getting rid of may be of use to someone there is always freegle.org or freecycle.org and if you think someone may buy it go to ebay.com :wink:

• Upvote 1

It's not that hard to work this out, it's essentially just day to day waste from the kitchen in the main. I clean and recycle most of mine but stuff like wrappers despite being made out of plastic is too hard to clean and probably isn't worth recycling anyway so I just black bin it. The only real grey area at the Green household if you pardon the pun is the green bin. I say that it's fine to put the potato peelings and banana skins given it's all going to get composted but my wife is adamant that the council will have me deported. Perhaps someone could clarify this or at least make a good joke out of it.   :mrgreen:

Bill :)

Ah I see you want YOUR waste removing either by others or at others expense.  Instead of bringing it to me take it to the tip.  Why would you need to wash your plastic curtain?  Take it to the tip in your Honda.  As for having a dishwasher, so do I, (full sized)   but I still use the washing up bowl occasionally and do the tins and bottles then.  Also if you have lots of waste I can recommend BT skips for service, reliability, price  and friendliness.

Its not rocket science is it?  

I pay my rates so no one is removing my waste at others expense.

Congratulations on washing up in a bowl every day, but I don't!

The point is it is supposed to be a recycling scheme and while I understand that contaminated paper and plastic can not be recycled tins and glass gets melted so any food waste would be burnt away at high temperatures, so what is the problem if they are not completely clean, or am I wrong? Also if you can mechanically recycle paper, why can't you recycle plastic bags?

As for plastic, is an ice cream box rigid plastic and why can't rigid plastic be recycled

• Upvote 1

I can explain it for you but I cannot understand it for you.

You pay your Council Tax (rates went out years ago) and that tax covers a range of services.  I have detailed the options available to you regarding the removal of waste if you cannot manage a trip to the tip.  It takes a cup or two of water to clean your tins etc.   Water costs £1.64 per cubic metre, which is 1000 litres or 220 gallons. That means if you use a whole gallon to wash your tins it equates to .0745 of a penny.  I am sorry if this exorbitant amount of money is beyond your means.

You are wanting above and beyond what you pay for for free.  

I can explain it for you but I cannot understand it for you.

You pay your Council Tax (rates went out years ago) and that tax covers a range of services.  I have detailed the options available to you regarding the removal of waste if you cannot manage a trip to the tip.  It takes a cup or two of water to clean your tins etc.   Water costs £1.64 per cubic metre, which is 1000 litres or 220 gallons. That means if you use a whole gallon to wash your tins it equates to .0745 of a penny.  I am sorry if this exorbitant amount of money is beyond your means.

You are wanting above and beyond what you pay for for free.  

Carry on doing your maths PJ there are more costs involved

Plus your using resources and polluting water which defeats the whole point of recycling

You know PJ the water does not appear in the tap by magic

There is a thing called the black bin so I really do not need to go to the tip in my Honda or hire skips from BT

I have already explained how to wash them for free without using any excess water  but it seems that you don't ever wash dishes, or anything else for that matter, in the sink.  You could use the water in the bowl after washing your hands or face, collect rainwater or pee in them lol.  If you can't be bothered disposing of waste properly then thats your choice and nothing anyone can do about that ( well except the Council).  I just pointed out that it isn't really as difficult as you seem to try to make it.

• Upvote 1

I have already explained how to wash them for free without using any excess water  but it seems that you don't ever wash dishes, or anything else for that matter, in the sink.  You could use the water in the bowl after washing your hands or face, collect rainwater or pee in them lol.  If you can't be bothered disposing of waste properly then thats your choice and nothing anyone can do about that ( well except the Council).  I just pointed out that it isn't really as difficult as you seem to try to make it.

I am looking at it from recycling point of view and your obsessing with washing old tins.

Do you really keep all your old tins and jars until you can collect some water?

no, I wash them in the used dishwater as I said and as you already acknowledged.  You could even use some bath or shower water, already used and paid for and going down the plughole. Also have you considered putting the jars and tins in the dishwasher with your dishes?  There are many ways to clean the recyclable waste without it costing you or the planet.   Call me a cynic if you wish but I feel your problems are caused because you won't do it rather than can't do it.  

no, I wash them in the used dishwater as I said and as you already acknowledged.  You could even use some bath or shower water, already used and paid for and going down the plughole.  Call me a cynic if you wish but I feel your problems are caused because you won't do it rather than can't do it.  

How would I collect my shower water, (don't have a bath)?

I don't have a problem, I just find it confusing that the council don't recycle some plastics like bags and hard plastics. I also brought up the cons of washing tins and glass which you have not addressed apart for the practicalities of doing so.

I leave you pondering how else to wash old tins and insist  I am just a awkward cow, meanwhile i am going out.

Have a good night PJ

Coffee I just don't get what the problem is and like PJ has said swilling the odd tin or food tray etc under a tap after you have emptied the contents takes a few seconds.  Must admit the idea of pee'ing on them instead to save water did make me chuckle  :D

As for carrier bags just re-use them or stick them in the carrier bag recycle boxes next time you go to the supermarket if you are that into recycling. 
We tend to use use most of ours for rubbish that goes in the black bin to stop it smelling.  Cheaper than buying bin sacks :wink:

• Upvote 1

I leave you pondering how else to wash old tins ......

Rain water... get a water butt or just leave a bucket outside.  Or you could drive around until you find somewhere with an outside tap.  There's one on the outside of St Thomas' Church if it helps and a car park right next to it (free for 1 hour but don't forget to get your free ticket or you'll get another parking ticket for your collection ..... :lol:

PS Coffee... without wanting to sound rude, do you always make life so complicated for yourself or do you just like going against the norm and logical ? :lol::wink:

Coffee, again excuses not to do something so simple.  So there is nothing in your house that you can use to cover the plughole in the shower, you never wash anything in a washing up bowl or sink, you never wash your hands or face in a basin, there is no room in your dishwasher for a few tins.

Enjoy your night out and if you are passing the tip take your rubbish with you  :wink:

why not put a hole through all of your old tins of dog food and put string through them and wear them round your neck when you have a shower .... that way they get cleaned at the same time as you do.....what? That's a crazy idea?.... oh sorry, I was just joining in with everybody else....:)

I have no problem cleaning my recyclable waste Baz, I have had to say it several times already as some folk seem to have difficulty understanding. I use the dishwater that I used to wash the dishes in to swill out the jars, tins and bottles. Now I typed that as slowly as I could to give you a chance to understand me.

:lol: :lol: Baz the vision of us all wearing tins round our necks as we shower really made me laugh.  Hey it might be relaxing too... a bit like a wind chime and a calming water feature all rolled into one lol

Anyway must go and wash my dishes in lots of fresh hot soapy water while leaving cold water the tap on the half sink to swill all the bubbles off with (we don't have a dish washer just me) and no worried as we don;t have a water meter... did I already mention that ha ha

Think this is getting a bit silly. My understanding of the bins is that they're for household waste i.e. kitchen junk rather than being some kind of universal recycling portal. An ice-cream container is plastic and so is a garden chair but I wouldn't try and put a chair in the recycling. As for cleaning the stuff, that's just basic hygiene and common courtesy given someone may have to handle the stuff further down the line. 

Bill :)

Dizzy point is It is Ok if the jar for example contained pickles then it is easy to clean but if it contained mayonnaise that is a lot harder to wash. Washing old tins defeats the point of recycling as it uses other resources, water, electricity, gas, then the dirty water becomes a pollutant and needs to be cleaned .

I am not about to start plugging my shower in order to wash some jars, that be making life difficult for myself, probably flood the house too

It is not really possible to debate things on this forum is it?

A well off to find a dog now for that dog food, Google come here, although need a dog sitter for when I am away, maybe I should use Lycos, Lycos where are you.

Coffee yes it is seeming a little difficult to to debate/discuss things on this forum tonight isn't it :lol:

I have never had a problem swilling an empty mayonnaise jar out by the way.  Just put some water in it, put the lid back on, and shake for a few seconds then pour the water out or I tend to just put it under the hot tap for a few seconds if I've got it on anyway..... WHY AM I EVEN ANSWERING THAT :lol:

What I reaslly still don't get it how you can start a topic coplaining that your old shower curtain was taken out of your blue bin so is not recycled and neither are your carrier bags and yet you have come up with every excuse possible about why you wont or can't simply swill out your tins or jars so they can be recycled.  It's not like they have to be spotlessly clean.

......... or just wipe them out best you can with one of your scrumpled up carrier bags :P  

Dizzy, I never started this topic complaining about anything.

The recycling scheme is supposed to be an environmental one that prevents landfill and recycles resources like plastic, glass and so on so a tried to question why things like plastic bags and my shower curtain  is not suitable for recycling.

It is PJ who went off on a tangent about collecting water to wash the tins and jars, so I tried to point out the environmental cost of cleaning the old food jars and question the point of recycling them

I have never had a problem swilling an empty mayonnaise jar out by the way.  Just put some water in it, put the lid back on, and shake for a few seconds then pour the water out or I tend to just put it under the hot tap for a few seconds if I've got it on anyway..... WHY AM I EVE

But like PJ your just focused on how to wash out your old jars.

Are you and PJ related in some way? :)

:lol: I only mentioned how to wash out a mayonnaise jar cos you said it was a lot harder to do that a pickle jar :lol:

By the way it was Baz who first mentioned things like food trays and plastic milk bottles smelling in the blue bin and me who said you are supposed to wash them first not PJ and no I'm not related to him but I'd be more than happy for him to move in here if he washes dishes as my two never do :D

So back to carrier bags then, do they affect landfill as much these days with so many being degradable ? 

Call me sad but I got some of mine out last night and read what they say on them.  Some said 'photodegradabe' some said 'biodegradable' and both had a recycled sign on them.  Not sure if that meant they had been made from other recycled stuff or that they could be recycled though.   Others said nothing at all on them and were a lot thicker and very colourful so I do wonder how they could all be sorted mechanically if we were allowed to put them in our blue bins.

• Upvote 1

.....and round here we have been given our own communal fresh water washing point.  It's been running constantly for a few days so far but I've not actually seen anyone use it yet when I've walked past with the dog.  Ideal location though as the angle of the road means the excess water runs round the corner against the kerb and flows down straight into a nearby road grid.

IMG_8462.jpg

:lol: I only mentioned how to wash out a mayonnaise jar cos you said it was a lot harder to do that a pickle jar :lol:

By the way it was Baz who first mentioned things like food trays and plastic milk bottles smelling in the blue bin and me who said you are supposed to wash them first not PJ and no I'm not related to him but I'd be more than happy for him to move in here if he washes dishes as my two never do :D

So back to carrier bags then, do they affect landfill as much these days with so many being degradable ? 

Call me sad but I got some of mine out last night and read what they say on them.  Some said 'photodegradabe' some said 'biodegradable' and both had a recycled sign on them.  Not sure if that meant they had been made from other recycled stuff or that they could be recycled though.   Others said nothing at all on them and were a lot thicker and very colourful so I do wonder how they could all be sorted mechanically if we were allowed to put them in our blue bins.

Thanks Mum lol