Lib-dems Councillors at last admit defeat about the litt

Geoffrey Settle

Originally posted by observer:

If "litter" is such a problem, instead of the un-paid antics of politicians; why not some schemes of enforcement EG; Litter Wardens with the power to impose on the spot fines (might make some money then); and street cleaners, who actually use a brush and shovel, rather than picking litter. :wink:

Well looks like councills across the UK are following your advice oh wise one and using cameras. Another comment you made on another thread about if the litter is cleared up then the propensity to chuck it about reduces.

That at the moment is certainly what I belive is happening.

Welsby Close residents along with the probation service filled 24 bin bags of rubbish.

Sutton Trust Residents picked up a large number as well.

Individuals do their local grot spots:

. Bill does Cinnamon Lane North,

. the ex-post master does the fearnhead cross junction;

.. GB does bits near him of Parkfields, however the local yobs keep wrecking his gate and neighbours fences so preventing that is now taking priority.

Trouble is that people nowadays just drop stuff because they pay their tax and think that the rest of us should pick their trash up. What happened to mums and dads telling their kids to put the stuff in their pocket and take it home?

Pity we can't dump then in the bin instead then we wouldn't have such a problem. :wink:

[ 14.04.2008, 11:55: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this is because they belive it is the answer to the problem, or infact whether they will do it agian before May the first.

Stockton Heath PC LD members and 1 independent, will be seen sometime soon, probably on Saturday 26th of April, picking litter from London rd in fullview of the voters. Some of them may even go to the extent of asking people in the bus stop to pick up their feet while the get at the cigarette butts.

The lengths some people will go to, to get noticed. :roll:

Was it just me or did ST Heath look quite tidy anyway on Friday night - apart that is for the two spiked bagles down the alleyway to the car park at the side of Egos. :D

We left full and had lovely garlic starters covered in cheese so we would have been up for a cheesy smile if anyone had a camera ready :wink:

Does this profound topic impact on global warming?!
No it doesn't Obs.., :(

Is there a thread that does? :confused:

I'll tell you something that does, I have heard that because Virgin trains want to increase the number of coaches to carry more passengers so that they don't have to stand between London and Warrington, (increased numbers being a success of the service and the saver fares), the Government have refused to play ball until 2015. No bigger trains for 7 yrs.

The govt have told Virgin to drop saver fares to reduce numbers! :onfire:

I suppose if we all stayed at home then it could be a win. win

[ 15.04.2008, 16:31: Message edited by: Stephen Taylor ]

Steve,

Here's a link to Warrington Rail Users site where you can voice and discuss your concerns Rail User Warrington

This thread does seem to have come off the track from litter but maybe by following the litter trail from the Town Hall grounds yuo'd get back on line.

[ 15.04.2008, 18:17: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

• 9 months later...

Not quite sure what 'on message' you are referring to Obs?

However we've just had a 'Look of the Borough' throughout Poulton North which has gone well to a degree. Unfortunatley one week later and the litter is back and some items have been omitted that have been reported time after time, so I'll be following these up again. :wink:

I think that Cllr Colin Froggatt (Labour) is following up those that were missed in Poulton South.

If they do Obs then Geoff is also providing yet another worthwhile 'service' in his area by giving the local kids something to do :P

I think a good way of getting kids to put their litter in bins would be to have basketball hoops above special bins.

Slam Dunk yer litter kids... I bet you can't ... :P:wink:

This thread has been running for ages, mainly concentrating on who picks up litter. Shouldn't we be concentrating on stopping people dropping it in the first place.

I don't care if we fine 'em, educate them, transport them or beat them over the head with a cosh. I do fear, however, that the only way to make it work would be the latter!

Pete it's often not what you say but the way you say it :cry:

Egbert is right the problem just goes on and on, initiative after initiative. It must be about targetting and persuading people to take their mess home with them or place it in the bins provided. Parents and guardians must set a good example to their youngsters and their piers. Afterall our parents did, didn't they?

Why don't people do this??????

Is it because we now live more than ever in a selfish society.

What ever happened to Sir Richard Branson the Litter Tsar and how successful was he in this role.