Travellers on Victoria Park (and elsewhere again)

Dizzy

Thankfully they left at lunchtime today. The 'friends of the park' group and residents cleaned up all the mess they left behind and the planned fun day and BBQ still went ahead. 

Hows that for community spirit and determination  :D   

Hats off to Clr Tony Higgins who actually went there yesterday morning politely asking them to move on.  Brave man.... but not surprisingly all he got in return was a load of abuse and the joy of watching one of them urinate in public.

Just been told some have set up camp on Harpers Road, Padgate in the car park of the Bayleaf Indian this afternoon (Monday).  8 vans again or there abouts.

Probably the same lot mentioned above as they were on Silver Lane late yesterday afternoon after being moved from St Elphins.  For travellers they don't travel very far do they !! 

Surely the council/police should be given powers to remove them from the local authority area not just from the spot they have parked up on.  They way it is they seem free to just move a few miles up the road leading to the police and council having to go through the same procedures day after day until they finally DO go and then more cleanups of the crap they leave behing too !  Ridiculous !!

As I understand it Diz the police won't act unless requested to do so by the owner of the land they're occupying: I think what speeded things up at Ballater and St Elphins is that criminal damage was caused to gain entry.

Don't know who owns the old Bayleaf but this could slow things down and, like you suggest, they could be playing cat and mouse around Warrington for months.

I thought it might take a bit longer to move them from Ballater as the council don't own the fields there.

Where is Battaler Fugs?  Never heard of it before.

Yes it may take longer to move them from the old Bayleaf Indian (or Smithy's as I always call it) with is being closed down and sort of 'vacant'.... but then again if the comments on facebook are right about them causing a bit of trouble in the local shops and the likes maybe the police can do something.  Might all be hearsay though and people may just be saying they are doing things just to try and get rid quicker.

Got to feel a bit sorry for these traveller types and their kids though as it must be awful to know you are not at all welcome wherever you go...

Got to feel a bit sorry for these traveller types and their kids though as it must be awful to know you are not at all welcome wherever you go...

I can understand that it must be awful. But (theres always a but) it is the lifestyle they have chosen to lead along with the subsequent consequences of that lifestyle.

If i suddenly decided that my lifestyle would include riding the harley round the streets at full throttle at two in the morning then i would not only be unpopular but definitely not welcome at all. the consequences of this would probably be a fine, confiscation of the motorbike, a jail sentence even or possibly a good hidung from some fed up resident in the wee small hours with a baseball bat but that would be my decision. (by the way the only time i have ever ridden the bike at full throttle at that time in the morning in our area was when i was responding to an emergency call from my mother and the car was in for a service)

these people seem to lead a sod everybody we do what we want attitude to any area they wish to inhabit for a time, safe in the knowledge that the law as such does not apply and those that do they tend to ignore. for instance how do they get car insurance without a permanent address? answer they probably don't. are they taken off the road? no. would you be taken off the road and gfiven a hefty fine?certainly.

oh well rant over for now but wonder what the bayleaf canaries are going to do about their home matches in the near futures. (see section e wncba website) :roll:

I posted about the Bayleaf ones 2 days ago a few posts up Geoff and yes they are still there.  I know it's private land so a bit harder to get rid of them but surely the police should be allowed some clout to just move then especially as they seem to be causing some trouble in the area from what others have posted elsewhere. 

I think the Silver Lane ones have finally gone this afternoon though after overstaying their court order leaving date.

perhaps they could be issued with exclusion orders instead preventing them from setting up camp anywhere within the warrington boundaries. been served on some people in warrington bannng them from entering warrington i think. (would have to see if i can find that one sure i have read it somewhere recently)

by the way the Bayleaf ones have now gone apparently after security and police went down (private land) but they may have just moved further up to where the others are at Birchwood or they might be the ones who aer now moving onto Silver Lane after the others left earlier in the week.

Absolutley ridiculous and it's like a big game of cat and mouse in Warrington with them all at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

The situation seems to be getting worse. As fast as the council/land owners move them on they appear either just move somewhere else in Warrington or a new group move in.

On the 'Report Break ins and Thefts Warrington' facebook group TODAY people are reporting groups of travellers & caravans currently on

Sankey Valley Park
Burtonwood Football Field
Birchwood Forest Park
Carpark on Dallam Lane near the Warrington Wolves Stadium.

Maybe if Clr/Mayor Geoff Settle or any other councilors read this he/they could advise us all what the council are actually going to do about this constant infestation ?

Possibly Gary but where would it go as I can't think of anywhere that wouldn't affect existing residents in some way.  Why does Warrington have to have one anyway as we already have enough permanent travellers camps here ie the one at Walton, one at Grappenhall, one at the top of Chester Road as you head to towards Darsebury (ok so classed as Halton but only up the road from here).  I'm sure I spotted one over near Gorsey Lane last month too but maybe I am mistaken and it was just caravan storage but there were people and kids there.

But anyway say we did get an official 'stop over' travellers site here would it work? 

Would that entice more to come through Warrington because there would be a site?  Probably...
How many spaces would it need and would it bee enough?...probably not as they clearly all like Warrington at the moment
Would they phone up to see if there are any vacancies for the weekend/week ?  No of course not....they would just turn up.
So when they just turn up, perhaps to find that the site already full, would they then go happily on their merry little way and leave the area?....  No, they would just do what they are doing now and park up wherever they damn well like.?

These ones who keep descending on us clearly see Warrington as an easy target and soft touch at the moment and it's getting ridiculous the amount that are coming and the mess they leave behind.  It's like a big game of cat and mouse and must be costing the council a fortune. 

Maybe a better solution is for the council to to do what the other council have done (link given a page or so back) and apply to the courts for a blanket ban on the whole of Warrington for now at least so that the council and police have powers to move them on immediately.

PS the ones I mentioned on Dallam Lane were swiftly moved on by the private car park's owner and less than a week after the last lot being moved on from Silver Lane another lot have now gone on there (maybe the ones moved from Dallam...no idea).

Moan over......

• Upvote 1

Or another idea.....

Why don't the existing permanent travellers on their own sites just squeeze up a bit and create a bit of space for their 'passing through' traveller friends to stay on on their sites ?!   I

If it turns out that a official site is the only answer though like you said Gary (decided by the powers that be who tick the boxes) then the travellers should club together and FUND it ALL themselves not the council with our money. 

They [travellers] clearly have more than enough money between them to do that.  If it's far enough away from Warrington residential areas then if they leave loads of crap behind then so be it and they are only spoiling it for themselves and the next family lot who pass through....

2nd moan over.....

Or another idea.....

Why don't the existing permanent travellers on their own sites just squeeze up a bit and create a bit of space for their 'passing through' traveller friends to stay on on their sites ?!   I

If it turns out that a official site is the only answer though like you said Gary (decided by the powers that be who tick the boxes) then the travellers should club together and FUND it ALL themselves not the council with our money. 

They [travellers] clearly have more than enough money between them to do that.  If it's far enough away from Warrington residential areas then if they leave loads of crap behind then so be it and they are only spoiling it for themselves and the next family lot who pass through....

2nd moan over.....

The travellers would pay a few quid to stop over to make it self financing - I am sure they would be happy to pay a bit for facilities than being chased off everywhere they go.

do people really think that by appeasing these "travellers" and giving them a site that this will stop their illegal camps and activities? I would argue to the contrary.... before you know it the "legal" camp would be full and the next lot will just camp on Victoria Park as they do now.

Just move them on and make their lives as difficult as possible when they do pitch up here... eventually they will get the message and just keep on travelling