New Labour Tax the Poor.

observer

Originally posted by wolfie:

Strange considering it was Labour that introduced the 10p band :confused:

Indeed Chancellor Brown did in 1999, somewhat tokenistic and it has come back to haunt him. Might have been better to have increased the personal allowance so that those on the most modest wages were taken out of the tax system altogether. As it is at the moment, and adding insult to injury, these people pay tax and then have to claim benefits. Don't politicians realise that many of those people on modest earnings do have personal pride...forcing people who you've taxed to claim benefits is shameful, it really is.

[ 12.04.2008, 09:08: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Seems New Labour have a new way of announcing their actions: with over 5million folk becoming worse off as a result of the scrapping of the 10p tax band, Gordon says "the vast majority are better off". :roll: - if 48% of folk were worse off, and 52% better off - I suppose technically "a majority" are better off. :confused: But wasn't the New Labour mission to create a "fairer Britain" and to "eradicate poverty"? :confused: :x

I still remember getting MIRAS on my mortgage and helping me get a mortgage even when interest rates are high. Perhaps its time to bring something similar back for us now.

If the truth ever comes out about how much has been spent on the war in Iraq then we will all be able to think about how things could have been. Less tax, cheaper petrol, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, they intend to borrow more money to increase the tax allowances (surely that benefits everyone though, not just the poor?)

However it will be nothing more than a cynical attempt to win votes at the forthcoming by election (Nothing like a good tax cut to keep the minions on side eh Gordon??)

Mind you, I did hear today that one political commentator had called the decision a "Crewe Cut" which I though was quite funny!!

The Chancellor (the badger!) said: that this measure was a one-off, for this year only. :? Errrm, so does that mean, that the 10p losers, will lose again next year? :shock: I noticed that folk on ?40k pa, who benefited from the 10p fiasco, will still benefit from this cynical correction. :roll: And of course, he's "borrowed" the ?2.7billion to pay for it; why not increase super-tax on the super-rich, to say 80% to pay for it? :wink:

But not sufficiently to make up the shortfall, hence his borrowing of ?2.7billion. :roll: Of the previous 5million losers, about 1million will still lose out, whilst 22milllion will be better off by about ?120. :roll: Can't see why Gordon ditched the 10p band in the first place, as progressive banding allows tax to be gathered in proportion to ability to pay. :wink:

He did it because he was showboating at his last budget as chancellor, not "to help the poor" as he always claimed. The threshold for paying the 40% tax has been lowered by the same ?600 that the lower limit has been raised so higher earners won't gain more than anyone else. But of course this is a one off measure so come next April we will all be back to square one. Some Crewe cut! :wink::wink::wink:

Quite liked the exchange today, Brown reeled off all sorts of "new" ideas that they have nicked from the Tories (and Cameron reeled off the dates when the Tories had first proposed these new ideas!!)

Even Nick Clegge (Leader of the Lib Dems in case you didn't know) was funny today (probably because Vince cable wrote his speech!!)............

"He's brought the budget forward by 10 months"..... "He's brought the Queens speech proposals forward by two months"...... "Whats he going to bring forward next?........Christmas???"

I did chuckle...

I know.... everyone of them are knee deep trough snufflers. However, at least with the Tories you expect some level of sleaze and corruption whereas the "Nu Labour Party" was elected back in '97 on a ticket of anti-sleaze and open government. All they have done in the last 10 years is line their own pockets more than the Tories ever did.

My theory on the matter is that they were so bloody shocked at actually getting into Government back then that they have never quite been able to believe that the public bought the advertising campaigns....... so ever since they have been feathering their own nests expecting for it all to come crashing down at any minute!! :lol::lol:

Seems Clegg has claimed a few bob for his second home being renovated

Just on that one.... I bet Chrissy is gutted; she does all the grass roots running around for the Lib Dems and Cleggy Boy is lining his pockets with allowances!!