New supermarket named

DS

I don't see what the people signing the petition can really hope to achieve anyway as the planning application has already been passed for the development and that can't now be reconsidered or refused.

All they could possibly achieve is for the Netto people to get sick to death of it all and just go somewhere else but like already said who's to say some other similar store wont then come along?  Will they keep petitioning every single one until the few get a store that they do fancy themselves.  Life just doesn't work like that.

I wonder how many of the people signing the petition who are saying they will NOT use it will actually shop there once it's opened though... I bet most will even if it's not for their main weekly shop :wink:

One for the Councillors that as only they know how such a stupid decision as refusing the Lidl at the Pink Eye area was arrived at. Don't hold your breath though. I notice Cllr Marks using very similar language in his opposition to the Netto store as was used in defense of the councils refusal for the Lidl

Not been on here for a while, but seeing as my home village seems to be under attack, I will have my say.  I haven't and won't be signing any petitions because I know it is a waste of time. The planners cannot refuse permission just because they don't like the applicant, or in this case, the tenant. I don't know anything about Netto because I had never even heard of it. But it is described as a discount food store. Well I Iike a discount as much as anyone and quite often visit pound shops, never mind discount stores. But has it not occurred to anyone that the reason a discount store might not be appropriate in an affluent area could be because it simply does not stock the goods the locals want to buy.  Believe it or not, but even the big stores in Warrington do not stock the same range of goods as those in Altrincham, who serve the Hale and Bowdon areas.  I shopped at Spar when it was in Lymm and quite frankly don't think the Sainsbury store is much better.  The Co-op is as good as anyone - but again it does not have the range of goods. I often find I have to go to two or three shops in Lymm to get what I want. So don't call me a snob - I'm just someone who knows what I want and can usually afford to buy it

Lucy if you want a supermarket that caters for everyones every need you are going to have to build one hell of a huge shop.  The small Netto store will stock a range of over 2000 items.  Do the affluent people of Lymm have very specific grocery requirements?  If so have them delivered or better still send the staff out for the foie gras.  I'm sure the normal, down to earth Lymm people will welcome the new store.   Whether or not your are to be considered a snob is frankly not up to you.

• Upvote 3

Maybe the pink eye Lidl has been rejected because the people didn't want that posh store near them and are campaigning for a VG or even a Continental (Now if anyone remembers the Continental food store that was on Lovely Lane opposite the hospital - its now the aerial shop - they used to have a hand painted sign with the phrase "For bestin food".... always made me smile! :)

Thats exactly where I live but I had electricity and broadband installed so that I could come on here and point out snobbery to snobs.  How is pointing out that you would need a giant shop to stock everything that everyone wants be classed as ill mannered.  You just like to point out that you are well off enough to buy what you want, I find boasting about money to be extremely poor form and lacking any class.  If you don't like me calling you a snob at least meet me half way and stop being one.

Have you no chewing gum spotting to do?

PJ  If your remark had been confined to the comment about the size of the shop it would not have been ill-mannered. But you then went on to infer that I was a snob, without cause.  My remark about being able to afford what I wanted does not necessarily mean that I have a lot of money, it could just as easily, and in fact does, mean that the things I want are not expensive. But I like particularly brands of various products and I find that the discount stores do not sell them. In fact they often sell only their own brands. But I don't need to defend myself to you as your track record on this forum shows what sort of an ill-mannered person you are. You cannot get involved in any debate without become offensive - and for you to remember the chewing gum debate of long ago, when you attempted to defend the indefensible, shows what you are.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

If anybody knows how this controversial supermarket development sailed through planning while the application for a Lidl on the piece of waste land by the Pink Eye roundabout was refused outright, I'd be interested to know.

I was just going to mention the Pink Eye Lidl/KFC too but are you sure about it been refused outright ?  I didn't think the final decision had actually been made yet about that one.

Beats me though how Lymm can get a new shopping development on that road and on land which is predominantly a run down bit of waste land and yet the council officers seem intent on recommending refusal of a much smaller scale development on the empty run down land at the pink eye.  Anyway there is already another topic about that so no more to say.

Hey solution though...

Maybe Netto could go at the Pink Eye instead and that would rule out any possible argument for it being too close to the existing Aldi etc.....and I wouldn't have to drive as far to shop there if it's any good :D   

Of course that could leave Lymm with NO new 'supermarket' at all as the likes of Waitrose etc have clearly already ruled themselves out and presumably don't think it's a viable location.  Not to worry though as like some on the petition have already said they will 'continue to travel out of Lymm to do their shopping' and a housing developer could always build on it instead.  Problem solved :D

Like not gritting in the South while doing it in the North as claimed on here?  All tosh though as it transpired, paranoia.  I bet some people in  all wards feel harder done to than other wards in virtually every town in Britain.  It is some peoples nature to be resentful, paranoid and self absorbed.  Recent research from the USA and Hong Kong seems to point to the fact that the more wealthy a person is the more selfish and vice versa with poorer people.  Perhaps this could be part of the problem :wink:

Oh look a strawman argument followed up by some personal abuse and a whole load of patronising drivel topped off with a passive-aggressive smiley. How very surprising.

Still, another thread degenerates to you just trolling away so big, slow handclap for you. 

• Upvote 8

Well would you believe it..... Lymm's Netto (and also Clr Marks and Clr Woodtwitt) have hit the nationals.  Bit misleading though to those who do not know the area as the article shows photo's of the lovely tranquil village and beautiful canal shot too....but that's NOT where Netto is going.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2998448/Wealthy-villagers-thought-getting-Waitrose-disappointed-discover-new-upmarket-store-branch-discount-chain-NETTO.html