New supermarket named

DS

I've never seen a Netto, is it  like Aldi/Lidl ?  Seems whatever it is though some people of Lymm clearly don't think it's posh enough for round there which in my opinion is a bit pathetic really   <hard hat at the ready>  :lol: 

Surely if people have done well enough in life to prefer and be able to buy quality products from quality shops they are entitled to do so without being subject to snide remarks about being "posh" or "snooty"?  The real worry is that as Sainsbury's have a half share in this business, they might decide to close their existing store in the village centre, which would be disastrous for the other small, independent traders.

Oh dear, a Netto in Lymm, whatever next.

Netto used to be a lot like Aldi but it is a new venture so don't know?

I've never seen a Netto, is it  like Aldi/Lidl ?  Seems whatever it is though some people of Lymm clearly don't think it's posh enough for round there which in my opinion is a bit pathetic really   <hard hat at the ready>  :lol: 

Surely if people have done well enough in life to prefer and be able to buy quality products from quality shops they are entitled to do so without being subject to snide remarks about being "posh" or "snooty"?  The real worry is that as Sainsbury's have a half share in this business, they might decide to close their existing store in the village centre, which would be disastrous for the other small, independent traders.

Completely agree re: if people have done well enough in life and prefer to buy quality goods they are entitled too Egbert but not everyone who lives in Lymm is wealthy or wants to buy from more expensive shops so why do some feel that they have the right to start a petition to stop a shop that others might actually want there.

As for my 'posh' comment it was only tongue in cheek as every time anything south of the canal is mentioned on here others often say we are all 'posh' or 'snobs' lol :wink: I do think they are being pathetic though starting a petition just because 'they' don't like the shop.

PS I don't live in Lymm by the way... wish I did though as it's lovely round there but shopping wise it is a bit naff.

The real worry is that as Sainsbury's have a half share in this business, they might decide to close their existing store in the village centre, which would be disastrous for the other small, independent traders.

The people of Lymm are being "posh" or "snooty" because they seem more concerned with who is selling the product. Who says that Netto's products will not be as fresh and of equal quality to Sainsbury's products?

• Upvote 1

I am sure the wealthy set of Lymm will spend just as much time in Netto as will their poorer & much maligned neighbours. To spot the difference just look for the Sainsbury's & M&S bags for life in the packing area. By the way there is nothing wrong with Aldi or Lidl.

• Upvote 1

Nice one PJ - although how you have the time to dig up such stuff I don't know.  But for clarification, I'm not a Lymmite, I have no objection to Netto, because I have never seen one. I simply object to those people in life who are so resentful about others who they perceive as being snobs.   We've all got a bit of snobbishness in us and we might as well admit it.  Even if it's inverted snobbery.

The more obnoxious  Lymmites objected to Netto as they feel it is beneath them to shop there, bunch of snotty nosed wannabes.  Lymm isn't exactly Alderley Edge now is it?  In fact its a bit of a dump in places.  I see no reason whatsoever to resent living there as you are almost guaranteed obnoxious neighbours :wink:

p.s. it took about 2 minutes to make

There's a lot of inverted snobbery in Warrington towards places like Lymm and Stockton Heath, including unfortunately from some people in the council. It's always struck me as being a bit misguided because those places aren't really 'posh' at all. It's like if somewhere isn't a complete shithole dump, many Warringtonians think it must be comparable to Harpenden. They need to get out more.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like not gritting in the South while doing it in the North as claimed on here?  All tosh though as it transpired, paranoia.  I bet some people in  all wards feel harder done to than other wards in virtually every town in Britain.  It is some peoples nature to be resentful, paranoid and self absorbed.  Recent research from the USA and Hong Kong seems to point to the fact that the more wealthy a person is the more selfish and vice versa with poorer people.  Perhaps this could be part of the problem :wink:

Anyhow,  back to the subject, seems the Lymm councillors are queuing up to make political gain from the issue.  Seems Cllr Marks (LibDed) is upset as he was wanting a shop which was a "high quality food store".  I don't imagine Netto will be selling low quality food stuffs, well if compared with all the other supermarkets, I imagine their offerings will be very similar but competitively priced for todays market.  he also brings up the scaremonger tactic about as Sainburys own a 50% stake in the venture that the Town centre store may close.  Bunkum.

If you are snooty please don't read any further.

In 2014 the nations favourite supermarket was Aldi, beating Witrose and M&S and Booths and Sainsburys.  Seems folk love the quality of the products and the value for money.  Well who wants to pay over the odds for anything?

Completely agree and Aldi is great.  Their fruit and veg is much nicer too and lasts longer than the likes of other supermarkets such as  Morrisons which goes off after a few days. A lot of their other own brand cheaper products have also won 'Best Buys' by Which Magazine as being better that well known brands too. 

If people really didn't like Aldi's/Lidl's then the major supermarkets wouldn't frantically be trying to price match them now to draw shoppers back to them.  Netto sounds a lot like them so I really can't see what the problem is and it's not like it's going to be slap bang in the middle of Lymm anyway as it's on the road out and not a particularly 'posh' area round there anyway.

Must admit it's rather interesting reading all the submitted comments on the petition page though.  Some are quite valid I suppose but then you get the ridiculous, one person has even said a "Netto is not in keeping with the residents of Lymm. This will attract people from Partington and other bad areas and so crime will go up."... and their name is there for all to see.  Hope they board their windows up... :lol:  

I wonder if there's another petition for all the residents to sign who do actually want a Netto there ?

Did laugh when I saw Ian Mark's mugshot on the latest news article about it.  Wonder which one will be next my guess is Bob Barr (as he lives in Lymm too and wants to be the Warrington South MP.  GOD FORBID !!) closely followed by Terry O'Neil  :lol:

Actually, if you look up the word "posh" you'll find that to call someone posh is actually paying them something of a compliment.  And from what I hear, Alderley Edge has more or less been taken over by footballers who, while they might have money, certainly are not posh!