Farage

asperity

To be quite honest ,may be it is time the Race Relations Laws were scrapped. Too often Britons are disadvantaged by them while all sorts of undesirable immigrants turn up & hide behind the laws. Perhaps a fairer way of controlling job hunting immigrants would be to ensure that the British companies that are targeting EU workers & the specially created agencies that source them are made to pay at least the national minimum wage or even better the new living wage. At least EU & British workers  would then be on an even footing.

• Upvote 1

Think Nige is talking about the ability or otherwise of a British employer to choose between passport carrying British labour and foreign (mainly EU) labour. The problem of course is - (a) many employers prefer EU labour as having a better work ethic and possibly cost less to employ. (B) are mandated to treat all as equals under EU free movement law in any case. As for the "race" question; it may actually operate against these discrimination acts, as, according to Labour, 48,000 British ethnic minority school leavers havn't found employment for the past year, whilst over 3 million "white" EU immigrants are now in work over here. So, it's more relevant to opt out of the EU and the free movement directive; so that, in the words of Labour's Gordon Brown, we can ensure "British jobs for British workers" !

In the mid seventies I lived over in states and back then companies had to fill forms stating why it was necessary to employ a foreign worker over a US national and I think it works much the same over in Australia. Seems to make a lot of sense to me especially when you consider that we as tax payers have to pay unemployment benefits to those who then cannot work as a result. A better solution would be to use the money that would be spent on unemployment benefits to subsidize companies companies that due to costs would otherwise need to employ a foreign worker and that way everyone wins.

On the work ethic though there's no argument and I personally know of several companies I'm involved with who actually bring in taxi drivers from places like Romania because the Brits just don't want do the work. The crazy thing is though it's not just about the money because many of these taxi drivers earn significantly more than I do.

Mr Nigel is talking a lot of common sense and the other politicians seem to be trying to twist his words into something else.

Bill :)

• Upvote 2

The transport industry is now massively understrength  because many people no longer want the long hours involved & also various EU directives & UK government money making schemes have made the obtaining of an HGV licence so expensive & so daunting. The industry, which has been decimated over the years by agency involvement, is ripe for foreign drivers to fill the gaps.          There are no government training courses these days to get  people off benefits & for someone to try & go it alone to get a licence is so expensive ,a tax on working in fact.

Interesting points guys:  the trouble with our two-party system is it's locked into dogma based solutions rather than common sense. EG: Labour wants to remove exploitation from the work place (zero hour contracts; bring in a living wage etc);  while the Tories want to reduce benefit spending (unemployment pay). So why not a combination of the two?  If there are jobs available, and they are at proper pay rates and conditions; job centres should be notified and claimants sent seek work (if qualified).  If the job seeker refuses the job or fails to show any interest; strike one. Three strikes and benefits are withdrawn. Priority should be afforded to British job seekers; but I'm afraid this may infringe the EU free movement directive; which means the only solution is to exit the EU.