Warrington Transporter Bridge (BBC news)

Dizzy

Anyone know when the first Warrington transporter bridge was dismantled? (Or at least remember how far back it wasn't there!)

Steve

Janice Hayes at the museum would probably be able to help. I have a few photos showing the original one being dismantled as it was part of a building on one side of the river that appeared in a Crosfields Chronicle dated spring 1958 so I'm guessing late 1957-early 1958?280pdsl.jpg

Baz re your last photo which shows the bowling green pub, bowling green triangle etc would the little road going down at the left of the triangle be the old Green Street before it was sort of cut off and a dead end as it is today?

Also would you happen to have a photo showing a bit more of the bottom left of that pic from the same time or either earlier/later ?  Fingers crossed :D

Dizzy you've had me turning my head upside down, studying Google maps etc trying to get orientated. I quite often walk into town through Sankey Bridges and past the old Bowling Green. Where the actual bowling green (not the pub building, the bowling green itself) was, is now the Crossfield roundabout, and the road you identify is Green St, which is sort of a dead end street now. I may be wrong but it's time I went to bed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: