Warrington's New Theatre...!?!

Dizzy

I can't believe some of the negativity to the Bridge Street development.

But it is not a Bridge St development, it supposed to be a regeneration program for Bridge St but what will it actually achieve?

Point out a cinema was planned on the site opposite Central Station but was deemed not viable, so why would a cinema not only be viable in the market sq but regenerate Bridge St too. If a development is needed surely it should go opposite Central Station were their is cleared land available.

The development in widnes that I refer to is indeed the one around the cinema. It's called the Hive and is on the edge of the town centre. However it isn't in a very pedestrian friendly location. Ours will be slap bang in the town centre, in easy reach of the bus station, shops etc. When my kids were in their early teens, I would have let them travel to a town centre location but not Westbrook because of its location.

As for the popularity of the cinema. They were in decline in the 80s as they were mainly old, too large, smoky and dated interiors. Videos ruled for a couple of years. However about the time of the release of the full Monty. People started to come back to the new multiplexes that had been built and were attracted to the smoke-free, clean and comfortable surroundings. Towns like the ones mentioned and others like Stockport, Bury, Birkenhead all have town centre cinemas. Others like Chester and Wigan have realised that out of town ones are not the answer and have plans similar to ours.

The refusal of the application to build a cinema on winwick street was nothing to do with there being no demand, it was that a development there would shift the balance further north away from bridge street eventually killing it. The cinema proposal was granted on the condition that it was where it is being built. 

Looked at the proposals and it looks a damned site better than the miserable reminder we have at the minute.  Apart from the cinema which could change into other use I quite like it.  

Admit it you like the council offices!

The refusal of the application to build a cinema on winwick street was nothing to do with there being no demand, it was that a development there would shift the balance further north away from bridge street eventually killing it. The cinema proposal was granted on the condition that it was where it is being built. 

But how will a cinema make a difference to Bridge St? If you go to the movies in Westbrook, when you leave Asda is not exactly a hive of activity as you get in your car and go home. Same is true of Trafford Center, the Print Works or even these cinemas located near the town center like St Helens.

Told there used to be a restaurant at Westbrook but closed down, surprised there is no mcdonnalds or kfc it its place.

Admit it you like the council offices!

I admit that I can't stand New Town House.  I admit that the plans, cinema, offices et al look a damned site better than the walk through mausoleum which is a depressing reminder of death and murder, not really uplifting is it?  The area does need developing and I haven't seen a better plan, not even from the self appointed geniuses on here.

Is Westbrook in the Bronx?

apparently so to listen to some of the comments on here.... even though there would appear to be less crime that Lymm and Stockton Heath and the town centre..... maybe some inverted snobbery going on ?? :)

I got lost in Westbrook over xmas and noticed just how many gorgeous houses there are round there.  I've never really looked round there before. 
All the streets and lovely houses were twinkling with beautiful xmas lights and other decorations too and it was being in a fairy tale :D  I'd like to live round there...let me know if any in your street ever come up for sale Baz and we could become neighbours, bet you'd love that eh? :D:lol:

I got lost in Westbrook over xmas and noticed just how many gorgeous houses there are round there.  I've never really looked round there before. 

All the streets and lovely houses were twinkling with beautiful xmas lights and other decorations too and it was being in a fairy tale :D  I'd like to live round there...let me know if any in your street ever come up for sale Baz and we could become neighbours, bet you'd love that eh? :D:lol:

Next door but two has just sold Dizzy..... not sure you would put up with me and all the old cars on the front though! :)

That's fine Baz and we have 3 old cars too so that wouldn't bother me in the slightest... ok so ours aren't as old as yours though :wink:  We have a dog though so would you be able to cope with that as I seem to remember you don't like them much  :lol:

This is becoming a Westbrook bashing thread which was never my intention. My criticism is that it is the wrong location for a cinema. Unless you live in one of the fine residences nearby, you have to use a car to get there. Even places like Sankey or Bewsey which are not far as the crow flies are very difficult to travel from unless by car.

A location in the town centre will bring more foot traffic to the immediate area (Bridge St) by people visiting the cinema. Parents will bring their kids in and hopefully use the town centre shops while they are there.

Whenever I've been to the Trafford Centre or Printworks they have been very busy, and I've usually spent a bit of money in the immediate area.

Great quote from Cllr Woodyatt

"I was not happy about a new supermarket anyway, but when I heard it would be Netto my first reaction was 'who are they?' - I had never heard of them.

"I am absolutely certain there are those who think Aldi and Lidl are wonderful stores - my daughter shops there - but I just hoped if we had to have a store it would be Waitrose or Booths.

Just reminds me of all those people who say.... I'm not a racist; I have an Asian friend :)