More political interference ?

observer

part one of question. yes they are fit for purpose.

part two of question. no it is not due to political meddling it is due to the existance of league tables.gat rid of the league table system and the problem will be solved.

peopl will send their children to the "best" school and avoid the "worst" school. as a result the "worst" school will get fewer children and so should start to improve (smaller class sizes  will enable teachers to devote more time to individual pupls),whilst the "best" school will get more children and as a result standards will drop (more pupils means less time per pupil by the teachers)

then again i could be wrong. maths was never my strong point

I think you'll find that the electorate are not too fussed about French immigrants from a 1000 years ago; or even the Germans of 70 years ago and their failed attempt at our assimilation....the ones over the past 10 years do worry people however and if Serbia and Albania and Turkey get to the EU trough; expect even more worries!

History is history I can trace my family back into the late 1600's and they lived either in Norfolk or Staffordshire.... I would question whether anyone with modest resources could tell which country (if any) their descendants came from originally anyway, so that is just hogwash.

As for us invading other countries; yes we did and a lot of apologising and hand wringing has already been done by Tony Blair as I recall. It isn't up to me to feel guilty about being British though; our ancestors did what they needed to in order to survive and to better themselves, just as the modern and poorer Europeans are doing today. Our ancestors faced resistance and hatred from the indigenous peoples, and things aren't much different now I guess

I wonder if there was a section of the populous in India that welcomed the British and thought that mass immigration from us was a good thing that would help to enrich their country?

Same outcomes, so what's the difference?   Fairly simple equation:  there are limits to the numbers that can occupy a finite space; anyone trying for the world record at cramming folk into a public telephone box can tell you that !  Think we now have the highest population density in Europe and the third highest in the world; so the lifeboat is well and truly FULL.  I don't blame anyone for seeking "a better life"; I blame successive UK & EU Governments for allowing it, and in some cases promoting it. Unmanaged increases in population adversely impact on public services;  especially at a time of so-called austerity, when we have a Government bent on cutting such services.

:lol: Utter codswallop.  We've totally failed to educate and train our own youngsters for a range of occupations, failed to pay them properly and generally cut the services in any case.  Meanwhile, the professionals we employ from abroad, merely serves to denude their home nations of much needed talent. According to you, if we didn't have immigration the country would seize up; which is complete nonsense; what is causing our country to seize up is an uncontrolled surge in population (1 million every four years), which has overloaded cash strapped public services - simple demand exceeding supply.

Codswallop?  I bow to your obvious superior knowledge in that department.  The London Ambulance Service is losing paramedics at treble the rate of previous years and has to recruit from all over the world.  Here is a report.

he number of paramedics leaving the profession in London has almost trebled in the last three years, according to a new report. 

Figures from the London Health Board showed that 238 people left the London Ambulance Service (LAS) in 2013-14, compared to 80 from 2011-2012.

Thirty paramedics left in May 2014 alone, the board said.

LAS said there are currently 250 paramedic vacancies and it is continuing to recruit staff. 

Living costs

The report, entitled Making the Case for London, stated that if current trends continued there could be 600 frontline vacancies across the LAS by the end of 2014.

"The most acute group is that of paramedics, in May we lost 30 and if that trend continues, even accounting for those paramedics graduating in September and joining us (which is by no means certain) this will still leave us with a shortfall," the report said.

The paper added that even with 100 graduates joining the service in September, the service could potentially lose 180 by then. 

The report said that affordable housing and transport costs were some of the issues which could affect whether staff choose to stay in the role. 

Paramedics leaving LAS
  • 80 in 2011-12
  • 181 in 2012-13
  • 238 in 2013-14

Source: London Health Board

The LAS are calling on more to be done to tackle the cost of living for healthcare staff in cities. 

LAS director of operations Jason Killens said: "The real issue for us here is the high cost of living and working in London. Not only for us but all public sector workers.

"The evidence we have submitted to the London Health Board and indeed to the national pay review body is asking them to seriously consider what more can be done to support all public sector workers with the true cost of living in our capital cities."

About 3,300 operation staff work for the LAS, including 1,784 paramedics. 

Earlier this year, the LAS said it had been granted permission to recruit overseas, with the UK Border Agency approving their application to sponsor work visas for non-European paramedics.

If you think leaving the EU and banning immigration will improve this country and its financial standing and its populations quality of life then you must indeed have mastered the art of coswallop and if you think that we do not need immigration you are seriously deluded

Definitely codswallop: because existing staff are leaving - so why are they leaving? Address the reason and you solve the problem. The only shortage is being created by cuts in wages and services generally, so the only reason immigrants will be required is as cheap and compliant labour.

No. Sort out the inadequate staffing and pay levels, retain and train required staff.  What we have, is proof, if proof were needed, that the free movement of labour, is merely a means of undercutting wages, which have generally reduced (in real terms) below 2008 levels; after all, I suppose anything beats 3 kopecks a day !

So what do all these ex-paramedics and ex-teachers and ex-nurses and ex-taxi drivers and ex-doctors do when they leave the professions? Where do they go?

I cannot believe for one minute that anyone (let alone the numbers supposedly at question here) would leave a perfectly good professional job unless they absolutely have to; regardless of the stress of the job to go on the dole (which they can't be because the unemployment figures are coming down) so who is telling porkies here? someone has to be surely

And as for the cost of living issues, many EU migrants will quite happily live with others of the same nationality (quite a few others in some cases) and so you will have a situation where one house in London can have 8 or 9 wage earning people living in it; bringing the individual cost per head down whereas you may have one UK family in a similar house where they really can't afford the rent or rates etc. and do get driven out because of the cost of living