Vandals Strike AGAIN - Ackers Pit

Dizzy

Well it certainly served to illustrate what’s turning people away and hopefully people will take note but enough said so let’s move on. The concern now is what can be done to prevent this happening again and that’s what needs debating.

I agree with what Baz say’s in that the message about antisocial behaviour starts with the family and especially the young ones but that’s been said over and over for as long as I can remember so clearly it’s an ideal that just doesn’t work. Even if you could get everyone (which you can’t) to start educating kids now, it’d take generations for it to have any significant affect. So we end up looking at short-term fixes like cameras or even restricting access with fences and locks (Woolston Eyes comes to mind here) but do we seriously want to live in an environment like that?  

For me the solution must come from strict enforcement of the law with heavy fines rather than all the “namby panmby” methods that get used these days. If there’s a big fine for anti social activities with no exceptions, then the yobs will take note but so also will the parents of the young kids.

We need laws that work and that are acted on, not cameras and locks.

Bill :)

I agree with Bill that we need laws that work, and are acted on - but I don't agree that we don't need cameras.

To quote Gilly from yesterday 'We are frightened of it happening again so we are looking for a better solution.'

One better solutiion would be CCTV cameras.

It is such a pity that we need to have this discussion/debate, and I think it will have an impact on members losing interest in this forum, and maybe on whether the forum should continue.

It is my hope that a line can be drawn under this, and that we can look forward to some positive way forward in order to prevent anything like this happening again.

Hill Cliffe

Clearly cameras are a deterrent and can be installed quickly unlike changes in the law. But putting up cameras in one place just moves the problem to where there's none and so it goes on until we have cameras all over the show and where does it all stop?

It's rather like putting metal shutters over a shop window which then makes adjacent properties an easier target and they have to follow suite. In the end we have a unsightly shuttered up society that's secure but conveys a sense that there's a threat still out there that's not being dealt with and it doesn't have to be this way.

The laws are already in place it's just that they're not being enforced. The police won't investigate this so the yobs get away with it and will simply do it again and so at infinitum. And btw, seeing who did something (without threat of punishment) will likely mean that they'll just stick two fingers up at the camera.

Tom Winsor the Chief Inspector of the Constabulary stated,

The police have already made and done, cuts of 20% in the last four years, and they are facing cuts of a further 5% next year.

"Nobody would argue that shoplifting is as serious as a violent assault and therefore the police need to look for the crimes that matter most to people, that do greatest harms to communities - serious and organised crime, drugs, violent offences, the grooming and sexual exploitation of children.

It means that they need to understand the kinds of crimes that people are experiencing now - cyber crime, cyber enabled crime, the sexual exploitation of children, crimes that are either enabled by the internet or indeed carried out using the internet

Not sure how the vandalism of a bench fits into that.

I'll tell you how Wolfie.

If crime is allowed to go unpunished, it grows thus making more work for the police who then tell us they need to prioritize.

If people were more fearful about the consequences of breaking the law then there would be less of it.

Simple really isn't it.

Bill 

No point in telling me Bill, tell the Chief Inspector of the Constabulary who has prioritised crime to suit the number of Police available.

BTW  the Chief Inspector of the Constabulary is an ex railway worker employed by the government to reduce costs, in doing so he has decided that minor crime will not be a priority.

I haven't been to Ackers Pit for years and from what I remember, it wasn't the most well-lit of places.... putting cameras up would also require power and some form of connection cable back to either a local receiver or further afield via the cloud or similar. Not sure if they make wireless internet ready cameras with low light capabilities, but standard cameras would be of little use there me thinks!

You can all debate, argue and disagree regarding this problem/crime on this forum and it won't make one iota of difference to what the council will or won't do and what action if any the police will take, pressure needs to be brought to bear in the correct channels and not to huff and puff on here , all you are doing is expressing personal opinions and at the end of all this nothing will change!.

But expressing personal opinions is what debating is all about. I don’t think for one moment that anything I say as an individual is going to change anything but there was a time when this forum provided the only platform for people of this town to express their views in real time. And back then, before it shrank to just a few people, it was far more representative of public opinion and did catch the eyes of the local decision-makers. It’d be nice to think that something like this could be restored.

But expressing personal opinions is what debating is all about. I don’t think for one moment that anything I say as an individual is going to change anything but there was a time when this forum provided the only platform for people of this town to express their views in real time. And back then, before it shrank to just a few people, it was far more representative of public opinion and did catch the eyes of the local decision-makers. It’d be nice to think that something like this could be restored.

I agree Bill and as you say it would be nice to think that what was debated on here would catch the eyes of the decision makers, however the with advent of TwoFaced book that seems to have gone out of the window.

My comment was aimed at those that tend to go perhaps a few steps further than debate and use most topics that they supposedly 'debate' to boost their own egos by shouting other members down, and that usually ends in a free for all with the original topic being totally neglected!.

Who am I to say who can debate and who can't debate, thats not my call Wolfie, as I stated not everyone wishes to debate, some use it as a platform to enforce their wiews on others or at least attempt to, I believe we used to call them 'Wind Up Merchants'!. :D:wink:

I agree Bill and as you say it would be nice to think that what was debated on here would catch the eyes of the decision makers, however the with advent of TwoFaced book that seems to have gone out of the window.

My comment was aimed at those that tend to go perhaps a few steps further than debate and use most topics that they supposedly 'debate' to boost their own egos by shouting other members down, and that usually ends in a free for all with the original topic being totally neglected!.

Not sure if they make wireless internet ready cameras with low light capabilities,

They do. aldi were selling them a while back for about £30.

connect via wireless with infra red night vision and you can set them to give an alarm via the email, or text. you can access them through the software provided and control the camera for pan and tilt as well. you can also allow public limited access to them so that anybody on the internet can view the camera via their browser. Even has a built in mic for sound. all you need is a power socket and internet access via a wifi connection and sorted.

Sid, I don't think the quality on a £30 camera will be up to identifying or even seeing people in the dark.  Also its easy to mount a camera anywhere but the real issue is providing it with power and networking especially in the middle of a field etc.

can't argue with you about the quality issue as never tried the one i was given for christmas in the dark. mind you given some of the pictures that are  shown of shoplifters then hard wired systems do not seem to be too clever either.

as fro providing power. they supply lights so a feed of a street light close to the pit could be arranged. and with a mobile internet connection same as a smart phone that would be simple enough to wire in. Hmm might be onto something there. internet cctv cameras with built in connection to a moobile phone system all in one package.

(ps if anybody does come up with this idea later please credit me as being the first to mention it at least, not bothered about the royalties)

Sid the camera you have is probably ok for seeing who is at your front door a couple of feet from the camera but not much cop up a huge pole in a dark field. I don't think you would be able to use street lighting to power your electrical device, unless you are a gypsy :D  besides, the power to the lights goes off during daylight hours so no camera.  Also I think that will just provide something else for the kids to vandalise lol