Vandals Strike AGAIN - Ackers Pit

Dizzy

I have been given permission by the person who took these photo's today, and posted them on facebook, to upload them to here.

What on earth is wrong with people these days that they think gives them the right to do things like this !!!  First it was the male swan and eggs that went missing leaving the female swan alone and distraught, not to mention the Parish notice boards being ripped off and taken and signs being vandalised too.

And now this !!

The local resident went for a walk this morning (Saturday 17 Jan 2015) around Ackers Pit in Stockton Heath as usual only to find the new, quality bench (that was cemented into the ground by the way) had been ripped up and thrown into the water.

What makes it even more disgraceful is that the bench had only recently been installed and it was clear for all to see that it was in memory of someone who had recently passed away and this must be so upsetting for the gents family :(

The resident managed to pull the bench out of the water and has since reported it to the non emergency police number (101) who have also informed Stockton Heath Parish Council.  The bench should hopefully be reinstated back in it's rightful place on Monday but...

If anyone reading this noticed anything suspicious or anyone hanging about can they please inform the local police and Parish Council ASAP so hopefully whoever did this can be found.

AckersPitStocktonHeathBenchVandalised17J

I agree whole heatedly Latchford. The marks on the ground suggest it was dragged rather than carried so it may well have been the work of just one individual. If that was the case and given the effort it must have taken, it’s baffling to think why anyone would even attempt to do something like this without some kind of motive.

We can only hope it’s just the actions of a gang of young kids who don’t know any better.

Bill :)

Given he must have been nearly 90 years old, I very much doubt that he'd have been upsetting too many people. It's the fact that it was dragged rather than carried that makes this a bit odd but either way it won't be investigated and just be put down to vanadalism.  And as Latchford says, if it's an individual then there's someone out there with some serious issues.

Bill :)

I'm guessing it was probably dragged because some of the lumps of concrete on the legs were still attacked and also if it's the same sort of bench as the other one there it's very sturdy wood so probably quite heavy. 

I'm still absolutely fuming that someone could do something like that and I've just been told the bench is damaged too  GRRRRR !!

Here's one of the lumps of concrete which it was set in... looks about the same size as the scrape marks

From what I have read over the years on this forum, it has become apparent to me that the mindless acts by youngsters are just a  'feel big' game.  We were all kids once and either considered minor acts of mischief or committed them - scrumping?.  Why did they remain minor?  Because we were scared of the consequences.    Now that consequences have been removed - God knows why -  the minor mischiefs have graduated to major acts of unpunished crime.  The remedy is obvious.  Liberals will say "Deterents don't work, hugs are better !!!!"   However, deterents do do work, maybe not a 100%, but if five out of ten kids are detered, then the incidents are cut by 50%.

• Upvote 1

Ye Gods! Do we have to have stupid comments about former councillors etc brought into a serious topic?  That sort of mentality is almost as bad as the idiots who committed such mindless acts of vandalism!

I completely agree Horace and out of respect to both the gent who passed away and his family I have made those posts invisible and I have also done the same with the other ones regarding them. 

Sorry everyone but you did say you wanted moderators/admin (me) to toughen up and I would have done it anyway on this topic given the circumstances and the fact that the gents family and friends may well read this and will be upset enough as it is !!

No more please !!

Hope someone can name and shame those responsible and haul them before the courts for criminal damage and get them on a restoration community programme to repair the damage.

Gary, is this something that can be put on the news page so even more people see it as someone may come forward with info?  I said I would ask you and you also have permission to use any of the photo's.

I completely agree Horace and out of respect to both the gent who passed away and his family I have made those posts invisible and I have also done the same with the other ones regarding them. 

Sorry everyone but you did say you wanted moderators/admin (me) to toughen up and I would have done it anyway on this topic given the circumstances and the fact that the gents family and friends may well read this and will be upset enough as it is !!

No more please !!

Ye Gods, I would defy anyone to consider my post offensive. :roll:  :roll:

Was the bloke an ex councillor or not? If not then why should the Parish Council honour him by way of a plaque on a bench?

I never said your post was offensive but it led to others that were not very fitting for the topic...so they all went at the same time.  Sorry if that offends you.

I've no idea who the gent was and why's that important or relevant anyway?  Maybe his family bought the memorial bench and asked for permission to put it there, maybe he was a fisherman or just enjoyed spending time there.

The issue here is that some 'grot' or 'grots' (can't use the word I really want to use) have deliberately vandalised it and all for what ?  I wish I could get my hands on them !!   

My post was simply a reply to Bill who assumed that he would not have offended anyone because of his age. I simply said that IF he was an ex councillor he may have had many enemies.

If the reference to councillors etc was deemed upsetting enough to have the post(s) removed then Horace's post which highlighted the reference should have been removed also.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for clearing that up Ann, although like I said earlier I don't know what the relevance of who who paid for the bench or had it sited there has to do with anything. 

What IS relevant is the fact that some mindless idiot has vandalised it and here's hoping someone saw something so they can be caught.  Is it correct that the Parish Council are arranging for repairs to the bench and hope to have it resited securely again tomorrow. 

I am told someone has now put it back in the original place as 3 of the concrete blocks are still on the the legs but the other leg has been damaged.  Obviously it is not secure in it's present state but it would be good to know that action is to be taken quickly as it must be so upsetting and annoying too for the family.