What a team They Were!

algy

Brilliant.  The commentators in those days were so well spoken, polite and concise and it's rather funny to hear.  Better than the gruesome twosome who rattle on insanely and drive my other half mad when he's trying to watch and enjoy Warrington on Sky sports.

I think Mr Dizzy's mum and dad went to that match but from the sound and looks of it most of Warrington did.

I wuz there !!!!!   Been a million years since I heard those names and it's not very often that Palin was called 'Harold'.   Does anyone remember singing " Knowlden - he's a bold'en, but give the ball to Bevan - he's the greatest of them all"  Saw almost every game of that team, right to the end of their careers and then drank beer with Harry Bath in his pub on Scotland Road.  Thanks Algy.

• Upvote 1

There you go Davy, much better memory than me.   Other than one Other Nationalities game, that must have been the most video coverage Bevan ever got - mores the pity.

Don't know where the name Moggy came from  Algy, but he was part of a funny little incident that I once saw.  Apologies to Dizzy, I was at a Wigan v Warrington game on New Years Day in around 1968 /70.  As usual, at half time we all rushed to the outside bathroom, which soon became packed to the walls and ankle deep.  Again, as usual, those who couldn't get in, lined up against the stadium wall and took care of business.  One of those at the wall was Moggy Pailin, he was about halfway though I guess, when here comes a 5'-8", very young fuzz faced cop, who begins to berate and threaten Moggy with arrest.  He was immeadiately surrounded by the crowd, all calling at him "Don't you know who this is?"  Moggy who stood head and shoulders above the cop and twice as wide, turned around with a big grin on his face and gently patted the top of the cops helmet, with a hand like a ham and walked away.