Should it stay or should it go?

Gary

Cross posting sorry..... your site sounds good Inky

British Gas are right con merchants and tried to rip my other halfs elderly mum off until I got involved and they cancelled her proposed new boiler etc.  Good to know there are some decent people about like the ones you mention.
We have British Gas cover on ours which I was tempted to cancel but as we don't know any reputable gas service bods (having never needed one) we kept ours cover running just in case but are thinking of cancelling again.

I know who to message now if we ever need anyone :wink:

I'm sat here thinking about all the DIY jobs that desperately need doing or finishing in my house and my mind is going into overdrive now  :lol:    1) Plumber  2) plasterer  3) someone who can wallpaper.... might be a long list by the end of the night. 

We had a single parent on just after Christmas who had no heating or hot water. They'd called out British Gas since they had been paying for boiler cover, but BG declared the boiler obsolete and beyond economic repair and just offered a £500 discount against a new boiler install quoted at over £3500.

Within a couple of hours a couple of the experts had diagnosed the problem and provided details of the required part - including finding a supplier who had it in stock. A local RGI then fitted the part and fixed the problem.

Total cost £75 including the part.

Needless to say, the user has cancelled their boiler cover - saving them around £30 a month - and now has a local RGI who they can trust and can call on in future.

In my book that's a saving of thousands.

Maybe your forums should be advising people on how to avoid the scams pulled off by the likes of British Gas when it comes to their maintenance. That is the third case I have heard where they tell the customer it is beyond repair and then quote them a massive bill. I've had a couple of boilers installed over the past two years; both combis, and neither cost more than £1100 fitted and that was with the 10 year warranty on the boiler from the manufacturer and installation including a lot of pipe alterations...

Some people just do not know how to shop around

I'm sat here thinking about all the DIY jobs that desperately need doing or finishing in my house and my mind is going into overdrive now  :lol:    1) Plumber  2) plasterer  3) someone who can wallpaper.... might be a long list by the end of the night. 

1) I know a very good one

2) I know a very good one

3) I know a very good one

all tradesmen (Plumber is gas safe certified) drop me a line if you want numbers. I've know the plumber and the plasterer for over 30 years each and the decorator is just amazing and cheaper than bothering to do it yourself..... and I used to love DIY!!

I go along the route of reducing the sections.

I moderate on a more active forum and have been involved with running others for years and monitor other forums that cover similar interests.  The ones that are least active are the ones with loads of sections that arnt being fully used. 

This forum isnt too bad that way but could benefit from a reduction and renaming exercise

I own and moderate on other forums also but it's a different kettle of fish. Forums with a specific interests tend not to have the squabbling that goes on here because everyone shares a similar interest and people go there mainly for help and advice rather than to sound off about something.

As for too many topics, I agree, they're mostly redundant anyway but it's purely a cosmetic exercise that won't solve any problems. There's an old saying "Don't discus politics or religion if you want to keep friends and avoid arguments" but that's exactly happens here. It's the root of all arguments and it's what keeps moderate people away. 

Imagine a first time visitor wanting to know what's going on in the town, they click on local stuff and get Labours Candidate Clueless Say's it all doesn't it.

Bill :)

But he does come across as clueless Bill and he's local so your point about that particular topic is what, after all it is almost election time and even I've had a phone call from the survey people for the first time EVER.

Anyway enough of that. 

Reading all the comments quite a lot of you are agreeing that some of the sections should go and Gary did mention doing that too.  SO.....

Which sections do you all tend NOT to use/read and why ?  
Is it because the main topic headers are not something that interest you so you don't bother looking or because the content that is currently being posted under them is usually things that don't interest you ?

I read them all but then again that may be because I have to but thinking back I always used to have a quick look through each, not necessarily reading every word though,  when new things were posted anyway.

If it is to be 'shrunk' and I had to choose which bits I though should go I think I'd opt to get rid of the

Frodsham Life
section as that's rarely used

Book and Film Reviews... hardly ever used  (and General Chat sort of covers that anyway)

Poets Corner... hardly used these days (but Harry Hayes has some lovely poems he has written on there so would be a shame to loose those)

Recipes... hardly used now but again there's some good past stuff on there

And ALL OF THE SPORT SECTION  Yawn :wink::lol: 

Imagine a first time visitor wanting to know what's going on in the town, they click on local stuff and get Labours Candidate Clueless Say's it all doesn't it.

Bill :)

and exactly what is wrong with that topic Bill? The guy IS clueless.... and devious (as was said by a n other).... he blames government policy and cuts and yet it would appear that the national picture is completely different to what he is claiming.... I stopped short of saying he was telling porkies; so some restraint was shown

If it is to be 'shrunk' and I had to choose which bits I though should go I think I'd opt to get rid of the

Frodsham Life section as that's rarely used

Book and Film Reviews... hardly ever used (and General Chat sort of covers that anyway)

Poets Corner... hardly used these days (but Harry Hayes has some lovely poems he has written on there so would be a shame to loose those)

Recipes... hardly used now but again there's some good past stuff on there

And ALL OF THE SPORT SECTION Yawn :wink::lol:

Photos of Warrington - nothing since July 2014

Frodsham Life as Dizzy said

Book and Film Reviews...as Dizzy said

Poets Corner... as Dizzy said

Recipes... as Dizzy said

General Sport - 4 threads since August, not 1 reply to the last one.

Jokes and Quizzes the jokes are crap and the quizzes too easy.

Find Family and Friends only 4 threads since 2009.

Computers and Internet only 1 new thread since 2013

• Upvote 1

Nice one Wolfie and I must admit I wasn't actually expecting a sensible reply from you  :lol::D

I think the problem with the 'Photos of Warrington' section and why it's not used as much now is because it's a pain to upload pics to the forum without hosting them elsewhere.  I must admit I've not put any on for ages after realising how much easier it is to just stick them on the likes of facebook.

The jokes section makes me laugh though......

Think issues of the day are generally "political"; there are some niche subjects such as cooking, gardening and history; that folk may be interested in; plus of course sport; sure there can be something for everyone. Problems occure when folk give way to personal attack rather than engaging in subject matter. It would seem reasonable for Gary or his mods to delete the more testeroned rants.

• Upvote 1

Fair point Obs re mods deleting the more personal attacks.  I can only speak for myself (well other than Gary there's only me anyway) but I do tend to let you all get on with it and fight from your own corners so to speak when maybe I shouldn't.  I suppose it's because I'm sort of used to you all on here and how everyone 'interacts' at times. :oops:  

Well post by post it would seem that it's all my fault then for being to nice and not wanting to spoil your 'fun' when some of you have heated debates with each other.

Maybe some of you remember having right goes at moderators in the past for editing posts when you felt hard done to and that we were overstepping the mark.  People even used to start topics complaining about it :rolleyes:     

Anyway YES and of course you are right, there is no justification for anyone to put harsh personal attacks against another member on here.

Just wondering though.... but if people have been offended by either receiving or reading any posts that may be deemed to be offensive or a 'personal attack' against themselves or others why hasn't everone been using the REPORT POST button.  That's what the button is there for and it flags the post up to moderators and admin.  You can put a reason why you are reporting it of you want too and ONLY mod/admin see it.  Some people do occasionally use it and action is ALWAYS taken immediately where it is agreed that something needs editing or removing.  Note... I occasionally DO edit posts without reports being made just so you don't think I sit here ignoring everything.

Easiest solution though is for people themselves to start to take responsibility for their OWN posts and NOT to post things like that in the first place.  Everyone knows the rules so maybe a reminder needs issuing. 

So is it agreed now that from now on I WILL JUST DELETE OR EDIT ANY POSTS THAT I THINK ARE A PERSONAL ATTACK ON SOMEONE ELSE and it's one of yours and it gets edited/goes don't moan on the forum about it just send me a PM and it can be discussed in private so as not to bore everyone to death.  And if I miss any or maybe don't think they are offensive but you do... USE THE REPORT POST BUTTON !!

As for keeping topic on track ..... well if that ever happens I'll eat my keyboard :lol: