What's in a name?

observer

Here are a few figures to digest.

The war in Syria has displaced an estimated 9 million people.  Some have fled to neighbouring countries and others to relatively safer parts of Syria.  Over 3 million have fled to Jordan,Iraq,Turkey and Lebanon.  Lebanon now has a quarter of its entire population made up of displaced Syrians. The entire EU has only granted asylum to 150,000  mostly in Germany and Sweden although even a poor country like Bulgaria has had to care for over 6000.  The city of Istanbul has 330,000 Syrian refugees.  There is a great deal being done within the neighbouring states but they can only cope with so much. In total only 4% of the refugees have been offered refuge in the EU.

How many of the 9 million souls have the UK offered refuge to?  Hold on to your hats as this number is staggering.  As of july 2014 when these figures were produced, our country had offered places to 24.  A couple of dozen, makes me so proud.

Right on Baz ! The EU is now asking the Turkish authorities how they missed these migrant ships leaving their ports.

Perhaps the Turkish Authorities were busy caring for the 1.6 million displaced Syrians it has within its borders and hadn't the time to be checking the cargo of all the ships.  Just a thought like.

You obviously need to cling on to that notion, I don't. Illegals applying for asylum aren't even allowed "to work" and are paid in vouchers; so won't be paying any tax at all; they will however be consumers of taxation via public services; so I hope we can put them to one side. Then of course we have the myth, that all EU migrants are in well paid jobs, paying top rates of tax; no doubt true in the case of professionals, but alas not for the guy handwashing your car. Then of course, there's the black market, which by it's very nature won't provide revenue for the exchequer, and constitute a part of the population that aren't on anyone's radar, including HMG.

It isn't illegal to apply for asylum, over 5000 have now done so from Syria,  not many as that is from the beginning of the war.  sound a lot but when you consider that 100,000 have applied for asylum to Germany and Sweden perhaps you concede that as far as Syrians go we aren't the land of milk and honey that you claim.

Eu immigrants, as I have shown you , contribute greatly to our economy.  You can still hate immigration from the EU, thats your right but you can't say they cost the country.  

Did I say it was "illegal" to apply for asylum?  Applying for asylum is the first move after illegal entry, helped by HR lawyers paid for out of tax-payer funded legal aid. Unfortunately, the time taken by the civil service can mean years of waiting, for a decision.; years that are funded by the tax-payer.   Think we've bottomed the "contribute to the economy" line, you think they do, most doubt they do. And that's the dilemma for the politicians; cos even if you are right; the public perception is one of being swamped by a surge of immigration, placing additional burdens on our public services; and rightly or wrongly, perceptions = votes.

Immigrants are part of the lifeblood of our public services.  Syrians  are applying and being accepted for asylum and then flying to Germany and Sweden and here too but in very limited numbers..  I am not discussing votes but people and what is right and wrong.  Then again I'm not a politician, failed or otherwise.

Is this thread still in Jokes and Quizzes?

Yes... I was going to move but as there was more of the same going on on the other sections I decided to leave it here, out of the way, so it would just disappear with time. 

Then you blummin' went and posted on it  :lol:  :lol: 

1x   Joke. :lol:

4x   Topical replies to the joke.

33x Off topic and infantile squabbling replies that have nothing to do with the joke.

4x   Replies regarding the off topic squabbling replies.

All this in a section supposed to be for jokes and quizzes.

In my opinion this is what has driven members away resulting in this forum going down faster than the Titanic!.

PS. I do like your 'Tap on the door' joke Wolfe. :lol: