I'm Livid

I just read this item on todays news......

The number of vulnerable people receiving meals on wheels from English councils has more than halved in the last five years, Labour research shows.

The analysis, based on Freedom of Information requests, shows 109,000 people had meals delivered to them in 2014/15, down from 296,000 in 2009/10.

Labour estimates the drop equates to some 220,000 fewer people receiving the service nationally during that time.

The local government minister blamed cost-cutting decisions by councils.

But the Local Government Association (LGA) warned adult social care was in "crisis" due to a shortage in funding.

_80044145_80044144.jpg

That in itself is bad enough,

But then the govt still ringfences foreign aid,

Even to India who have a flippin Space Programme and Nuclear strike force.

This to me is a case of"The lunatics have taken over the asylum"

• Upvote 1

I think UK aid to India is being phased out and should be gone by 2015.  It doesn't matter what your pet hates are regarding how money is spent , be it defence or aid or benefits etc.  the fact is that Local Councils are cutting meals on wheels to pensioners which is wrong.  No doubt there will be the usual response from a Government minister blaming councils and Councils blaming Government funding cuts.  All the time our most vulnerable elderly go hungry.  The thing that makes me "livid" is when decisions to do things like this are described as "making savings", you are not making savings you are cutting vital services.

• Upvote 2

Governments will always cut funding to local Councils, as the blame for cuts will rest with local Councils rather than Government.  Think we need to take a long hard look at the so-called austerity programme, as it appears the cuts now owe more to Tory ideology, than to balancing the books; and we're far from being "all in it together"; the poorest and most vulnerable are bearing the burden.

If India doesn't want our aid, stop it now, Cameron told after country labels donations as 'peanuts'

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER 

David Cameron was under intense pressure last night to slash the £1billion in aid Britain gives to India after the country said it no longer wanted the money.

India's finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said the booming country should 'voluntarily' give up the money it receives from Britain.

He told the Indian parliament: 'We do not require the aid. It is a peanut in our total development spending.'

Governments will always cut funding to local Councils, as the blame for cuts will rest with local Councils rather than Government.  Think we need to take a long hard look at the so-called austerity programme, as it appears the cuts now owe more to Tory ideology, than to balancing the books; and we're far from being "all in it together"; the poorest and most vulnerable are bearing the burden.

I agree

If India doesn't want our aid, stop it now, Cameron told after country labels donations as 'peanuts'

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER 

David Cameron was under intense pressure last night to slash the £1billion in aid Britain gives to India after the country said it no longer wanted the money.

India's finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said the booming country should 'voluntarily' give up the money it receives from Britain.

He told the Indian parliament: 'We do not require the aid. It is a peanut in our total development spending.'

Like I said, financial aid to India is being withdrawn by the latest this year.  Daily Heil strikes again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

Unfortunately the system, like our domestic benefits system, sponsors a dependency culture, rather than a self help one. Foreign aid funding tends to be included in national budgets, rather than targeted by the donor to the specific areas of need; so we don't control it's specific use. This allows for corruption to misspend funds on stock piling Swiss bank accounts or the reciprocal objective of buying weapons from us, thus keeping folk employed at Wharton. There's also the problem (I think it was identified in Pakistan?), where the wealthy are paying little or no tax, so internal redistribution isn't happening. Then there's the question, assuming these countries could get a kick start to production for export, of EU tariffs on importing their goods. Also the problem of religious extremism, which prevents many youngsters (mainly girls), from receiving the education necessary to economic progress. So a lot to sort out, if we're not going to continue to pour money down a drain.

best just capitulate then and let the extremists do as they wish.  You will find that Malala was shot for embracing education

and not being too scared to take the chance, you do realise that she was on her way to school and that she is female?