Warrington as an independent city?

Gary

Unless we are to be included in an economic plan for either Liverpool or Manchester or indeed Chester it seems we are likely to become sidelined as just another dormitory town serving the larger region. We seem to be out on a limb at present regarding plans for the north west.

Just what exactly do folk mean by "independent";  border guards etc? !     Dog's and breakfasts spring to mind.  If the English want any sort of parity with 5million Scots, we need to start thinking in terms of the 7million living in the N/West - hence Regional Gov; just like Germany or Australia. Devolution is about a rational structure for the UK, with powers located at the lowest optimum tier; not an irrational power grab by all comers.

Just because I don't approve of WBC and - as I've often said - would like nothing better than for Lymm, Stockton Heath, Appleton, etc. to rejoin the rest of the Cheshire villages under a Cheshire local authority, does that mean I don't have a right to express an opinion on matters which affect the borough I live in?

Just because I don't approve of WBC and - as I've often said - would like nothing better than for Lymm, Stockton Heath, Appleton, etc. to rejoin the rest of the Cheshire villages under a Cheshire local authority, does that mean I don't have a right to express an opinion on matters which affect the borough I live in?

My Mother lives in Helsby,  if you think things will be different under Chester or Chester you are sadly mistaken, Is it just snobbery with being put ii with an old Lancashire town, As Ive heard the rhetoric before from people of that side of town, and it does mostly come down to snobbery! :wink:

It would probably only be acceptable to the electorate if none of the existing incompetent bunch of idiots we have running the town were allowed to be part of the new administration, and if the new administration had bugger all to do with political parties and was run for the good of the people instead of at the moment, where it is run for the good of the party in power 

This'll be the same bunch of idiots that didn't even realise that two of their spin-off companies had a £150 a day coke-head senior staff member who had robbed them of a total of £30,000 - until a more junior staff member queried a single payment!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2892347/Council-leisure-services-boss-stole-nearly-30-000-taxpayer-cash-recreation-150-day-cocaine-habit.html

Not just for the benefit of the party in power Baz but to undermine and damage the opposition.  It is shocking really in this day and age that local decisions are made on a party political basis.  I agree that it would be far better if it was stopped.

This'll be the same bunch of idiots that didn't even realise that two of their spin-off companies had a £150 a day coke-head senior staff member who had robbed them of a total of £30,000 - until a more junior staff member queried a single payment!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2892347/Council-leisure-services-boss-stole-nearly-30-000-taxpayer-cash-recreation-150-day-cocaine-habit.html

Can't really blame the Council for that, much as I would like to.  The fraudster wasn't employed by the Council but by Live Wire and Culture Warrington.  Thankfully the money stolen is covered by insurance so the financial impact will be negligible.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/19988/1/Finance-director-stole-30k-to-feed-cocaine-habit/Page1.html

I just had a whimsical vision of the great and the good shoving £150 of powdered self esteem up their conks before making some of their more airy decisions, it would explain a lot.

Only joking!

Can't really blame the Council for that, much as I would like to.  

Three current councillors (all Labour) sit on the boards of Live Wire and Culture Warrington, with one of them on the boards of both. The other board members include the usual sprinkling of public sector nobodies.

Take a look at the composition of the boards of all of WBC's spin-offs - GGHT, Network Warrington, Culture Warrington, Live Wire, and the rest - and you'll see the same familiar names cropping up again and again. As obvious a case of cronyism as you're ever likely to see.

The fraudster wasn't employed by the Council but by Live Wire and Culture Warrington.  Thankfully the money stolen is covered by insurance so the financial impact will be negligible.

Oh well, that's alright then!!!

.....until they see what the premium for renewal will be.

And there's something pretty smelly about the whole thing too.

"Stockham was recently promoted to his senior role - which gave him access to funds and the responsibility of making strategic management decisions – after being taken on by the groups when they were founded in 2012.

He was set to receive a severance package after working his last day, on what would have been November 18, but was instead immediately suspended, without pay, just a few days prior after colleagues discovered missing funds.

It was only when a fellow colleague asked a worker to double check one of Stockham's payments that his actions come to light."

Recently promoted to Finance Director and then severence package??? Aren't severance packages usually paid to get someone to leave quietly when a board discovers their misdeeds but doesn't want them to become public?

There's no statement on either organisations website explaining what has really gone on.

Can't blame the board either, as an employer you have to have an element of trust and thieves, well the good ones, tend to hide that part of their characters rather well.  If this bloke had no previous crimes to his name he would have appeared a respectable employee and person.  He was always going to get caught as it seems to be a desperate and stupid attempt to defraud money, paying it directly into his own bank account.  I don't really see the employers as culprits but victims the same as the rest of the town.  What party the Councillors represent has no bearing either after all there are many more Labour than Tory Councillors in Warrington, and long may that continue :wink:  in fact there are 14 times as many so obviously they will be in these positions.  I don't agree with it but thats not going to change, certainly not because of your little rants on here.  This was a desperate act by a thief to feed a drug habit, not some great political cover up as you seem to crave.

We most certainly should expect the board of an organisation to notice when they're missing £30,000! That's why most company boards contain people with financial experience and qualifications.

And why was he being given a severance package - by the board, since they would have had to sign off on such an arrangement - until a more junior colleague discovered the thefts?

As been pointed out here lots of times it is the public who put the politicians into office.

however back on to topic, how would an independent Warrington work, surely we can not have every smallish town in the country doing things its own why

Back off topic.

You always forget Latchford Inky or are they not posh enough?

You can have an opinion but your plan just does not make sense Inky. It might have been true that in the past, Warrington, Stockton Heath and so on where in different authorities but they are not anymore and splitting up the town just because some people think of themselves as superior to these that live else where is illogical

Let use consider that your plan came into effect, I guess you would exclude towns like Crew and Ellesmere Port, how would you organize fire and police services also health care, you would need to build hospitals. How would you pay for them - you wouldn't be allowed into North Warrington to use our services LOL.

What would you do about the less desirable areas of say Chester and even Lymm?

Lymm is, and always has been, a Cheshire village. I don't personally know about Stockton Heath, Appleton, Grappenhall, Thellwall and Latchford, but Lymm used to have it's own Urban District Council and managed perfectly well. When it came under Cheshire County Council things were also fine. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Lymm would be any worse off under either Cheshire East of Cheshire West - of course, the loss of the cash-cow areas would mean that Warrington would go bust within a year but that's not Lymm's problem.

Fire and police services are still run on a county basis (Cheshire Constabulary and Cheshire Fire Service), and hospital and health services are nothing to do with WBC anyway.