Living in the 3rd world...

Davy51

Thankfully we will never really be on a par with genuine 3rd world countries ,but our society is certainly in a sorry state where certain sections are surviving on food hand outs....all this from a country that once had the largest empire in the world & is still finding foreign aid while its own citizens are struggling.

I'm a great believer in the law of supply and demand, commerce succeeds on it. The question on food banks is which came first the supply or the demand?

PJ

The vision of stumbling over the bodies of starving children in Tesco's car parkis farcical in the extreme!

I'm a great believer in the law of supply and demand, commerce succeeds on it. The question on food banks is which came first the supply or the demand?

PJ

The vision of stumbling over the bodies of starving children in Tesco's car parkis farcical in the extreme!

True,but that is because thankfully not everybody thinks like you.

At least up to about 150 years ago many breadliners in Britain finished up with a free trip to Australia. Maybe a reduction in foreign aid would be a boost to our domestic economy & show us who our real friends are around the world ,after all anybody who sees money in the offing will have a welcoming smile.

Throughout history, there has been poverty; in all economic systems to-date; wealth gravitates to fewer and fewer people, leaving a residue of bottom feeders at the bottom. The introduction of a welfare state in the UK, in 1945, began to counter this natural gravitation, through higher taxation of the richest and redistribution through universal services like the NHS.  This brought the wealth gap to it's narrowest point in our history (still 10% owning over 70% of the wealth though); this all ended in 1979, and a reverse process has occurred since. So we can all enjoy a return to the quaint notion of a Dickensian Xmas, with the Bob Scratchet family shivering in their hovel, hoping for some crumbs off the rich man's table.

for someone who advocates using local shops and the market over the evil Supermarkets, you do seem to pick up a lot of your silly little anecdotes whilst visiting these places :wink:  Its a shame on our legal system, that a man hungry enough to steal a bit of food and eat it on the spot knowing he will be caught, will  get a tougher treatment than any of the City fatcat fraudsters who cost this country many billions.

I think it is also a damning indictment of the big supermarkets who have now found ways to cut prices on realising that those two upstarts Aldi & Lidl are the new kids on the block.

Maybe the bloke eating off the shelves was also hoping for a warm bed for the night.....we don't know.

The S/market's in Town same as the "the market", so what's your gripe? What's "silly" about an observation of something that really happened, which either indicates the state of the nation or that the guy was just a thieving little scum bag; I actually meant it to illustrate the former, before you dove in.

You ranted on here about using the small shops and not the supermarkets and if your little anecdotes have any basis in truth you seem to spend a lot of time in supermarkets. I suppose the ASDA/ALDI/LIDL stores situated within the town centre all have different shareholders and policies than all the rest?. Good for the country that we don't have to try this man just let you judge him .

I remember many years ago when i used to deliver to the best known of the High Street stores & one particular store in Manchester had a policy of redistributing short dated stock to the local nursing/retirement homes & hospitals within the area. Whether that was the policy throughout the company & whether it still happens i don't know.

Not just any old High Street store.

By coincidence, just been to the S/market, the cops were arresting a young male. Seems he'd allegedly been eating directly off the shelves. The give away was a pile of food wrappers strewn around the floor. Can't deport him to Australia though - they've closed the doors !

If the young lad did that because he had no money, was perhaps homeless and had no other other way of getting some food that's really sad and I hope he gets some help :(

• Upvote 2

I hope so too Dizzy, you see, we know far too little of this man and his circumstances to judge him,  and certainly not enough to condemn him as a thieving scumbag.  Thieving scumbags, in my opinion, are those who take and take even when they have plenty.

• Upvote 2