Free Park and Ride Warrington ???

Dizzy

The point about the free park and ride not being run any more is that it has not been funded by WBC.

And it has not been funded because WBC is deliberately running parking services in the borough at an artificial deficit by lumping in the costs of free employee parking, free council owned local car parks in certain areas, and loss making residents parking schemes into the budget for public parking provision.

Are you suggesting they've conflated loss making functions with paid car parks deliberately so they can get around the fact they're not allowed to use parking as a revenue generator?

I agree that Council employees should pay for their  parking, nurses do after all. Also the Council should look at parity of charging across the boroughs car parks rather than some subsidising other areas parking.

I agree but we know it won't happen. Personally I just wish they'd separate it all out. As it stands, it just looks like they want to subsidise employee car parks, free parking in Labour wards and on-street parking by extracting more from residents in the areas they deem of low priority for the local Labour Party. 

I didn't ask for rises just parity, town centre parking for example is far more expensive than Lymm and Stockton Heath and has no free first hour.

The council owned car parks along Orford Lane and other places are completely free.

Residents on street parking permits cost less than 25p per day.

Parity would be good!

I agree but the shopping areas would be a good place to start.  How much do you and others near you pay to park outside their houses?  25p per day is going to fetch in a lot of money if it were extended throughout the borough but we both know that would be wrong wouldn't it? Better to scrap the charge altogether but make all the shopping areas equally priced ie.  town centre, Lymm Pepper Street,  The Forge and while we are at it lets stop extorting money from families visiting Walton Gardens.

How much do you and others near you pay to park outside their houses? 

No-one round here has the EXCLUSIVE right to park outside their house, anyone can (and does) park anywhere they can within the law. Not so in the case of residents permit parking streets where residents get given exclusive use of space on PUBLIC streets for buttons.

The important thing would surely be to raise a comparable level of 'surplus' from every part of the parking function. At the moment all of the surpluses are generated in Stockton Heath, the Town Centre and Lymm and they are also being targeted to generate more to make up this final £108,000. So they need to balance it out with income from all wards. This should be easy - increase on street parking charges for residents across Warrington and then increase charges in the council owned car parks in Orford, Culcheth and Latchford and up the presence of traffic wardens in those wards especially for people visiting any nearby medical centres. For the same reasons council employees should be charged more to park and subject to immediate fines for parking in incorrect spaces etc. 

That would create a level playing field we could all get behind and I can't see any reason why the person who's done more than anybody to create the current inequitable situation - Linda Dirir - to do more to create a more balanced equation. 

The important thing would surely be to raise a comparable level of 'surplus' from every part of the parking function. At the moment all of the surpluses are generated in Stockton Heath, the Town Centre and Lymm and they are also being targeted to generate more to make up this final £108,000. So they need to balance it out with income from all wards. This should be easy - increase on street parking charges for residents across Warrington and then increase charges in the council owned car parks in Orford, Culcheth and Latchford and up the presence of traffic wardens in those wards especially for people visiting any nearby medical centres. For the same reasons council employees should be charged more to park and subject to immediate fines for parking in incorrect spaces etc. 

That would create a level playing field we could all get behind and I can't see any reason why the person who's done more than anybody to create the current inequitable situation - Linda Dirir - to do more to create a more balanced equation. 

Do you really suggest implementing this charge to the whole of the Borough or just to a select portion? All or none would be the only equitable method.

Do you really suggest implementing this charge to the whole of the Borough or just to a select portion? All or none would be the only equitable method.

No. I'm just being facetious. We know the council will carry on in their own merry way with decisions taken for political and career reasons rather than what's best for the most people in Warrington. I agree with you it should be all or none but that's not what we have and they're not really interested in what anybody here thinks. Steve Parish strikes me as a good guy but even he has fallen for the claptrap surrounding this issue. I have absolutely no time for Linda Dirir and others of her ilk who can't or won't make decisions based on facts or need. They just make sure whatever they do fits with an ideology - which is why it's pointless introducing facts to them. This is also why they'll continue to choke the life out of the town centre, do the same in Stockton Heath and Lymm and attempt to extract as much money as possible from some people and not others based on whether they think they belong to groups labelled 'Them' or 'Us'.    

I am.

But if they're going to exist then they should at least be run at break even point - not subsidised from charges levied on people who are prohibited from using them.

Or WBC could just issue everyone resident in the borough a residents parking permit along with their council tax bill and extend the zones out to the borough boundaries - including all the council car parks.

Its not affording 25p a day its affording a further £90 a year and I know it may be peanuts to you but believe it or not a lot of people are struggling, and your idea of upping the council tax to cover it daft as if every person in the town has a parking pass what the hell would be the point.  You would just be inventing a layer of bureaucracy and placing an unnecessary administration cost on the town and its people.

I never suggested increasing the council tax to cover this.

The 25p a day IS the £90 a year annual charge! (which WBC claim to make a substantial loss on currently)

Sending out parking permits with the council tax bills would cost NOTHING, save WBC the losses it's currently making, and would actually REMOVE a whole layer of bureaucracy.

Simple and self-funding - with the possibility of actually generating revenue by selling permits to non-residents for use during the day when the vast majority of residents are out at work.

generating revenue by selling permits to non-residents for use during the day when the vast majority of residents are out at work.

maybe we could have reciprocal agreement with all non residents that work in warrington and  the people from warrington who travel to their area to work can use their parking place whilst they are at work. would solve some of tehparking surely? :twisted: