Free Park and Ride Warrington ???

Dizzy

How many cars (on their way to work), do you see with more than one person in?  Not sure if a bus can carry 50, but whatever the number, that'll be the number of car drivers, hence cars. As for road space, it's simply run out; even if they take all the stupid white hatching out, open the bus lanes etc; you'll still have congestion - alas, just too many cars.

How many cars (on their way to work), do you see with more than one person in? 

More than half of them. Lots of people car share these days. Parents doing the school run quite often have 2 or 3 kids in the car with them. How many buses do you see in a day with hardly anyone one them?

Not sure if a bus can carry 50

A single decker can carry between 39 and 46 passengers - so even IF it's full (which maybe happens on two runs per day!) it's only carrying as many people as 25 or 30 cars. In the interval between buses, even on a busy bus route with a bus every 5 minutes, the road space taken up by the bus lane could accomodate FAR more cars than that!

, but whatever the number, that'll be the number of car drivers, hence cars.

No it won't. Because many cars are carrying more than one person, many more people need to travel to work by car anyway because they have to carry stuff or go out on appointments throughout the day, and the vast majority of buses throughout the day run with only a small fraction of their seats occupied and so are not contributing anywhere near the numbers you quote for car reduction.

As for road space, it's simply run out; even if they take all the stupid white hatching out, open the bus lanes etc; you'll still have congestion - alas, just too many cars.

Wrong again. Liverpool have tried it, and found that's not the case. Removing all bus lanes except a few in the city centre has REDUCED congestion.

Removal of bus lanes will only ever be a temporary fix. It is inevitable that eventually these lanes will be full of cars. Wherever a new road has been opened, within a year or two it is full. All that has happened in Liverpool is that bus journeys now take longer, and there is no significant reduction in congestion.

Sorry Ink, I've not noticed many full cars on my travels, must try a different route.;  and the school run will definitely involve only one driver after dropping off the kids, unless of course, there's a baby on board; but even that could be going to a crèche..   Of course the buses are running half empty, cos most of us are in our cars., hence more cars = more congestion. As for bus lanes and white hatching, which reduces road space, removal will only provide a tempory relief if any, as Wolfie says. Cars a convenient and comfortable, especially in Towns designed specifically for them and venues are dispersed.

BUT -   Congestion is simply due to more and more cars using a finite space, and the bad news is, it will get worse as more cars take to the road.  

You came up with this one, last time it was discussed; and I told you then, I'll take my chances along with everyone else. If we get a Government intent on solving congestion, which prices us off the road and onto buses, I'll be caught along with the rest. However, this is highly unlikely, as such a policy would be political suicide. Therefore, congestion will continue, and get gradually worse, until the day we can't get beyond the end of our street. Congestion isn't new; they had it in ancient Rome; where carts etc were restricted to night time deliveries. In London and other cities, in the 19thC with horse and carts; it's all happened before; too many vehicles in a finite space.

Traffic congestion occurs in every City in the world, indeed it's so bad in Beijing that the exhaust pollution is now an extreme danger to public health; it's fairly simple - too many vehicles in a finite space. Now there may be short term relief in the form of things like double-decker road systems, underground roads etc, assuming folk want to see their Towns and Cities developed in such a way, and whether it could be afforded of course, in this age of austerity. In the longer term, whether science will produce a vehicle revolution, driverless cars, airborne cars, all centrally controlled by computer systems etc. But even with all that; your still left with the intractable problem of numbers V space.

But Warrington is NOT a major city!

It's a relatively small town which is extremely well served by the motorway network and the only real traffic bottlenecks occur at the bridges, or because the lack of bridges has forced a radial pattern on the main routes meaning that virtually EVERYTHING has to go through the town centre whether it wants to be there or not.

If we were to get the two new road bridges which are being promised to the east of the town centre, and then remove or bypass the toll at Warburton and provide an additional high level bridge and route from Thellwall to Woolston, then all the traffic problems around the town centre would disappear.

Same point applies to Towns and even villages: I recall Thassos in Greece, a relatively small village; which was virtually choked to a standstill when the ferry disgorged it's cars and trucks - numbers v space. Warrington has an outer ring road in effect (at least three-quarters of one!), with the M56-M6 -M62; but on many occasions traffic will be nose to tail on them all. Not all traffic crosses the River either; East - West movements north of the River are all congested, certainly at peak times and the term peak time seems to be getting wider.

No, what's happening, is that you're ilk have lost the argument with the general public; who in desperation, are looking to UKIP as the only answer.  Farage is therefore the lighting rod for all the personal attacks left to the luvvies; whether his comment was tongue in cheek we don't know; but this is the level of opposition left, as for example, the Labour Party has told it's MPs not to raise immigration as an issue; well no wonder, they opened the gates. Perhaps we can now get back to the original topic?

which was park and ride in warrington or lack thereof.

I only go into town these days for a short visit. usually know what shops I need to visit and so park accordingly. if i know taht i only need to go say to the bank and two other shops to get what i need then I will use the short stay carpark at cockhedge as i can normally get round where i need to in under an hour so it costs me £1.00.

if i need to be in town longer then I use the market carpark. up to three hours wandering around warrington for a £1.00. (most I have ever spent in town in the last two years is an hour and a half and that was at a domino match at the connie club)

if I go on my bike then the parking is free as I can park under central station, by the pound shop in bridge street or near the bus station in that gap near the fountain or even on cockhedge car park itself if I dodge round the barriers.

The point about the free park and ride not being run any more is that it has not been funded by WBC.

And it has not been funded because WBC is deliberately running parking services in the borough at an artificial deficit by lumping in the costs of free employee parking, free council owned local car parks in certain areas, and loss making residents parking schemes into the budget for public parking provision.

Why couldn't Network Warrington have funded a few busses themselves ?  Even if they had just run every hour or so from the Park and Ride pickup points it would have been welcomed by a lot of people.

Infact even if they had charged to use them I'd have paid as the main reason I wont go into town xmas shopping on the normal bus service is that's it's a right pain to then have to walk home from the bus stop with all the shopping especially if it's raining.  Maybe they could consider that next year rather than having none at all.