Ivory Tower politics ?

observer

Surely proof, if proof were needed, the Msssss Thornberry tweet of the white van and the English flags; followed by Ed Milliband's disclaimer and pathetic pronouncements about respect; have served to underline the disconnect between the politics of the Westminster Metropolitan elite and the rest of us.  Like some Patrician Class of old, they enter politics as a career, never having lived in the real world; then proceed to tell the Plebs (who they clearly have contempt for), what's best for them. No surprise then, that the Plebs are finally beginning to reject them.

It's beyond me why politicians, who should have some modicum of intelligence, insist on giving the chattering classes and their opponents such juicy ammunition by posting on social media sites at all. A massive own goal just waiting to be scored. Mind you in this case I've no idea why she felt it serious enough to resign over, there are more pressing problems facing the world than pandering to the "looking for ways to be offended".

She was right though; the guy who owned the white van and the flags did look like a bit of a knuckle dragging chav.....

and even more so when the Sun newspaper got involved and had him on Thornberrys front door step in Islington brandishing a big cross of St George flag with "The Sun" emblazoned across the middle!!

The whole "white van man" business arises from the fact that manufacturers find it cost effective to spray all their vans the same colour - and white is considered the most appropriate, given that many purchasers will want to have their business names painted on (although many don't).

The "Lady" MP may well have been brought up on a council estate, but there is no snob worse than a working class snob. Although I always say the only person who hasn't got a bit of snobbery in them is someone who hasn't got anything to be snobbish about.

Anyway, Margaret Thatcher was brought up over a grocer's shop and I don't recall any of her detractors using this to excuse what they saw as some her excesses.

Someone has already suggested that people in public life who use social media are idiots and I agree with that.  I would go further and see ANYONE who uses social media is an idiot.  Unless you want to call this forum social media, that is! :lol:

Now seems that Andrew Mitchell did call the Police plebs, while David Mellor called a taxi driver stupid ( I've left out the f words under orders from Diz) In the meantime Dave Whelan is charged by the FA of bringing the game into disrepute for using the word 'chink'. Add to that the increase in immigration, and apart from the flag flying white van man it's been quite a bad week for the Tories. In the meantime seems like Nadine Dorries is using her staffing allowance to employ her 2 daughters, one as office manager on £45k and the other as Senior Secretary on £35k. The something for nothing culture lives on.