Cafe culture ?

observer

Thought I had just answered one but in several stages. Glad to see you have such a meaningful input in the debate puce man

Is this an allowable debate on this dead end forum then? Perhaps you could let the rest of us know.

The first time you said 'roll model' I assumed it was a typo. Obviously not.

You only need four more posts now, so you can do that without anybody else contributing by continuing to answer your own posts. Why not do them on this subject: when you say Egbert is being 'pompous and judgemental', are you being ironic or are you projecting? I'd guess the latter but why not spend a few posts telling us what you think. 

This place is a dead end if you are trying to get the council to do or change anything, you know that don't you? No point pleading with the only councillor daft enough to give this place the time of day, he won't be back if he has any sense, why would he?

1. Post counts? No, it just amuses me to watch a gobshite who's spent ten times longer on here than me coming out with the stuff you have.  

2. I know different. I also know that they don't like it when the blowhards on this forum take action in the real world too.

Definitely projection, by the way, so there's a good chance you haven't recognised it in yourself. Have you had it pointed out to you before or would you say your online persona is very different to the real you?

I don't see any big issue with this as the kind of people that just want to get drunk are far more likely to go to a pub that offers cheap booze rather than an overpriced bottle of beer. If the national trend is towards a more European cafe culture type society then why should a local council be expected to try and stand in it's way? 

Bill :)

PJ

There's plenty of money about. Just go to the out-of-town retail parks and you'll find them packed. Also the big garden centres which have developed into far more than garden centres. They are also packed.  It's all down to free parking for as long as you want.  The town centre suffers in two respects. Lack of free parking (where you can stay as long as you need) and a lack of decent shops. Then there is the third problem - there are so many bars which attract the drunken yobs (of all ages) that decent people stay away.

Now, if that is pompous and judgemental I am sorry - but it is also true

As to whether there were more pubs in the town centre in the 1950s than now, I would guess that there were. But I didn't live here then so I don't really know.

• Upvote 1

Well a cafe on the street wouldn't entice me there... unless you want to take me PJ so I can gaze into your eyes like you mentioned to Obs and you could give me a lift too so I wouldn't have to pay the stupid amount it costs to get from Stockton Heath to town now or pay to park  :lol:   So that's that sorted then and I was so excited I forgot all about punctuation in my sentence  :P 8)

Well a cafe on the street wouldn't entice me there... unless you want to take me PJ so I can gaze into your eyes like you mentioned to Obs and you could give me a lift too so I wouldn't have to pay the stupid amount it costs to get from Stockton Heath to town now or pay to park  :lol:   So that's that sorted then and I was so excited I forgot all about punctuation in my sentence  :P 8)

Dizzy,if we ever get a licenced cafe I would love to take you there, I will even put in my best going out glass eye for the occasion.  I can pick you upon the crossbar of my pushbike,lets do it in style.  

With some luck smoking in public places may have been banned by then too so it won't stink either :wink:

Actually Diz, I passed through S/Heath today; and am quite impressed by mix and activity of the various venues; some are pubs and some are cafes. Perhaps folk south of the canal are more sophisticated?!  :lol:

Not sure about 'sophisticated' Obs... try coming through at weekend or at night during the summer months it's interesting to say the least :lol: 

Dizzy,if we ever get a licenced cafe I would love to take you there, I will even put in my best going out glass eye for the occasion.  I can pick you upon the crossbar of my pushbike,lets do it in style.  

With some luck smoking in public places may have been banned by then too so it won't stink either :wink:

Oooh a glass eye now how can I resist that.... if you've got some spares we could play marbles too.   Not sure about the crossbar though as I'd have my back to you, I'd prefer a seater if that's ok so I can keep my (non glass) eyes on what you're upto  :P   :lol:

:lol: :lol: shows what sort of a mind you have PJ and I am shocked :P

I was going to start another topic asking you/others about about F-stops, focal length, flashes and exposure but I probably better hadn't now. I think I'll just put it away and use my old automatic one again :lol:

No, a continental style cafe culture would not deter people from visiting the town centre.  But the proposal is to allow drinking WITHOUT a meal with it. At present, you have to buy food to get the drink.  I fear if you remove the meal you could attract the hard drinkers - particularly during warm weather. They WOULD deter other people from visiting the town centre.

i don't agree, the hard drinkers are already there and cheap pubs cater for them. They aren't going to pay restaurant prices for a beer or a wine so this proposal will not attract more of them in. Perhaps you should have opposed the converting of the old Odeon building into another Wetherspoons if you are concerned about where drinkers will be attracted to.