Ebola ?

observer

Sky News have just posted a guide on how to avoid catching Ebola in the UK.

"Do not touch bats and non human primates or their blood or fluids, and do not eat raw meat prepared from these animals."

Just remind me, is this Britain in the 21st century?

Damn! does that mean next years test series is cancelled.

• Upvote 1

In areas of Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found dead or ill in the rainforest. I presume that the people in these areas are so poor that they have been using these infected animal carcasses as a source for food. 

A typical example of corruption by these third world countries that receive billions in aid that never reaches these poor beggars, instead its being used by corrupt dictators to live in the lap of luxury, purchasing their private jets and riding around in luxury cars. :angry:

In areas of Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found dead or ill in the rainforest. I presume that the people in these areas are so poor that they have been using these infected animal carcasses as a source for food. 

A typical example of corruption by these third world countries that receive billions in aid that never reaches these poor beggars, instead its being used by corrupt dictators to live in the lap of luxury, purchasing their private jets and riding around in luxury cars. :angry:

Quite, Algy.

I heard aid described as 'the poor people in rich countries giving money to the rich people in poor countries', it sounds about right.

• Upvote 1

We are sending ground forces into West Africa to combat the deadly virus, 'Ebola', and we are sending humanitarian aid to combat the terrorist organisation, 'ISIS'.

How we ever won two world wars I'll never know.

Still Ebola is now in Europe which is more than Man Utd can say.  :cry: 

• Upvote 1

Think we're actually sending soldiers to Iraq and Jordan, to train the local anti-IS forces; to ensure the kit we give them will be used effectively; and not left to ISIS when they run from a fight; as the Iraqi Army did. The aid to W/Africa will probably mainly consist of medics and support staff.

Nigeria is a relatively rich country.

I've just been watching a report from Liberia on Sky. The people trying to help are up against a culture of people unwilling to let their dead relatives' bodies be taken away and cremated, they want to stick with their old ways of dealing with the dead, but this just helps it to spread. People are in denial there.

Nigeria also has a long established polio vacination programme, so perhaps the fact that they have this  in place already helps them to spot and promptly eradicate ebola outbreaks.

I think the time for " they should have done this or that" are long gone. We need to fight this at source and if possible find a vaccine to eradicate it altogether,  a tough ask as GSK etc. cant justify the cost of developing it as its for poor countries and no profit will be made.  Perhaps if it spreads to the West it may be worth their while.   Education of how to deal with this horrid epidemic is also a priority,not all that easy though given the state the countries are in and the cultural practices which are helping to spread ebola.  At least the richer countries in the world are now taking note and some action,probably triggered by fear of it coming to their own soil rather than any purely humanitarian purposes.

• Upvote 1

News tonight said even if the poor souls over there don't die from ebola they may starve to death as farmers are abandoning their farms and leaving crops unattended to die through fear of catching the disease from workers who they usually employ.  

Bloody awful situation and there doesn't seem any way at all of eradicating it there to stop many thousands more from dying. The only hope they seem to have is that they can contain it and stop it spreading to other countries :(

I heard that too PJ :(  

This is a very selfish comment I know but I also saw the group of UK troops who were being interviewed as they set out to go there to help build hospitals and look after all the sick people and aid workers.  They were all smiling and eager to go and help in whatever way they can despite the risks but the little voice inside my head said 'well theres no way I would be going there you must mad' as I watched and listened to them all.

I feel very ashamed of myself for that.

• Upvote 1

If you actually read my posts. rather than projecting your interpretations onto them; you would discover that I'm opposed to "overseas aid" that is paid to foreign Governments, some who currently have space programmes; others who spend it on armaments or divert it to Swiss Banks; with the UK having no audit tracking on such investment.  My post refered to direct investment in building health and education infrastructures, if the respective Governments would allow it.

Im sick and tired of seeing Liberians Walking on the moon . How much does Britain actually give to Sierra Leone and Liberia? And how much of that is spent on their space programmes and armaments procurement?  provide a few facts and I will take your utterances seriouslly.  You wouldn't be simply making unfounded accusations again would you?  This ebola crisis is far bigger than your usual bigotry and don't forget , this time your carcass may end upon the line.

There you go again, with a ridiculous and inane distortion of my post:  India has a "space programme" for starters, until recently we we're even giving aid to China (biggest Army in the world!). As for other African nations, I've listened to "hardtalk" interviews with African Finance Ministers where they object to being told how and where they spend aid money; but it seems quite reasonable imo to suggest that we should ensure that our money goes to improvements we deem are required; EG: health and education; to provide the skills and resources to tackle these outbreaks, immediately they occur. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for the WHO, who have arguably been slow to react and world politicians to ensure adequate funding for them to tackle these situations quickly.

• Upvote 2