Voting Age

Egbert

I am afraid the fact that most teenagers are immature means that the few who are not must suffer. That's life.

It's a bit like people who are exceptionally tall.  The world is made for people under 6ft - which means that someone who is, say 6ft 3 inches is always banging their head getting in or out of cars, or even houses.

Visit any club or bar in the small hours and you will find them packed with young people - many of them well into their 20s - acting like idiots. Drinking too much, taking drugs, smoking.  A good proportion of them going on to have unprotected sex.

Are these the people you want to give the vote to?

Visit any club or bar in the small hours and you will find them packed with young people - many of them well into their 20s - acting like idiots. Drinking too much, taking drugs, smoking.  A good proportion of them going on to have unprotected sex.

Are these the people you want to give the vote to?

never happened in your day then Lucy.... or was it bible class and home before 7?

Lucy,

I have to say that is a ridiculously swathing comment; tarring all young people with the same brush

Just because they are young shouldn't exclude them from making decisions that will affect their futures. You could argue the same about stopping people voting at 65 because they are retired and no longer contributing to society or people on benefits from voting because they take rather than contribute. Why should an old man be allowed to vote if he is losing his marbles? why should an old woman be allowed to vote when she lives in a care home and may not be here next year to see the party she voted for in power?

I have a nephew who is quite possibly the most balanced and sensible person I have ever met; more so than many people twice his age.... he has had his career mapped out since he was 13 and worked towards all the qualifications he needed for his chosen profession and has now been accepted into that profession

Maybe we shouldn't allow Labour supporters the vote because they always mess things up, maybe tory supporters because they are all posh..... or maybe UKIP supporters because it annoys Kije? :)

Well said Baz

• Upvote 1

Most 16 and 17 year olds were immature in my day - and they still are today. The point is, no-one suggested giving them the vote "in my day"  but today it is being suggested.

Believe me, because I suspect none of you are old enough to remember, they are even more immature today.

On the point about being old enough to fight for your country, I agree.  !7-year-olds should not be expected to do it...nor 18 year olds.

But two wrongs do not make a right.

Incidentally, it is a well known fact that most older people won't go into Warrington town centre of an evening now because of the unruly behaviour of the youth of today.  That situation certainly did not exist in my day!

Wow Lucy,

It has been said that the old get stuck in their ways and less tolerent, are you afraid that the young will take away from the voting power of the old. as political parties know the old will vote and so try not to annoy them, an example of this is the Tories not cutting services and money for the old to the same extent they have for the young.

The British crime survey started in 1981, this is the survey where governments get their figures, Car crime has gone up and down, their is not much difference in violent crime, People fear crime more as it appears on TV and other media more, So the only thing holding you back is your own fear.

"Visit any club or bar in the small hours and you will find them packed with young people - many of them well into their 20s - acting like idiots. Drinking too much, taking drugs, smoking.  A good proportion of them going on to have unprotected sex!".

Lucy how often do you visit these dens of iniquity in the wee small hours of the morning to obtain these facts?. :D:wink: