Goodbye tax disc -

observer

Seems the paper road tax disc will be extinct in October, and from what I've read, future payment will either be on-line or at the Post Office; so can't do it on the phone anymore?   Apparently (according to this article), the authorities can now check any vehicle from it's number plate, with their state of the art computer data base, and claim avoidance will be cut. BUT, it then goes on to say, that if someone steals a similar car and then steals your number plates, the computer can be fooled.

BUT, it then goes on to say, that if someone steals a similar car and then steals your number plates, the computer can be fooled.

Really now there is a surprise. Seems James Bonds revolving number plates could be making a comeback.

Warrington hospital are using number plate recognition for issuing parking tickets from the machines. You now have to put in your registration before it will issue a ticket and that is checked b y the machine. nothing stopping you from putting somebody elses in though as long as their car is on the car park and does not alreadt have a ticket issued to it. Bit of a bugger though if you have early onset dementia and can't even remember where you parked the car let alone the number plate.

About payment does it say if you can get your car taxed at paypoint outlets?

We've just re-taxed 2 of our cars and it said once the new rules (ie no tax disc) aome in we can remove ours from our cars and rip them up.  Well I'm not going to as I paid good money for those little round pieces of paper so they are staying there until they expires :lol:  3rd one expires end of October so that wont get one.

One thing I don't agree with though is that once the new rules come in car tax is NOT transferable if you buy/sell a car.  Why not as it always has been in the past !!

It says once the the seller sends in the sale/change of ownership documents they will get and automatic refund of whatever is left on their car tax.  The buyer on the other hand has to tax the vehicle on the day they buy it to be road legal but that can't be done on-line it has to be done at a post office.  Never buy a used car in the evening or on a Sunday then cos you wont be able to tax it... although I guess it would still be taxed in the other persons name cos they wouldn't have sent the docs off  

That means there will be a period of time where both the sellers and buyers car tax money for the same car are in the tax peoples bank account and surely it means wore work for them....

it is a rip off... if yo sell your car say 10 days after you taxed it for a year, you will get 11 months tax back. If I buy it, I have to pay for a full 12 months and it starts at the beginning of the month I bought the car; so in effect the car tax has been paid twice

Lots of anger against this move from all sorts of car types.... it means that a car sales place without a trade plate cannot offer test drives as their insurance won't cover an untaxed vehicle, classic car owners (who don't pay road tax) will still have to tax their cars and have a current MOT, however there are plans afoot to abolish MOT tests for cars built before 1960.... it is pure madness!!

We changed our car the other day, the tax disc arrived as a coloured photo copy with a covering document explaining the abolishing of the tax disc and stating that the photo copy disc should be cut out and displayed as it was valid and the police and DVLA would recognise it, they also explained that they had used all the original tear out discs and are now issuing photo copy plain paper to eliminate wastage, its not long ago that you would have been prosecuted for displaying a photo copied discon your windscreen. I assume that detection for not having road tax will fall entirely upon the police using the ANPR system.

We changed our car the other day, the tax disc arrived as a coloured photo copy with a covering document explaining the abolishing of the tax disc and stating that the photo copy disc should be cut out and displayed as it was valid and the police and DVLA would recognise it, they also explained that they had used all the original tear out discs and are now issuing photo copy plain paper to eliminate wastage, its not long ago that you would have been prosecuted for displaying a photo copied discon your windscreen. I assume that detection for not having road tax will fall entirely upon the police using the ANPR system.

should have used a Guinness label or an original 1970's one like I have in my Corsair!!

Can you take out motor insurance if a vehicle is not taxed ?

How will DVLA know if you were to drive around in an untaxed motor ?  More Big Brother surveillance ?

A lapsed MOT invalidates  motor insurance but does lapsed vehicle excise license?

Yes. you need to have insurance before they will issue you with a tax disc or photocopy thereof. once the tax discs are finally phased out you will still need to have insurance before they will register the vehicle as taxed.

The dvla do a monthly check on all registered vehicles and if there is no tax on them they will probably send you a letter to see why it is not taxed, sorn or scrapped.if there is no reply then they may send domebody down to check and clamp the vehicle until one of the three is sorted out and you will be subject to a fee for release and possibly a fine as well.

Do not think that your insurance would be invalid depending on how long your tax had been lapsed by. a day or two would probably not matter but as we all know insurance companies do not like paying money out and will seize any excuse not to do so.Especially now that you can get your tax online or by phone and the fact that they will no longer be issuing tax discs.

One thing that does strike me as odd though. You do not need to show your insurance to get a tax disc at present as it is on the database that you are insured but it seems you do have to show your MOT certificate even though they are supposedly on the database as well.