The Famous King and Queen

Walkerskid

Now I remember when it was just "The KIng n Queen" but has it ever been called anything else! I can't find any records of the place, but with the old stables in the back, it suggests it could have been a coaching house? Could it have changed its name after the visit of the king and queen in 1939, along with Kingsway, Kingsway Bridge and the old pub of that name, also King Georges crescent?

Hi and welcome to the forum Walkerskid :D

If it helps the old maps show the pub as being called the King & Queen as far back as 1905 / 07 so it definately didn't change its name because of any royal visit in 1939. 

Did you mean 1939 though or was that a mistype as King Edward visited Warrington in 1909 so that would make sense with the road being called King Edward Street too.

Ignore my theory of King Edward's visit in 1909 as I just found the King & Queen Inn on a much older map too at the very same spot.   Forum member Algy is often the best person when it comes to old pubs so maybe he will know more about it.

KingandQueenPub1849.jpg

Not sure if it was a coaching house but if you look on my second older map the pub stood on what was the main road at the time so it would make sense for it to have had stables for passers by and their horses etc. Unfortunately there aren't any other maps I can look at that shows it clearly between the dates of the two I uploaded.

The Saracens Head on Wilderspool Causeway has stables at the back too.

Coroners Inquests, Auction Sales and Grand Lodge meetings were held at the King and Queen Inn, Padgate Lane in the early to mid 1800's too ..... so another reason to have stables for all the attendees etc.

Saying that the building that's there now certainly doesn't look that old so I still think there was probably another King & Queen inn/pub on the same spot prior to the one that is there now.  Maybe the new pub building was built just before Kings Edwards visit and the new King Edward Street that was built. 

Does the landlady know when the current one was built ?

• 2 weeks later...