WBC Consultation - Town centre night-time economy

Dizzy

WBC are running a consultation  although when I click the link to see what sort of things it was asking it seems you have to log in/register to do it for some reason.  
They don't usually do that or maybe they have just blocked me after the amount I put on the Tip Closure/Recycling one :oops::lol:

Might be of interest to some of you though

QUOTED from their survey page :

The council is looking to gather evidence to determine whether the number, type and density of pubs and bars, within the town centre, are causing any issues for local residents.
Following consultation we will be able to determine whether there is a need to adopt a special policy relating to this issue.
We are compiling information ourselves, but we are especially interested in your views, as we look to work with the venues that we currently have and to regenerate the town centre as a place that people can live, work and enjoy.

Complete our survey online before we close the consultation on 17 Aug 2014.

Your comments are important to us and will help enable us to shape the future of our town centre.

The front page of the survey says "This consultation is for town centre residents only, who have been given an exclusive code to log in to the online survey"

So they obviously don't want the views of the hundreds, or possibly thousands, of Warrington residents who rely on the night time economy of the town centre for their livelihoods. Or of the many thousands of Warrington residents who come in to town at the evening to visit the many restaurants and bars.

Can you imagine if they held a consulation about the future of daytime retail in the town centre but specifically excluded staff and customers?

It's some years since I had sight of the electoral list for the town centre, it's Whitecross and Bewsey if memory serves, but I remember that I was struck by how few people actually live in the area.

Are WBC trying to get a mandate for their war on those pesky 'vertical drinkers' by manipulating a few score people I wonder?

Surely not...

Ahh I hadn't noticed the bit where it said it was for town centre residents only silly me. 

But I agree with what Inky says and surely if as they say it is also being to do with the regeneration of the town centre in a way so it becomes "a place that people can live, work and enjoy"..... then why are we all excluded ?

Weird but then again I don't know what questions they are asking on the consultation so it might not be relevant to normal people anyway.

You would expect a vibrant evening & night time town centre economy to be fuelled by outskirts & out of town revellers ecologically brought into the metropolis by an equally vibrant & efficient public transport system , so these people should be top of the list on consultation documents.

I tried the link to the survey page and you need to know what survey you are going to take. It states please enter the ID of the survey you wish to take. so i guess it is just a geberic gateway with links to whatever surveys they have runing at the moment.

If you click on the link to log into the application it takes you to a  login page where there is another link for you to sign up as a new user. What is beyond that I do not know yet as i am deciding which of my email addresses to use for the login details. just a precaution as i don't want to get swamped with election spam.

Main page about it is here

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/info/200352/consultation/1765/town_centre_night-time_economy_consultation

I think maybe you have to register to get the survey number.......no idea sorry :wacko:

By the way WBC will soon be running another consultation survey to ask member of the public on their opinions on consultation surveys, the findings of which will be available on the 7th Tuesday of the month following the start of the end of the consultation period plus the addition of a set period of time that statistically meets the set criteria for the analysis of such findings by x number of people  :lol:  

• Upvote 1

Let us know what questions it asks when you manage. 

I've never know a WBC consultation survey that people have had to register/log into before so it's intriguing me (ok I'm just down right nosey) :lol:

It thanks you for logging in and then asks you for the survey ID!

I can't imagine anyone who is actually eligable to complete the survey would go to all this trouble.

Only 18 days to go until it ends.....  :lol:

...afterthought, maybe people who are allowed to fill it in have received a posted letter and that contains the actual survey ID.

I logged a query but then read the text - looks like if you are a town centre resident you will have received a code to use otherwise they would get Dizzy logging in and that just wouldn't be right :mrgreen:

It must just be aimed at townies and not country hicks like me and Dizzy  :lol:

I'll let you know what the reply is.

• Upvote 1

I logged a query but then read the text - looks like if you are a town centre resident you will have received a code to use otherwise they would get Dizzy logging in and that just wouldn't be right :mrgreen:

It must just be aimed at townies and not country hicks like me and Dizzy  :lol:

I'll let you know what the reply is.

I think we have already established that Geoff but thanks anyway :lol:

As for me being a country hick well I rather like that and it sounds quite fun and posh but in reality I'm not as it's only 5 minutes by car (with no traffic) and about 1.4 miles from my house to Warrington town centre.

I wouldn't have filled the consultation in though if it had said it was only for people living right in the town centre although do many people actually live there anyway?

Maybe the people who do live there though do so because they like the night time economy and all the bars/clubs right on their doorsteps so are they the right people to be asking ?

Perhaps everyone else should be asked too so that the council know why most of us DON'T actually go there even though it is not far from us if their ultimate goal is to "regenerate the town centre as a place that people can live, work and ENJOY:wink: 

town centre does indeed come under whitecross and bewsey wards. so as a resident of the whitecross and bewsey ward when do i get my code to do the survey?

I can walk to Bridge street in 6 or 7 mins...

So I don't qualify ???  :roll: ???

Some survey !

Oh and no reply to my email either.

Wonder how much this shambles is costing us as council tax payers ?

Maybe you landed in their email spam folder if you are not a chosen one :lol:  

Ring them up instead..........

Warrington Borough Council is committed to improving the way we consult and engage with our communities. 

This lies at the heart of what we do in being able to deliver the high quality services that people want and expect.
Effective community consultation enables the council to better understand its clients and customers whilst encouraging the most efficient use of public resources and enables evidence-based decision making.

The terms consultation, involvement and engagement are often misunderstood or used interchangeably. All are about listening to the views of local people in order to shape services, develop policy or take action.
Consultation is the process of asking for and listening to the views of local people or groups with the aim of influencing decisions, policies or actions.
Involvement is a process in which people actively participate, and during which the council exchanges information with them and seeks their views.
Engagement involves an on-going mutually beneficial two-way partnership between the council and stakeholders. Decision-making may be shared between the parties.

Good morning,

I have investigated the issue, the website advises:

This consultation is for town centre residents only, who have been given an exclusive code to log in to the online survey”

The residents that live within the town centre have been issued with the code that will allow them to access the survey.

Kind regards,

I have received this reply and as you worked out Dizzy it's for local residents. Yes there are a number of people who live there and it only seems fair to gather their views about where they live.

I have received this reply and as you worked out Dizzy it's for local residents. Yes there are a number of people who live there and it only seems fair to gather their views about where they live.

Before ignoring them? Or is that just South Warrington?

:twisted:

• Upvote 3

I don't disagree with that at all Geoff and yes of course it seems fair to ask the views of the people who actually live there.  So which streets/roads are they talking about then as I can only think of a few places in the town centre where people actually live and I don't think there are very many right near the bars are there ?  I must look next time I go for a wander.

I suppose the issue I have with their private consultation is that the council quite clearly stated it was so they could "look to work with the venues that we [the council/town centre?] currently have and to regenerate the town centre as a place that people can live, work and enjoy".  How can a few people's be part of any plans for regeneration ?

Anyway, I wont loose any sleep over it and here's hoping the ones who do live there don't like all the clubs and bars which are open until silly o'clock in the morning and all the drunken idiots that they produce.  We need a nice town centre where we can all go and enjoy ourselves with a wider range of facilities and without being surrounded by yobs, drunks, trouble and vomit :lol:

I'm looking forward to getting our private survey for round here too.... I presume we will get one will we :wink: