Peel holdings and wrecked gravestones

Sha

In the news this week. A  large pile of wrecked gravestones have been found on one of Peels development sites. A witness said they were from relatively recent burials - some dated 1960's. So which burial ground has been wrecked and what of the human remains? Is nothing sacred?

That's awful Sha and I hadn't heard about that. 

If there are names on the grave stones it should be very easy to find out which grave yards they have come from though by searching for the names of the people and their burials on church records or even council websites if they have online burial records like Warrington do. :(

I think long term repose for a loved one is now a thing of the past. I bought a cremation plot a few weeks ago & it only carries a 50 year lease . I suppose long term plans in this day & age are quite happy to re use burial plots asap.

Headstones are one thing, remains might still be in their original places. look at how the council here dealt with the "loose" headstones in our cemetary.

That they were found on peel holdings land means nothng really. Peel did not dump them there, well hopefully not, they could have been removed form a de-consecrated churh that has been earmarked for housing, unlikely but possible, any remains recovered would either be then cremated or put into a charnel house.

As for sacred, in these enlightened days there is little that can be reagarded as "sacred" but given the diversity of religeous beliefs in this country alone, almost anything could be regardred as such.

And finally with land at a premium, even in crematoriums where the plot is minimal, your final resting place will probably not be. (unless you are a zombie and then you can argue your own case to keep the plot you have)

I agree that Peels probably haven't dumped them there as they would be daft to do it on their own land where people could find them.  But someone has for whatever reason so they need to find out who, why and where from.

Surely if some of the grave stones are fairly new then they shouldn;t have been removed and wouldn't have been unstable anyway.  I didn't think things could be built on top of graves and consecrated ground anyway.

At least one of the grave stones is from the local area around there somewhere as I just searched for the 'Armstrong' family who's names are on one of the photo's.  They were all born and died in Barton (upon Irwell)