Soft touch Britain -

It doesn't stand up to common sense scrutiny I'm afraid - unless you believe the majority of immigrants are all in higher paid jobs above the tax threshold, which if you take the broad spectrum of menial jobs they tend to do (arguably cos the Brits won't have them); and you believe most are single without any dependents here or at home. Then of course, they are well represented in our prison population, so will be net consumers paying no tax at all; or are completely off the radar working in the black market.

It does stand up Obs, you might try reading it, as I said the report is about EU immigrants, so don't get yourself mixed up.most of the high end immigrants Obs will be sat in offices working and not sorting out home plumbing or washing your car, so you will not see them.

Oh, so we're down to just EU immigrants now? So are the rest irrelevant?  The latest report from an economic think tank (right wing of course, so you won't accept it); is that whilst immigration will increase GDP, it will be less per capita; and won't off set the strains placed on services by the population increase - a no brainer of course - it's already happening.

Simply not true in any case; the majority of "EU" immigrants are over-qualified for the jobs the end up doing, cos they can't get the professional jobs and have to revert to lower paid menial work - which still makes more than pay in their own country. Plus, with benefits and family support, life is generally a lot better than in their home country - hence the attraction. I have heard a number of anecdotal examples:- Waiter in the Hilton Hotel. Manchester - a qualified architect from Italy. Waitress in a café in Town (3 years ago now), a qualified nuclear physicist from the Czech Republic. But don't let the reality disturb your fantasies.

Apparently there is also an employment agency sourcing  workers from  Europe to the the tune of 780,000 jobs offered on the Euro focussed website to work in Britain with adverts posted by British companies while Britain has over 2 million people out of work. You would expect the government to step in in this case & iron out the anomaly.

• Upvote 1

As long as our education and training systems remain unfit for the purpose of producing the required skills sets for our economic needs and providing gainfull employment for our indigenous youth; we'll require the importation of people with those required skills sets.  However, inviting specific workers over on time limited visas; is a million miles away from every citizen of the EU having the right to enter the UK, with or without a job.

Perhaps Obs those companies looking abroad to hire are looking for a particular skill set. are you saying companies should be forced to employ a British worker even if he is not suitable? A simple yes or no will do

As someone who has had dealings with migrant workers, their skill sets are no different from any British citizen, unless you call their willingness to be used as wiping rags for minimum pay a skill set.

• Upvote 1

Well I have also had experience will with working with immigrants, the ones I work with are all skilled engineers and are well paid. Quite a few are working at nuclear power stations and some are in management and other senior positions, quit a lot of French, I must mix with a better class of immigrant Freeborn John. I do get my car washed by some Poles, and I have to say they do a good job. What job were you doing to mix with these people John?

"Car washed by Poles" Kije?  Thought you said they were all in high skill, high pay jobs - thus paying loads of tax? The reality is, that even a menial job over here pays more than a professional job in the likes of Bulgaria - hence the attraction; but they won't be paying much tax, if any; BUT will be consuming public services and benefits.

• Upvote 3

Well I have also had experience will with working with immigrants, the ones I work with are all skilled engineers and are well paid. Quite a few are working at nuclear power stations and some are in management and other senior positions, 

and when they take your job Kije.... you will only have yourself to blame..... because you couldn't possibly blame the foreigners could you??? :):(

• Upvote 1

Im not worried Baz, Ill be around for a while yet, you on the other hand, ahhhh, yes unskilled job, be afraid Baz :lol:

Unskilled??? are you having a laugh!! :) :smile:

You are the one who tells us that foreign types are in managerial positions within the industry you are in.... wait till they start preferring their engineers to the likes of you!

At least I have the option to chose who I work for and who I employ or don't employ as well as what hours I work; and have done for over 15 years...... now you on the other hand will be told where to go, what to do when you get there and how long you have to do the job and when you can take your holidays no doubt..... and maybe even told to do all those things by some foreign types!!!

Now me and my business partner on the other hand, we take holidays when we want to, have a few houses, a few cars as well as a couple of old classics too.... oh and I am a landlord in my spare time.... Unskilled   I'm certainly not.... but I'll wager I am safer and happier in my job than you will ever be Kije!!

• Upvote 1

Well I have also had experience will with working with immigrants, the ones I work with are all skilled engineers and are well paid. Quite a few are working at nuclear power stations and some are in management and other senior positions, quit a lot of French, I must mix with a better class of immigrant Freeborn John. I do get my car washed by some Poles, and I have to say they do a good job. What job were you doing to mix with these people John?

Manufacturing Kije, manufacturing.

Some of the so called engineers there weren't worth the holes out of NAS620-10L washers, name dropping your profession fails to impress.