Bye bye Mr Smiths .... demolition planned for August

Dizzy

With so many films being available to people via thier mobiles, ipads, extra large 3d smart TV's and the like it surprises me that there is a need for cinemas these days.

Not to mention the android boxes where you can watch all the latest films for free. (If MI5 are looking at this, it's only what I've been told, I certainly don't own one myself)

Funny thing wolfie that was what the man who has a mate who is touch with a man down the pub that might just know somebody who could point you in the general direction of a person who may know where there was one for a small fee, nudge nudge wink wink. said when we they asked him (er so i heard anyway, honest guv.) 8)

Seems there is now a 'Save Mr Smiths' facebook page and the person/people who created it are having talks with LPC (the owners) etc in the hope it can be saved from demolition and retained for other uses such as a theatre etc.

I can't see them being successful though but you never know.  I still think it's daft knocking down a large sound building without first knowing what you are likely to be able to build in it's place so they MUST have a reasonable idea already or why waste a building.  Yes I know I keep saying that.

Anyway here the link........

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Mr-Smiths/673956979363773

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds a good idea and excellent use of the building to me as there aren't many places youngsters can go these days :D   Whether the council will give £3 million to it though is another matter but I'm sure they will be able to get some funding from a higher up pot somewhere.

WBC seems to find these joint ventures attractive, and as a way to buy nice things for the town while not footing all of the bill they do have merit.

For instance, the railway station which was planned for Chapelford, which was to be mainly funded by developer/government money, would have been a prize catch.

I don't think that spending £3m of WBC money on a youth centre, just because it's a bargain, is in the same category though. 

• 3 months later...

I do wish they'd stop saying it's going to cost us 3 million, since they're going to borrow the money it's actually going to cost 6 million.

Perhaps if WBC stopped borrowing all that other money which they lend straight back out again to people outside the town, they could borrow money and spend it inside the town.

I'm confused...

It only says the council have 'agreed in principal' to the money so that to me doesn't mean it's been saved and is going to happen.  I could agree in principal to give any of you some money in a year or so but it wouldn't mean I'd actually do it when push came to shove.   Cynical me wonders if they have only said this to appease people because it's almost election time and a lot of people were up in arms about it being demolished.  Shame on me I know  :oops: 

What will be interesting to see is how they spin it if one of the housing associations they are lending tens of millions to in other towns goes pop. It strikes me this is pretty likely over a 25 year period. If they lent it to Golden Gates, they could at least point to some houses in Warrington. I don't think delivering a bill for several million quid to the people of Warrington and telling them it's built stuff in Chester and St Helens is going to look too good...

Knocking down Mr Smith's strike me as a good idea, but then again I never misspent hours there as a youth so don't have the nostalgic yearning to see it stand.