A post-anti biotic future?

Seems David Cameron has spotted an obvious concern, in raising the spectre of a post anti-biotic future, where even a slight infection could result in death.  It seems the private sector drug companies don't see a profit in anti-biotics, so shouldn't HMG set up a State drug research programme to counter drug resistant bugs?

Aren't there already people doing that sort of research in th UK Obs?

There was something in the paper recently about British scientists studying ants as they think they could hold the key to wiping out the resilient superbugs in the future.  I think the produce their own natural antibiotics somehow.  I wonder how long ants live for though...

There's always new anti-biotics coming from the drug companies so it's completely wrong to blame them for this.

The problem in this country is patients expecting anti-biotics for the slightest sniffle (even though they have no effect at all on viruses) and NHS GP's reaching for the prescription pad just to get rid of them. FAR too many people taking anti-biotics who don't need them means the bugs are becoming resistent faster than new ones can be developed.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how long ants live for though...

About two seconds if I find them in my kitchen. :mrgreen:

Aren't there already people doing that sort of research in th UK

There probably is but the more paranoid section would  more than likely say that they are engaged in germ warfare. (which in a way they are but not in the way they mean)

Over prescribing and casual usage, has no doubt undermined effectiveness, particularly in the third world, where they can be bought over the counter. Result, a resistant strain of TB from Russia and Malaria in S/E Asia.  With the loose security on immigrants and greater global mobility;  perfect storm is created. Unlike statins, anti-bios have a limited usage, thus don't necessarily turn a regular profit; thus the private sector's laxity.

• Upvote 1

There was something in the paper recently about British scientists studying ants as they think they could hold the key to wiping out the resilient superbugs in the future.  I think the produce their own natural antibiotics somehow.  I wonder how long ants live for though...

An ant's life span is normally only about 90 days. Harvester ants seem to live a little longer, usually 2 to 6 months