flat block near bewsey st

kez

Hi,

I remember a big block of flats round bewsey st, queen st sort of area, from the back of the flats looking at the building there was a pub or social club to the left and I think an office block to the right. There was a car park there aswell that had a little wall round it. Can anyone shed any light as to where this actually was please and any pics and any idea what the pub or social club was called? And if any of it still there? Also there was a deralict building just off bank park. Roughly where the premier inn is now. Any ideas what this was?

Thank you

kez

Welcome to the forum kez :)

I don't know that area too well and how Bewsey Street/Queens Street used to be years ago so I probably wont be much help.  I know Heathside schools and the fire station were on Queens Street but other than that I have no idea.

How long ago roughly are you talking about as my other half may remember something.

grew up in that area and still live pretty close but cannot remember any block of flats around there. mind you having difficuylty remembering last night at moment. (no not alcohol induced, mother worries).

will ask my sister later if she pops in and see if she can shed any light on it.( back of my wonders if it was the old infirmary wasn't that around there somewhere?)

Big building which had flats in. I only remember then from the back. There was a pub/social club to the left, and what I think was ofices to tge right, there was a car park and this had a small wall round it. I think they where the offices on bewsey st, does anyone know if they were flats in the 90s? And the end of the row if there was a pub/social club near to the arches?

I really think it was the last building on bewsey street near the arches but if they used to be flats in the 90s, and if there was a pub/social club next to it, I only remember it from the back so no idea what it would have been called. Any ideas?

There was the liberal club in bewsey street. building still there almost opposite what was the shirt works, which is now flats. just had a look on google maps and the liberal club is still there next to the church but that is at the other end away from the arches. Worth a look on street view to see if the building you are thinking of is still standing.

Thnx. Its the acrches end, not near the old shirt works, the pub/social club isnt there anymore but the building I think where flats is, and the offices next to it is. I looked on street view yesterday hence why I am certain it was here.

I really do believe that the flats were the building on bewsey street. And if st albans social club was next to it going onto foundry street as I believe then thats it. Any fotos of st albans social club please?