WBC to close Sandy Lane Tip, Stockton Heath - 1 August !!

Dizzy

Do you mean black bin, blue bin, green bin residential and/or the stuff that goes to the tips and is split between the various recyclable waste skips or non recyclable

and/or the trade waste that businesses put in their large bins that they pay a monthly fee for ?  Obviously anything 'recyclable' is not actually dumped though and is sold but I wasn't sure what you meant.

It varies and depends what I've been doing to be honest but say Ive not been having a junk out or picking up litter and things dumped around where I live then just for my stuff alone it's usually about every two weeks from this time of the year onwards but can sometimes be more than that. Like I said it all depends really.

How often do you go to one  ?

Land fill site Dizzy, you were talking about the land fill site in Great Sankey.

I hardly ever use the tip, once a year maybe. I save all the stuff up in  my garage and when I have a car full I then take it, and I do not pay for petrol! I admit the green bin gets full some weeks, but I  jump up and down in it until it has room again, or I leave stuff untill the next bin day.

Coffee, I have been amazed at how many people I've spoken to recently who visit the tip every week.  These are either larger families who say the fortnightly bin collections are not enough, or residents with decent-sized gardens who go every week during the summer.

The consultation referred to in the council papers was undertaken by the previous administration in 2008.  The conclusion of that consultation was that all of the recycling centres were valued and vital so the decision was taken to keep them all open.

Have you not got the cost and usage figures?

Land fill site Dizzy, you were talking about the land fill site in Great Sankey.

I hardly ever use the tip, once a year maybe. I save all the stuff up in  my garage and when I have a car full I then take it, and I do not pay for petrol! I admit the green bin gets full some weeks, but I  jump up and down in it until it has room again, or I leave stuff untill the next bin day.

I think I was talking about black/blue/green bin waste, business bins, the normal tips where traders also take their waste and Arpley Landfill Coffee  :lol:

I suppose if everyone had garages and space in them they could store their stuff for a year too and take in all in one trip like you do.  It makes sense to only have one I guess if you don't mind having a garage full of crap all year.  How come you get free petrol where you live ? :wink:

I don't think I'd be too worried about my green bin being full (if I had one) as that's only for garden greens anyway. 

Front page news today... The 'Call In' meeting is tonight and as many residents as possible are asked to attend (you can't speak though)

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18659/1/Tip-closure-plan-under-scrutiny/Page1.html

The on-line petition (not mentioned in the article and NOT started by the Lib Dems) with over 700 signatures and many comments by locals who use the tip facilities will be/has been handed over and will still remain open for more signatures if anyone hasn't already signed it.

Question though..... what happens at a 'Call In' meeting and can it actually result in a decision being overturned or does it result in just a quick slap on the wrist and a 'do things properly next time' telling off ?

Front page news today... The 'Call In' meeting is tonight and as many residents as possible are asked to attend (you can't speak though)

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18659/1/Tip-closure-plan-under-scrutiny/Page1.html

The on-line petition (not mentioned in the article and NOT started by the Lib Dems) with over 700 signatures and many comments by locals who use the tip facilities will be/has been handed over and will still remain open for more signatures if anyone hasn't already signed it.

Question though..... what happens at a 'Call In' meeting and can it actually result in a decision being overturned or does it result in just a quick slap on the wrist and a 'do things properly next time' telling off ?

Guess  :P

I'm sure lessons will be learned and systems looked at. 

As they always are, time after time after time....

Apparently the on-line petition and all the comments (as it currently stands) are being printed off this afternoon to be handed over tonight.   Over 700 signatures and comments so far and there's a push to get even more before it's printed.

So if you or your neighbours/friends etc are against the closure and haven't already signed DO IT NOW :)

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/warrington-borough-council-please-reverse-the-decision-to-close-sandy-lane-recycling-centre-in-stockton-heath

PS The petition will still remain OPEN FOR MORE SIGNATURES over the coming weeks presumably in case the decision is sent back to the exec board or something (can they do that?)

I've had a bit of an awakening, today.  I was actually under the impression that this problem had been resolved.

I can't remember where I read that.  I have signed the petition, which I had thought was a lame duck.

It may be a good idea to post the link on the front page of WW, Gary.  Others may be as unenlightened as I was until today x

Dizzy said Question though..... what happens at a 'Call In' meeting and can it actually result in a decision being overturned or does it result in just a quick slap on the wrist and a 'do things properly next time' telling off ?

The Scrutiny Committee must make one of three decisions tonight: to uphold the decision to close the site, to refer the decision back to the executive board or to refer the decision to the council (which apparently rarely happens)  The scrutiny committee has no power to overturn a decision made by the exec board.  Obviously we want the decision referred back and a full consultation process to be initiated.

fingers crossed

• Upvote 1

The scrutiny committee agreed to refer the decision back to the executive board on 4 of the 6 counts put forward, including lack of consultation and lack of openness.  The exec board can decide to ignore the request to review the decision.  Obviously we hope the exec will agree to put the matter out for public consultation.  The Town Hall was packed!

Are they likely to just ignore the request Ann given how many people are opposed to their decision.   Surely they can't just ignore it unless they are so stubborn and self believing that they think what they do and say is right and so will just stand by their decision anyway ?

Also, if the contract with the new management company  (FCC Environmental) has now been signed etc can that actually be changed?

Will a public consulatation just be another box ticking exercise in the end ?  I sincerely hope NOT !!

Unfortunatley despite all the complaining I've done about the tip closure I was unable to go to the meeting last night.  I'm rather annoyed that I couldn't go to show my support and to hear what was said by all parties !

Will the full minutes be available to view on the councils website ?

The scrutiny committee agreed to refer the decision back to the executive board on 4 of the 6 counts put forward, including lack of consultation and lack of openness.  The exec board can decide to ignore the request to review the decision.  Obviously we hope the exec will agree to put the matter out for public consultation.  The Town Hall was packed!

So they are shutting it then.

wonder if this is a ploy to generate more money given that they are going to be cracking down on litter etc

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18664/1/Keep-your-street-tidy---or-risk-a-fine/Page1.html

(getting very cynical just lately when it comes to the council.)

The joined up thinking we have come to expect. The council goes to fortnightly bin collections, stops emptying litter bins and dog poo bins across the Borough, closes a well-used local waste and recycling centre and restricts hours in the other two so people who work can't actually get to them to use them except by driving across an increasingly gridlocked town at the weekend, then announces it wants people to keep the town clean and tidy by using the bins it won't empty and the recycling centres it is closing, While cycling and using public transport rather than their cars. 

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

• Upvote 3

The minutes should appear on WBC website. There was no 'Part 2' i.e closed to the public, so the minutes should record everything that was agreed.  As I understood it from the meeting, a final contract with the only remaining tenderer has not yet been signed because the staff issues with tupe have yet to be agreed. The meeting was told that the council has earmarked the waste management services for over £800000 worth of cuts.  Closing Sandy Lane will only save £450000 (and that's before taking into consideration the costs of additional 'bring bank' facilities etc) so on that basis it would be inevitable that another site would also close later (which someone on here had already picked up from the letter from the Lab ward councillor)  We have suggested staggered opening days or hours and the parish councils want to be consulted so they can discuss if they could help in any way.  The item is on the agenda for Stockton Heath Parish Council next Tuesday.

Its interesting that the crackdown on fly tipping has just been announced.  One of the committee members, having been told by one of us (the people who called the decision in) that residents were very concerned about an increase in fly tipping, asked did we really believe that the residents of SOUTH Warrington would fly tip.  Obviously we are considered to be far too respectable to engage in such dastardly behaviour!

Having stood in for another councillor at the scrutiny committee, I'd rather not get into argument about the detail - but bottom line is that the cuts are now biting. We can consult all we like but if the result of consultation is "Don't save money by withdrawing this service" (or any other) then that's unrealistic. It will also obviously cost money to delay the new contract (say £9k a week). I didn't give much credence to the idea of keeping all three centres but staggering the opening days - it's hard enough keeping tabs on whether this week is blue bin or black bin. And I did resist reacting to the Lib Dem councillor who wanted residents to have two green bins - I could have pointed out that in my ward (Bewsey and Whitecross) most residents don't generate much green waste from their terrace house backyards.

We would like to reply to the selfish people who made remarks that we, who live overlooking the tip, should not have bought there in the first place. Well, we bought back in 1999 and were told by our solicitors that we must not worry about the tip next door as it was going to move to somewhere in the Stretton area and that the developer had an option to purchase and build Brindley Court Phase two on the site with a walk-way in between. Unfortunately for us due to objections to it being moved and our developer losing out, we have had to put up with the noise of bins being dropped, vehicles moving through, wagons reversing with their reverse alarms making an almighty racket and the dust created as the workmen who use a blower to clear the mess left on site. We have had some councillors meet with us in the past to resolve the difficulties we experience. Unfortunately we were left disappointed at the unfavourable result. Now we at last have heard the good news of the closure due to financial implications of keeping it open, only to be confronted with a petition of 700+ selfish people who probably only use the tip a maximum one a time a month (if that many times). We all now have recycling and should be seeking ways to maximise that option rather than wasting our council tax on keeping this tip open. Just remember selfish ones that you probably use this facility a maximum of 12 times a year but we have to put up with it 362 days a year and 363 on a leap year. I thank you for your compassion fellow rate payers in OUR community. Dessy

Steve

At least you're honest in saying you're not interested in what local people think. Many of us realised it a long time ago. But you are interested in the opinions of the only contractor considered for this contract - a contractor that we already know does not stick to contracts. 

But the big problem is that not only are you now withdrawing basic services, you are targeting people for fines for what happens as a result. It's the same mindset that you displayed with the Forge parking - make people's lives more difficult then target them to generate income.

Not only that, you are doing it all in secret for political reasons, withholding information and decisions until the local elections were out of the way - because you are interested in our opinions at the ballot box if nowhere else - and targeting certain parts of town ahead of others, again for political reasons.

And all the time you're doing this, you keep telling us about how successful Warrington is in terms of attracting businesses and employment while wasting your time on futile schemes. Make your mind up. Is it a successful town, or is it the sort of town that cannot clear up after itself for the sake of a few hundreds of thousands of pounds? But can afford to stick a 20 mph sign up in a ten metre long cul de sac.

Here's a money saving idea for you - if the council keeps withdrawing services and facilities, there is far less for it to manage, so we won't need anywhere near so many councillors and high earning staff. You can leave the front line guys who do the actual work, but don't let the door hit your backside on the way out.   

• Upvote 2

We would like to reply to the selfish people who made remarks that we, who live overlooking the tip, should not have bought there in the first place. Well, we bought back in 1999 and were told by our solicitors that we must not worry about the tip next door as it was going to move to somewhere in the Stretton area and that the developer had an option to purchase and build Brindley Court Phase two on the site with a walk-way in between. Unfortunately for us due to objections to it being moved and our developer losing out, we have had to put up with the noise of bins being dropped, vehicles moving through, wagons reversing with their reverse alarms making an almighty racket and the dust created as the workmen who use a blower to clear the mess left on site. We have had some councillors meet with us in the past to resolve the difficulties we experience. Unfortunately we were left disappointed at the unfavourable result. Now we at last have heard the good news of the closure due to financial implications of keeping it open, only to be confronted with a petition of 700+ selfish people who probably only use the tip a maximum one a time a month (if that many times). We all now have recycling and should be seeking ways to maximise that option rather than wasting our council tax on keeping this tip open. Just remember selfish ones that you probably use this facility a maximum of 12 times a year but we have to put up with it 362 days a year and 363 on a leap year. I thank you for your compassion fellow rate payers in OUR community. Dessy

You could edit that down to one word. 'NIMBY'

• Downvote 1

dessy,

As a resident of south warrington myself, whitecross area although my hoiuse is actually about half a mile north of what is considered town centre, I can sympathise with your plight regards noise pollution. I live within thirty second walk of the hospital. We have ambulances screaming down the road at all hours of the day and night sirens blaring, ditto police ontheir way to bewsey to deal with incidents there, also south warrington by the way. As my road is on a direct route from the callands estate to the hospital we also have to put with unruly people walking to and from the hospital at all hours especially on friday and saturday nights when they have had a few drinks and had to visit A&E for a quick sober up and treatment of various fall related injuries. I am also on teh flight path for liverpool airport so we get quite a few jets going over making some noise as well, even at 2500 feet.

There are always problems wherever you live and just think of the increased traffic and noise from rowdy neighbours should the development of a housing estate replace the tip not to mention the increased noise from the bin wagons once a week collecting all the extra rubbish generated by this. the noise from teh kids congregating in the walkway with their mates and talking at the top of their voices to te person two foot away. No need to mention the noise and disruption during the building stage either.

So if the tip does close what will happen to the recycled waste that now goes there. Some concientious people will make the effort to take it elsewhere  if there is an elsewhere for them to take it. But there will be some who will just chuck it out into the street and hope that teh council will at soem time spend axtra money to come and shift it.

currently in the back entry to my street there are three mattresses, two sofas and an assortment of broken prams,shelves and something that i have no idea about. they have been here for a few weeks and no doubt will be collected at some stage by the council.

Hi Evil Sid,

Thanks for your comments about other noises. We have those as well but that is not the subject matter. It happens to be the saving of costs in closing THIS recycling centre. There are syill two other venues to do your dumping albeit a little further to travel

An imaginary conversation with the council.

WBC: We are short of funds so need to go to fortnightly bin collections.

Resident: I fill the bin every week though,

WBC: You'll have to take excess waste to the tip.

R: I don't like it but OK.

WBC: We're closing the tip. You can take waste to one of the others.

R: But I use it every week because you went to fortnightly bin collections.

WBC: We don't care what you think.

WBC: We're coming after you because there's rubbish everywhere.

R: bash-head.gif

Unfortunately Dessy, this council has and always will be full of empty promises and cover-ups..... they say they are facing cuts, but don't mention all of the extra council tax they receive from all of the new housing estates that are popping up all over the place....

Keeping the decisions to shut Stockton Heath tip a secret until after the local elections just about sums up the trustworthiness of the elected representatives we are lumbered with in this town and the utter contempt that they show to the voters for the 3.999 years that they are not snivelling for your votes