WBC to close Sandy Lane Tip, Stockton Heath - 1 August !!

Dizzy

Is anyone (workers or others) currently monitoring how many people/cars are using Stockton Heath tip daily and at what times.   Those figures could come in handy for consultation input purposes.

Only if the council is interested. This has all the hallmarks of a done deal with the council humouring people with a consultation. 

Interesting read in the paper copy of the Warrington Guardian that has just come through my letter box.  It says more than their on-line report about the consultation the other day.  There isn't an online link to it so I've had to type it out the main new bits(sorry WG)

Here are David Keane's comments in the article

Clr David Keane, executive board member for environment and public protection, said : "With the many telephone calls, text messages,emails and healthy conversations with residents we will be moving to a period of consultation on changes which are just beginning to be understood".........it then talks about peoples outrage, the call in and the petition...... But Clr Keane told the executive board the changes had to be brought in due to a demand to save money due to Government cuts.
He asses the scheme would also see the introduction of more unmanned recycling parks across the town to help boost recycling figures.
"We do need to differently, part of the consultation will talk about how er can achieve higher recycling rates", he said.  "Increasing targets mean we cannot continue to recycle the way we currently recycle".

It's all very well and good saying that people need to recycle more and of course we do but surely most of out normal day to day recyclable stuff like paper, tins, bottles etc etc goes in our blue bins anyway.

I use the tip for NON recyclable stuff that wont fit in my black bin so that will still have to go to the tip anyway.  I also take larger items of recyclable waste that either cant be put in the blue bins (wood, metal etc etc) or things that are allowed in but just wont fit. 

Surely if they are thinking about putting skips in various places they will meed one for metal, one for wood, one for cardboard, one for garden waste etc etc otherwise everything will just get muddled up and of course some people will just put non recyclable waste and dog poo bags in too.  So WHO is going to sort it all out ?

To me the whole idea of unmanned skips in various places is just making something that's normally very easy and simple (ie people popping to the local manned tip tip) a whole lot of trouble, work and a nightmare for the council to administer and control.  Surely they must have considered the extra work it will involve !!!

Not to worry, from now on we will just burn any wood etc and of course we can always just leave anything metal out in the backs got the gypsy scrap ment to take whenever they are passing.  They tend to come round most weeks so it wont be there for too long.

and Council Leader Terry O'Neill added

The big news this week is that Bury is going to three weekly collections so they can reach their recycling target.  We don't want to do that.  We need to push on with it as the more we recycle the less we sent to landfil.  We have to listed to our residents so we will be consulting not only on a specific item but also our overall recycling.  It's important to put more recycling in local areas

I really don't care what they are doing in Bury so why bring that up.  I wonder why he didn't also mention that Halton Council up the road still do weekly collections, maybe he doesn't know and he doesn't read this forum either after all :wink:

I read his comments as a bit of a subliminal threat ie... well if we don't do this and reach the targets you all get your bins emptied every 3 weeks.

anyone want to hazard a guess what questions will be on the consultation paper and how they could confuse or be used to mean anything...... cynical old me

1) do you recycle - yes
2) how often - every day
3) where do you recycle - in my blue bin or charity shops   (after thought - being silly I might not count my trips to the tip as actually recycling)
4) Do you think Warrington needs more recycling facilities - Yes  (after thought - but being silly again maybe that actually meant skips rather than more actual tips)
5) any others.......
6) Are you bored... Yes

Yet again, why don't the council compare themselves to Stockport where they've saved £12 million by making it easier rather than harder to recycle?

The answer seems to be that WBC doesn't have the intelligence or imagination to look beyond cutting costs and front line services, rather than improving income streams from proven profitable sources such as recycled materials.

The total tonnage handled by each of the three centres is in the scrutiny committee papers.  The reason for closing Sandy Lane (first) is not because it is underused, but due to the fact that it can't have floodlights to allow later opening, it doesn't take rubble etc and it is in a residential area.  Then the council proposes to close Woolston at 4pm during the week, so the lack of floodlights at Sandy Lane is a red herring.  Its clear the plan is to close both Sandy Lane and Woolston, and if that happens heaven help the residents on Old Liverpool Road and Sankey Bridges and anyone trying to cross Bridgefoot on a weekend.  

I hope the consultation is geared towards enabling residents to suggest ways to improve recycling and reduce overall costs because I have spoken to so many people who have really thought about the problem and want to put forward their ideas.  (Hopefully one of the Labour councillors who reads this forum will pass that on!)

Perhaps we could really help the council save money on recycling and all get garden incinerators. That way they can close all the recycling centres and almost halve the waste going to landfill, ash does not take up as much space and as a bonus if the weather turns really cold in winter you have a way of keeping warm and the ashes can be used to grit the roads and pavements thus saving the council more money by doing away with the gritting wagons.

ok so the first muggy day and there will be a thick smog around warrington like the old days but hey the council will be saving money. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The total tonnage handled by each of the three centres is in the scrutiny committee papers.  The reason for closing Sandy Lane (first) is not because it is underused, but due to the fact that it can't have floodlights to allow later opening, it doesn't take rubble etc and it is in a residential area.  Then the council proposes to close Woolston at 4pm during the week, so the lack of floodlights at Sandy Lane is a red herring. 

I can't see why it matters that there are no floodlights at Stockton Heath.  For a large chunk of the year it's always open from 8am to 8pm and that is really handyl especially when the weather is hot and we can all take our stinky black bin rubbish or excess waste so it doesn't just sit out in the sun attracting flies and vermin.  A lot of people probably spend more time doing odd jobs about the house or in the garden when the nights are lighter too so being open until 8pm is good for them too.

Closing any local tip at 4pm is absolutely ridiculous as most people work way past that time, anyway I've said it all before so I wont repeat myself.

Is he a member, if not he should join in with the chat rather than just reading :wink:

I'm speculating that a number of councillors read the forum - not any one in particular:)  

Not sure about Evil's incinerators idea!  We are already hearing suggestions, for example to promote more composting, shredding of branches, private collection of green waste for elderly and disabled people etc.  The question will be, of course, who should fund these innovations.  

We have our monthly street surgery at The Forge on Saturday and I'm sure residents will be coming up with more ideas.

The public consultation will start next Monday, 28 July.  The council has refused to extend it to 6 weeks to enable parish councils and more people to contribute, so it will only be for 4 weeks.  No details were available at Council last night, so we have no idea what form the consultation will take.  I will post the details as soon as they are available (though dizzy might beat me to it!)

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I wont Ann as I seem to be on a go slow at the moment :lol:

Thanks for the update and great timing with schools closing and people going off on their hols etc too.  Better than one they ran over xmas one year though  :roll:  :wink:

Can we not get the scrutiny commitee to call in the exec's decision not to fully implement the findings of the scrutiny commitee?

Haha!  Now that would be a game of ping pong.  The scrutiny committee can only offer advice.  On this occasion the exec board chose to accept only part of the advice.  

Hi Dizzy,

It was once said of us at Brindley Court that it was a case of "NIMBY" when we stated our case. It seems that in respect of your black bag/s that might attract flies and vermin at your home you prefer to dump them at ours. Is this a case of "NIMBY" or are we just missing a point. As we have said before if Sandy Lane has to stay open because of no saving then we will bite the bullet as we have done in the past but if there is a saving whatever the amount that will avoid our council tax being put up then so be it.

Hey. You're the one who moved next door to a tip. You may have been misled about its future closure but you still did it.I also presume you'll be campaigning for the closure of all tips on the basis that somebody lives near them? Or not? 

As it happens, there's no way this facility will stay open. It's been a done deal for months and all this palaver with the Executive Committee and the 'consultation' is just the usual charade that they give a stuff what residents think about anything. They'll close it and plonk the occassional skip down somewhere in Appleton, although I assume you won't be using it.  

I'll make this point and then run for cover.

Why not put a small charge on using the tip? After all it costs quite a bit to have a skip delivered to your home and it may well work out cheaper than driving half way round Warrington to the next available tip.

Why not put a small charge on using the tip? After all it costs quite a bit to have a skip delivered to your home and it may well work out cheaper than driving half way round Warrington to the next available tip.

Good idea. Has it been suggested?

Hi Dizzy,

It was once said of us at Brindley Court that it was a case of "NIMBY" when we stated our case. It seems that in respect of your black bag/s that might attract flies and vermin at your home you prefer to dump them at ours. Is this a case of "NIMBY" or are we just missing a point. As we have said before if Sandy Lane has to stay open because of no saving then we will bite the bullet as we have done in the past but if there is a saving whatever the amount that will avoid our council tax being put up then so be it.

Hi Dessy

I'm afraid you are missing the point and nothing NIMBY about using tips that are there for people to take their rubbish to if they have a need.  If I had chosen to buy a house next to a tip then to be honest I wouldn't feel I had a lot or right to complain really if the set up was the same now as it always had been and maybe if it was really bothering me I'd just move. 

I realise you thought it was going though so please don't take offense at that comment.  

Re the flies and vermin well I don't ever recall going to the tip and being surrounded by flies nor do I remember any stench there either.   They have huge metal containers, as you know, and non recyclable bun waste etc waste is put in those and then gets encased behind the big metal inner door as they move the waste down and inside.  It's not like people are just sticking their stinky stuff in an open container for days on end.  If you meant rats then there will be a lot in the area anyway because of the canal and as they can't get to food waste in the container skips at the tip I doubt there is much to entice them there really and the site is kept very clean.

In fact when I go tonight to take my black bin waste (not excess waste but with the hot weather and no shaded area in our yard so it's starting to smell and attract flies again despite having been bleached out last Wednesday and having daily doses of Bin Fresh and Febreeze.... another week to go until collection day so best do it now) so I'll keep an eye out for any flies or smells there when I go.

In the case of my black bags I suppose I could just dump them somewhere or leave them in the backs like other people do rather than being responsible and taking them to the tip like we are supposed to do.    

It should be free as after all we all pay enough council tax but to be honest I wouldn't actually mind having to pay say up to 50p to take my rubbish there.  Better value for money than paying 50p to park in the local car park too.

Ingenious and re my earlier comment...... I've just found a way to stop the flies congregating on my black bin in the heat today so our back yard is now virtually a fly free zone :D 
I've hung the hosepipe over the washing line bracket and it's spraying a constant mist of water all over the bin.  Good job I'm not on a water meter though :lol:

Ingenious and re my earlier comment...... I've just found a way to stop the flies congregating on my black bin in the heat today so our back yard is now virtually a fly free zone :D 

I've hung the hosepipe over the washing line bracket and it's spraying a constant mist of water all over the bin.  Good job I'm not on a water meter though :lol:

Good idea Diz and by the end of the day your only problem will be frogs.

:lol: :lol: I like frogs so that's ok.  This is the first time in a few months that I've actually been able to sit outside for more than a minute when the sun is out...... that's another story though and has just reminded me I started a topic about my major fly infestation (which is now sorted) so I'll update that one next.

Back to the tip discussion on there then.................