Warrington Cenotaph.... move or leave ?

Dizzy

In answer to your questions Tara_dad

As far as I'm aware thankfully I have no ancestors who's names are listed on the memorial at the Cenotaph but that may be just that I've not found who they are yet so maybe I don't really have any right to answer or give an opinion really having possibly not lost one of own but I still will.

Personally I don't know anyone (friends, neighbours, family etc) who have ever said they have great difficulty visiting there although many of the older people around here who I know who served in WW2 probably wouldn't complain out loud in conversation anyway when others were not as lucky as they were and didn't come home.   I know many do go on Remembrance Sunday but not sure if they go any other time of the year too.  

I'd imagine if it was moved though they would find it easier to visit if they did want to go more often.

I have not been very often because of its location although in reality I could quite easily get to it, but in saying that I don't want it to sound like I am not very respectful and grateful to all the people who have gone into service past and present. I have the greatest respect for them all and every time I pass the Cenotaph at Bridge Foot I look, remember and I bow my head in respect (still keeping my eyes on the traffic of course). 

In a way that's why I think it's good being where it is because like I've said before it's in a central spot where people can’t help but see it and remember.

A flag sounds like a lovely idea but then if the cenotaph was moved to somewhere more out of the way like Victoria Park most people wouldn't see the flag just like most wouldn't see the Cenotaph :(

No stories to relay about safety there but I will ask people if I see them.

Well WBC is about to spend millions on revamping the market sq, maybe they could consider a spot for the Cenotath.

I wonder what would be the cost of moving it, I guess a drop in the ocean compared with the money they waste on road improvements, pedestrianizing side streets and so on

I've mentioned before that there are other smaller cenotaphs and memorials in Warrington.   Having checked some of the names on the Stockton Heath and Walton Cenotaphs against those on Algy's Bridge Foot photos none of the the SH/Walton names are listed on it as I suspected.

With so many other Cenotaphs and memorials though maybe out of respect to all those who fell too and their families it may be more fitting to create a lovely new memorial area somewhere more suitable and quiet where people can sit, reflect and remember their loved ones or just go to pay their respects to people they never knew. 

I just think it would be lovely to have somewhere which incorporates reference to ALL the fallen of Warrington rather than just to move the existing Bridge Foot one somewhere else.

PS. thanks to you uploading your photo's again Algy I've just noticed two names on there that could well be my ancestors after all.

I've mentioned before that there are other smaller cenotaphs and memorials in Warrington.   Having checked some of the names on the Stockton Heath and Walton Cenotaphs against those on Algy's Bridge Foot photos none of the the SH/Walton names are listed on it as I suspected.

With so many other Cenotaphs and memorials though maybe out of respect to all those who fell too and their families it may be more fitting to create a lovely new memorial area somewhere more suitable and quiet where people can sit, reflect and remember their loved ones or just go to pay their respects to people they never knew. 

I just think it would be lovely to have somewhere which incorporates reference to ALL the fallen of Warrington rather than just to move the existing Bridge Foot one somewhere else.

PS. thanks to you uploading your photo's again Algy I've just noticed two names on there that could well be my ancestors after all.

But I guess it depends what you want the cenotaph to be, if it is for individuals to go and remember then it should be some place quiet, if it for everyone to recall and remind then it should be some place prominent

coffee you say

But I guess it depends what you want the cenotaph to be, if it is for individuals to go and remember then it should be some place quiet, if it for everyone to recall and remind then it should be some place prominent

I think it should be both

dizzy you are right

I think now service men and women names should be all in one place in Warrington all whom have been killed in any war or conflict, but full records should be available to the public at a Fick of a switch its hard trying to find out about these service men on the storys about there lives or how they where

killed as in the end they give there lives so we can tell our children our story's on our lives pass and present

TD.... I have just looked at the pdf you have uploaded and I have to say that the sentiment is a good one, but it really needs to have a better title, spelling and grammar to be taken seriously....

I am not trying to have a go here (for once), Julie is my Cousin and I have been trying to get our Great Uncles name on the memorial for a while now and agree wholeheartedly that the memorial needs to be moved somewhere more accessible, but if you are putting out petitions for people to read and sign, they have to understand what they are reading and signing.

Tara_dad  only people on facebook who are actual members of your 'group' can see the petition sheet via your link.

I completely agree with Baz and you need to be very precise with all the wording on a petition so that it is 100% clear to people what they are signing for

Yes you can explain to people face to face and yes although they may know exactly what they are signing for once you hand it over to the council their will try to find any way to dispute your petition especially if sheets are just left in shops or works notice boards without anyone to explain what it's all about.

I have been involved in a petition to the council in that past and believe me they tried everything they could to drag it to bits such as saying people didn't know exactly what they were signing, or that some of the people didn't live in the area etc etc etc  (where people live is sort of irrelevant really as the accepted guidelines appertaining to a petition say that anyone is entitled to sign a petition if they “live, work, go shopping, visit or go to school in an area”  

As long as you make sure from the outset that your header information is 100% clear and details exactly what aiming to achieve and why,  and of course you have the following columns you will be fine.... PRINTED NAMESIGNATURE, *ADDRESS, POSTCODE, *AGE.  

(*  it's best to have a full address but as long as you have a postcode it's ok really but not quite as good...... AGE, a very good one to have in your case but obviously up to the person signing if they want to state their age or not, some ladies don't like doing that or tell fibs :lol: )

Good luck :)

I agree too and it does seem the most logical place for ease of access and suitability. 

Saying that though I still have the underlying thought pecking at my head that it will not be as prominent for all to see there as it is now as it's a constant reminder to everyone on daily to everyone passed through the town.   If it is moved then I can't help but think that something also needs to remain or be put on the existing site too.

Before anyone says... yes I know people shouldn't have to be reminded but sadly some do :(

I agree too and it does seem the most logical place for ease of access and suitability. 

Saying that though I still have the underlying thought pecking at my head that it will not be as prominent for all to see there as it is now as it's a constant reminder to everyone on daily to everyone passed through the town.   If it is moved then I can't help but think that something also needs to remain or be put on the existing site too.

Before anyone says... yes I know people shouldn't have to be reminded but sadly some do :(

I've lived in Warrington since the 80's and it was some time before I noticed that the cenotaph was at Bridge Foot !! I guess I'm usually traveling by car and am claiming navigational priority in crossing what is one of the most complex roundabouts i've encountered !

I went past the cenotaph yesterday and it looked really nice.  The large bed on the left is full of poppies which are starting to bloom and the one on the right had lovely manicured grass with flowers around the edge. 

So I went back today and walked over to take some photo's only to switch my camera on and to find 'no camera card'.  It was still in the slot on my computer at home :wacko:  

Today is Armed Forces Day.... and no flag flying at the War Memorial in town.... says it all really

:( Has there ever been a flag flying there on Armed Forces Day in the past as I can't remember seeing one.