Warrington Cenotaph.... move or leave ?

Dizzy

I've bought a spare 30gb one today so I'll do that Wolfie :P  You know what I was said about having missed you... well I take it back :lol:

Diz, it was after reading your post about taking photos without a memory card when I realised how much I had missed you.  :wink: 

Do people really look at the cenotaph and remember, as they are negotiating a crazy road system with lanes that don't 'work'?  I think probably not:(  The idea of siting it at the Town Hall/Bank Park sounds good.  Perhaps the 106 agreement for the next developer building in Warrington could be do move the cenotaph and create seating, landscaping etc

• Upvote 1

Do people really look at the cenotaph and remember, as they are negotiating a crazy road system with lanes that don't 'work'?  I think probably not:(  The idea of siting it at the Town Hall/Bank Park sounds good.  Perhaps the 106 agreement for the next developer building in Warrington could be do move the cenotaph and create seating, landscaping etc

'Will people really look at the cenotaph and remember'........................... wherever they put it ? apart from once a year maybe. 

I alway look at it and bow my head in respect and remembrance of all those who lost their lives in all wars when I'm sat at the lights or stuck in traffic there all the time Ann and you can;t help but notice it.

If it is moved then I agree that the front of the town hall/bank park would be the best place.   Definitely NOT Queens Gardens though as it's not very nice to go round there on your own as it can be a bit intimidating when the grots are hanging about.   

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
'Will people really look at the cenotaph and remember'........................... wherever they put it ? apart from once a year maybe.

members of the south Lancashire veterans go quiet a lot but don't go as much as its to dangerous to go often. family's visit their love ones who have died and friends school trip go there as well so no its not just one a year,

ask every man woman and child in Warrington where and what is the cenotaph they will tell you now is that not remembering :)

who said anything about going!! it was about remembering

I said who goes so people go more than once a year.

every one in Warrington knows about it and where it is and what its for

who said anything about going!! it was about remembering

Tara, you are obviously having problems with your reading as well as spelling.

I asked the question 'Will people look at the cenotaph and remember ............................ wherever they put it'

It's nothing to do with everyone knowing where it is and what it's for......... I know where the Bus station is, and the Police Station and my local vets and what they are there for but I never go there.

lasts bit on this now

you know where the Bus station is yes and you know what it is yes and what its for yes same with all the others so you remember, same with the Police Station local vets and what they are there for

why do you keep saying going there!!! are you that lonely you need to talk

your quote 'Will people really look at the cenotaph and remember'........................... wherever they put it ? apart from once a year maybe.

I say YES and people use it more than ones a year

that's it easy as you cant come up with anything new to say ill leave it with you now to have the last say :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cllr Hannon.... the peoples champion!!!!!

The bloke is a joke. loved his quote "“In our considerations, we have placed a great emphasis on making sure we respect the past" If that was the case they would move the memorial away from countless streams of constant traffic and pollution and would place it at the front of the Town Hall where it would gain the respect it truly deserves

Even the war memorials trust are talking like they have never even seen where the Warrington Memorial is.... the quote "when the area around the memorial may change to accommodate changing opportunities and priorities within the town." is exactly what has happened here

The memorial was on the side of a main road in and out of the town and visible to all that passed it.... since the addition of a new bridge and a million lanes of traffic, it is now isolated on an island of pollution and noise.... quite possibly THE most unsuitable position in the entire town...... sticking it in the middle of the home supporters stand at the rugby ground would be a more peaceful location

• Upvote 1

Aren't there plans (or talks) of the lower end of Bridge Street where it meets and crosses Mersey Street where the grass island is all being pedestrianised as part of the Bridge Foot Waterfront project.  I'm sure I saw a coloured plan of it not long ago on one of the councils regeneration documents.  If that was to happen then the Cenotaph would be in an ideal positin, still central to where it was intended to be and very easy to access with no roads to cross at all.